Winter breaming! - 1/6/13

rjc123

Head out today in the yak back up the hawkesbury way. It's been a while since i've been on the yak so was keen as ever. Especially to test out my latest purchase, a Nordic Stage Jaegar 4-8lb. Hit my favourite bream spot first up and had something strange keep happening. On the drop ever few casts i'd get hit and hook up. A few nice headshakes and plenty of weight but they just seemed to all "fall off" before could lay eyes on them. I honestly have no clue what they were. Might have been soapies but i'll never know. Fairly sure they weren't EP's. Kept working the steep bank and managed a few legals in quick succession in the high 20's before moving on.

Next spot fished very well. Real steep bank dropping straight into 6m of water. In a short time frame managed some slightly better bream to 33cm. Ended up having a double hook up on bream with one scoffing the blade i had sitting 3 feet behind the yak and the other on the grubz. Watrmelon Red Grubz matched to TT 1/12 jigheads were the go as usual.

Came across a big patch of EP's a short while later and unfortunately had to move on due to today being the start of the closed season :( There were pelagics everywhere today frigates and bonnies shooting around everywhere but they are feeding on very specific bait and near impossible to match the hatch. Still managed one frigate after some persistence.

Had a pretty good haul overall with 15 or so good bream to 33cm, plenty of tailor to 40cm and a couple of flatties (mid 40's) as bream bycatch.

There were some BIG kings hanging around also.... Didn't even bother attempting to hook them as these fish were over the meter mark on no match for my Arael :1prop:. Achieved what i set out to at least and always nice to find some fish during winter! Hopefully the pelagics stay around through winter :D Never get sick of those speedsters...

Cheers, Tom

post-14949-0-50247400-1370094445_thumb.png post-14949-0-39392200-1370094488_thumb.png

post-14949-0-89651900-1370094501_thumb.png post-14949-0-71716600-1370094515_thumb.png

Edited by mulloway man

Hey Tom great report mate. I remember years ago we used to fish the vines in the hawksbury and boy did we get some thumper bream. We used to consistently get them in the low to mid forties and even a beauty my dad caught once at 52cm. It's been years since I've tried there not sure if it still fires like it used to.

I'm hoping this winter brings some nice bream in Botany Bay. Love coming home with a feed of bream. Great pics too...

Cheers Daniel

Great fish as usual. I was talking to a guy at a tackle shop and he said squid have been dashing the grubs! So I think maybe it could have been squid, and they weren't actually hook, just holding on.

Hey Tom great report mate. I remember years ago we used to fish the vines in the hawksbury and boy did we get some thumper bream. We used to consistently get them in the low to mid forties and even a beauty my dad caught once at 52cm. It's been years since I've tried there not sure if it still fires like it used to.

I'm hoping this winter brings some nice bream in Botany Bay. Love coming home with a feed of bream. Great pics too...

Cheers Daniel

Ah, the vines. Fished it a few times for some nice fish a while back. We got them to 44cm there. The north west corner of milson island near the channel marker has some monsters. A mate got them to just under 50 there fairly consistently. 52cm is a crack of a bream! 50 on lure is my longterm goal. I've lost a couple of this size at plastics at one particular spot. Watched both of them eat and easily 50 fish. Of course they both got me around the pylons like they weren't even attached!

Great fish as usual. I was talking to a guy at a tackle shop and he said squid have been dashing the grubs! So I think maybe it could have been squid, and they weren't actually hook, just holding on.

That's a good point actually. I've got squid there on the grubz before. Never occured to me but i'd say that's probably it

Good stuff tom nice breambos

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

No problems on the bream but looks like i'll have to wait til september 1 to get that 40+ perch :1wallbash: Having trouble cracking the perch code despite how easy a lot say it is.

Nicely done Tom!

Another informative and inspiring report from you :clapping:

Great catches and nice photos too.

Looks like a lovely tranquil stretch of water there.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the tremendous work.

Ian

Nice work tom! some nice bream and other bits and pieces..... also im sure you were half tempted with those kings..... would have certainly gone on a nice ride! With those Zmans because they stretch so much the bass guys find when they are deep plastics fishing that the bass will bite and hold onto the tail, because they have so much stretch you can feel the weight and fish fight then nothing as they let go of it. try rigging a stinger hook next time, even if it is squid you might be able to land a few for dinner

great work on the haul of bream , gotta agree with the squid theory from Mr Fish they have been chasing my soft plastics and shredding them as well in Botany Bay, few weeks back i dropped a jig over the side while i was flickin in the other direction and managed a nice squid soon after.

cheers Mark

Nice work tom! some nice bream and other bits and pieces..... also im sure you were half tempted with those kings..... would have certainly gone on a nice ride! With those Zmans because they stretch so much the bass guys find when they are deep plastics fishing that the bass will bite and hold onto the tail, because they have so much stretch you can feel the weight and fish fight then nothing as they let go of it. try rigging a stinger hook next time, even if it is squid you might be able to land a few for dinner

Yeah i'll try a stinger for sure. For deepwater bream i often do the same as what your describing for the bass guys.. The grubz are the perfect candidate.

great work on the haul of bream , gotta agree with the squid theory from Mr Fish they have been chasing my soft plastics and shredding them as well in Botany Bay, few weeks back i dropped a jig over the side while i was flickin in the other direction and managed a nice squid soon after.

cheers Mark

Yeah I'm pretty sold on them being squid now. Will chuck out a jig next time for sure. It was hard to tell as my sounders out of action at the moment. The only hesitation i'm having towards it being squid is they didn't at all fight like squid. A cross between a soapie and lethargic bream.

Cheers, Tom