An Autumn mixed bag on plastics

rjc123

Hey raiders,

Times have been a little tough lately fishing wise. Especially on the jewfish front. Put in big time for no result :mad3: Luckily there's still been a few fish around to keep my obsession healthy! Bream have been in good numbers. I've ditched the yak and done a fair bit of land based breaming around the harbour resulting in some nice fish to 37cm. When fishing ultra light you have to be prepared to lose a few good fish, and boy did i experience this. Hooked a ridiculous amount of 40+ bream and not one was landed... Most of which were sight cast to with small plastics. The overall average bream has been very healthy though at 30-31. The by-catch has been a LOT of fun! Mainly bonito and some nice tailor. Even managed a watsons leaping bonito as by-catch too. Some great fun on 1-2kg gear! All bream and pelagics taken on the Z-man 2.5" Grubz in "Watermelon Red" and "Bloodworm" as well as the 3.75" streakz in "smelt".

post-14949-0-84480000-1369205409_thumb.png post-14949-0-78200400-1369205423_thumb.png

post-14949-0-17269800-1369205728_thumb.png

The times i have used the yak have been spent predominantly up in the hawkesbury chasing EP's. The good ones are still eluding me! Yet to manage one over 35. Still a pleasant target at any size. Average fish has been around the 30cm mark. I can see why people call them the "barra of the south" through this pic! If only they put on a similar aerial show as well! They've also fancied the grubz as usual "watermelon red" has been my "go-to" colour.

post-14949-0-14246600-1369206359_thumb.png

Before the pelagic season was over had to have one last crack at them. This time from the stones. Had intentions of finding a kingfish or two while spinning 40-60g metals and even throwing some poppers around. No kings came to the party but we got onto some nice tailor (50+) on a mix of Halco roosta poppers and raider 40g metals. They were a bit of fun on relatively light gear for the stones!

post-14949-0-44563100-1369206866_thumb.png

Hopefully the salmon and trevs will keep me busy over the next few months! I'm "jew" for another jew me thinks so will see how that goes...

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

Top report and fish as always. :biggrinthumb: That is a nice 37 cm bream, they go hard! Only a matter of time before you land more 40+. I think finding them first is the hard part and it looks like you have that box ticked. About the EP, if they are averaging 30's then it shouldn't be too long to find a 35 one in the bunch.

With all jew respect, I do not think you are necessarily over-jew for jew according to the jew-ration. The jew is a bejewelled catch and one must not mull(oway) too long on even getting in a jew-l with one for one's sanity!

Edited by nbdshroom

Nice little report there tom! bad luck on those big bream, surely you will be getting one soon (percentages should say) what rod are you using there? Good too see some nice sized EP out and about aswell one of my favourites to catch down here! I still havent caught a jew and I have been trying for quite a few years now!

Top stuff Tom.

That's a great mixed bag with some really nice fish in that lot.

Don't worry about the jew mate. It happens to all of us!

Cheers,

Grant.

It sure does Grant! It's all part of the challenge i guess ^_^

Top report and fish as always. :biggrinthumb: That is a nice 37 cm bream, they go hard! Only a matter of time before you land more 40+. I think finding them first is the hard part and it looks like you have that box ticked. About the EP, if they are averaging 30's then it shouldn't be too long to find a 35 one in the bunch.

With all jew respect, I do not think you are necessarily over-jew for jew according to the jew-ration. The jew is a bejewelled catch and one must not mull(oway) too long on even getting in a jew-l with one for one's sanity!

Too true. They've earned themselves an extremely elusive reputation. It does get slightly frustrating though after 15+ jewless sessions where you know they are :( They have a habit of surprising us when we least expect it though!

Nice little report there tom! bad luck on those big bream, surely you will be getting one soon (percentages should say) what rod are you using there? Good too see some nice sized EP out and about aswell one of my favourites to catch down here! I still havent caught a jew and I have been trying for quite a few years now!

If i hadn't caught a few 40+ bream before i would have stepped the tackle up but 1-2kg gear is my favourite way to target them. That way you get a good fight out of smaller sub 30 bream. I'm using the Daiwa Black Label Versatile 6'10" 3-5lb matched to a Daiwa 2000 Caldia for landbased breaming. A sweet little combo. A REAL challenge on the bigger bream though. Having said this it's caught me bream to 43cm in heavy structure so it's certainly capable. It makes an awesome topwater bream/whiting rod as well!

Thanks for that Tom just wondering as my search for a new combo gets nearer. I know what you mean though about light lining fish, I'm just stubborn when it comes to being beat by fish :1prop:

'

I don't learn mate! :-rolleyes Always kick myself after getting done by a good fish but light tackle is somewhat of an addiction! Have a look at the black label technical 6'4" 4-10lb rod. It is a brilliant close quarters breaming rod. My mate uses it on big bream in tight water and has got them to 44 on it. It's got a LOT of power for it's rating. Perfect all round rod. Even a good openwater light jewie rod! The Nordic Stage Areals are really nice too... Just bought the 6'6" Jaegar 4-8lb model. Can't wait to give it a run!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

'

I don't learn mate! :-rolleyes Always kick myself after getting done by a good fish but light tackle is somewhat of an addiction! Have a look at the black label technical 6'4" 4-10lb rod. It is a brilliant close quarters breaming rod. My mate uses it on big bream in tight water and has got them to 44 on it. It's got a LOT of power for it's rating. Perfect all round rod. Even a good openwater light jewie rod! The Nordic Stage Areals are really nice too... Just bought the 6'6" Jaegar 4-8lb model. Can't wait to give it a run!

Cheers, Tom

Yea I only just learnt after loosing a few fish in a row in a comp...... some would say learning the hard way! Personally Im looking at the Generation Black Drunknmonkey, a mate just bought it and its amazing..... match it with a 1000 Ci4 I am thinking

Yea I only just learnt after loosing a few fish in a row in a comp...... some would say learning the hard way! Personally Im looking at the Generation Black Drunknmonkey, a mate just bought it and its amazing..... match it with a 1000 Ci4 I am thinking

Yeah I've heard the Gen Blacks are good bang for your buck! Getting the new certate! Looking forward to puting it to good use! Very tempting to save a little more and go for the stella though B)

Cheers, Tom

Brilliant mixed bag mate, well done! Facinated by the tailor on the popper, what action and speed were you using?

Good luck with the Jewie, hoping for a winner myself!

Good job!

Brilliant mixed bag mate, well done! Facinated by the tailor on the popper, what action and speed were you using?

Good luck with the Jewie, hoping for a winner myself!

Good job!

I was just working it with a relatively quick "pop, pop, pop, pop" retrieve. We have gotten them on both fast and slow retrieves with poppers though.

I was just working it with a relatively quick "pop, pop, pop, pop" retrieve. We have gotten them on both fast and slow retrieves with poppers though.

Cheers mate, been trying a popper off the rocks for tailor lately but no luck. Glad to see some excellent fish can be caught that way! I'll keep trying...

Yeah I've heard the Gen Blacks are good bang for your buck! Getting the new certate! Looking forward to puting it to good use! Very tempting to save a little more and go for the stella though B)

Cheers, Tom

Oh, that will spoil yourself. i played with a stella today....... WOW, if i could afford one i would have it by now haha

Oh, that will spoil yourself. i played with a stella today....... WOW, if i could afford one i would have it by now haha

Yeah they're very impressive aren't they! The 4000 would make a great jew reel. Definitely worth the price IMO.

Excellent work Tom :thumbup:

Inspiring report as always and nice photos too!

Nice classy looking outfit as well.

The fishing Gods will reward you very soon with a beast of a Mulloway as you deserve it. That will be a cracker of a report from you and I very much look forward to it.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best

Ian

I have a drunk monkey and its absolutely amazing. mine is matched to a 1000 symmetre 4lb power pro. i have caught so many bream and big carp too. (even a duck accidentally)

Good work tom the bream have gone off this year most times there have been 30+cm bream every sesh.i have had now the rain has come the bigger mods will go off.oh you might have to come down these ways to crack you ep theres been some crackers around

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Good work tom the bream have gone off this year most times there have been 30+cm bream every sesh.i have had now the rain has come the bigger mods will go off.oh you might have to come down these ways to crack you ep theres been some crackers around

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

My normal honey holes have shut down but I've taken a leaf out of your book and done some exploring for new spots. I'll crack that good perch soon ;)

Good stuff. Pleasure to read as always. Just wondering if you could share where you picked up those bream?

I've got them all through the parra and LCR. Not really specific spots just flicking all areas with heavy structure. Pyrmont isn't a bad starting point. Just ensure you fish the spots that are allowed to fishing.

Nice fish Tom!!

As ben said come down our way if you want to get a few ep's there's been some stonkers around :D

Hopefully both you and I can crack a silver ghost this winter

cheers

matt