Would you eat it?

svsolaris

Caught a lovely 57cm pike caught last night on a small live poddy with single servo hook through the mouth, 1.5m under a float and 40cm behind a medium-sized sinker.

BUT this was at Davidson Park. Would you eat fish out of the Rozelle area?

Guys are you thinking of long-finned pike aka smelly pike (has a yellow tail)? I am talking about short-finned pike, barracuda's cousin, which is supposed to be excellent eating if you follow the same rules as Aussie salmon: bleed and ice immediately, eat within 48 hours and above all keep them in the fridge, not the freezer. Generally I like to keep my fish alive in the (big) bucket, then kill at home and refrigerate straight away.

It seems Fisheries NSW has no info on Middle harbour water quality, unless anyone knows where to find it?

Caught a lovely 57cm pike caught last night on a small live poddy with single servo hook through the mouth, 1.5m under a float and 40cm behind a medium-sized sinker.

BUT this was at Davidson Park. Would you eat fish out of the Rozelle area?

We always let them go.... never actually tried one but heard they're not that great.....

BTW - Do you mean Roseville (middle harbour)?

Also - how do you stop the water sloshing around and splashing all over your car with a live fish in it on the way home ? :D

Talk to Huey @ Huet marine Im sure he has something to stop the water splashing through your car :D

Also - how do you stop the water sloshing around and splashing all over your car with a live fish in it on the way home ?

Put a lid on the bucket...

Edited by wher'd all the fish go

RichieR, I use a soft plastic bucket from Howard storage, they bend enough that you can grab both handles with one hand when walking. Drain all but 10cm of water and put a towel on top before loading in the car.

Also sorry I did mean Roseville not Rozelle.

Now some areas are just dodgy: Neutral Bay wharf (50 years of lead paint from the naval base in the silt), bottom of Lane Cove (industrial park), and the worst: Silverwater (ex-Agent Orange production facility!).

But has there ever been any industrial activity in Middle Harbour? If not, I think it might be okay to eat fish from there once in a while (a quarter?) if it's at least 2 weeks after the last rain. Let me know if you think I'm just crazy!

As for the fish, just ate it. And I'm going to make another thread on keeping fish with short shelf life, because it was bloody fantastic!

Edited by SV Solaris

RichieR, I use a soft plastic bucket from Howard storage, they bend enough that you can grab both handles with one hand when walking. Drain all but 10cm of water and put a towel on top before loading in the car.

Also sorry I did mean Roseville not Rozelle.

Now some areas are just dodgy: Neutral Bay wharf (50 years of lead paint from the naval base in the silt), bottom of Lane Cove (industrial park), and the worst: Silverwater (ex-Agent Orange production facility!).

But has there ever been any industrial activity in Middle Harbour? If not, I think it might be okay to eat fish from there once in a while (a quarter?) if it's at least 2 weeks after the last rain. Let me know if you think I'm just crazy!

As for the fish, just ate it. And I'm going to make another thread on keeping fish with short shelf life, because it was bloody fantastic!

Roseville is generally OK. Just avoid it after heavy rains. The water is clean at the moment considering there were bonito and frigate mackerel at the bridge the other day chasing bait. Kings were upstream of the bridge a week ago as well but they're very hard to get up there. Especially on lures.

Cheers, Tom

Guys are you thinking of long-finned pike aka smelly pike (has a yellow tail)? I am talking about short-finned pike, barracuda's cousin, which is supposed to be excellent eating if you follow the same rules as Aussie salmon: bleed and ice immediately, eat within 48 hours and above all keep them in the fridge, not the freezer. Generally I like to keep my fish alive in the (big) bucket, then kill at home and refrigerate straight away.

It seems Fisheries NSW has no info on Middle harbour water quality, unless anyone knows where to find it?

It's been proven that you're better off killing the fish straight away and putting it on ice rather than keeping it alive in a bucket with limited oxygen causing it compounded stress with the confined space then killing it later.

Fishingphase

G'day...keeping the fish alive until you get home sounds a little extreme. I just gut and gill every fish on location and if it's not too far, I like to take a bag of ice for either the bucket or a rock pool, to make a slurry. This keeps em in tip top condition and you can scale and wash them in sea water rather than fresh water.

Never tried pike, but not sure if I'm keen for that.