Clifton Gardens Today

Guest mike2153

Guest mike2153

Hi guys decided to have a crack at Clifton Garden today.

Got there about 630 and was already packed the good spots already taken.

Quickly got some yakkas then sent one out on a float but was to hard with people around since the yakka wanted to swim around the wharf everywhere. Had the float out for about 30mins before putting a sinker on and sending him out. Someone caught a bonito which had a few king fish following it right up to the wharf but apart from that there was no fish being caught from 630 till 930.

Was anyone there today?

Hi guys decided to have a crack at Clifton Garden today.

Got there about 630 and was already packed the good spots already taken.

Quickly got some yakkas then sent one out on a float but was to hard with people around since the yakka wanted to swim around the wharf everywhere. Had the float out for about 30mins before putting a sinker on and sending him out. Someone caught a bonito which had a few king fish following it right up to the wharf but apart from that there was no fish being caught from 630 till 930.

Was anyone there today?

Planning to hit up Clifton after my exams in a weeks time, let the water cool a bit more and you should find some horse trevs coming in this time of the year through till Oct

I was there Yesterday and only managed 1 Trev which was great. Only 1 other guy caught a trev also and another guy caught 2 bream. Other thatn that no one else caught anything. Pitty though that some guys leave the place so dirty.....

cheers

Ad

Guest mike2153

good old clifton gardens! use to go there alot with my old man and brothers, did u catch anything decent?

Nar mate didnt catch anything except yakkas, i just went for a quick fish, just put a livie out and left him to see if anything was intrested.

Seriously the disrespect some fishos have on the environment i.e. leaving bait bags, plastic bags, garbage, old baits and other general waster. People that disrespect the environment should undergo public humiliation and be publically embarassed and or fined. Wish there was a way we could easily make that report to the authorities annoymously

I have fished clifton many many times. There is a garbage bin and a wash sink on the wharf so there is no excuse but most of the time I find people use the bin which is great. Clifton fishes well at certain times and horrible at others. I have seen school of tailor come and go - yakkas to 30+cm! Lots and lots of little bream and the odd blackfish crusing around the weed / pylons - Just got to be persistant. I personally prefer beach fishing now - But clifton is great for kids and getting first timers to feel what catching a fish feels like. I wouldnt go there targetting a feed

So does that mean the place is basically over-fished i.e. most sedentary fish are gone so the predators don't bother coming as much anymore?

It's not that mate, it's sometimes the people you see there make you hate the spot, eg 6-7 rods per person, casting over your lines, yelling out to someone in the carpark from the end of the wharf at 5 in the morning, crude behaviour etc. you go there to relax and "some" idiots ruin it.

Yep, I won't go near the place anymore. Last time I was there a 'gentleman' had 4 rods out. Two were running parallel to the wharf and the other two were straight out. I stood there for a minute not quite believing what I was seeing. I then approached him and explained that he can't simply dominate one entire side of the wharf to himself and that he wasn't the only person who would like to use the public wharf. He looked silently at me as I spoke and then turned away to face his rods again. I contemplated picking his rods up and throwing them into the water. My girlfriend convinced me to just leave, so we did. Not only did I pay an extortionate amount for a few hours parking but I never even got my line wet. I've never been back.

If you've fished around Sydney, odds are you've fished at Clifton gardens...

If you've only got the option of fishing there over the weekend, odds are it will be packed, and it gets quite territorial. Best thing you can do is try and claim you're section of the railing by standing your rods at intervals and planting your gear so its fairly evident that part of the warf has been claimed.

As previously mentioned you will encounter complete morons that have a complete lack of respect for:

(i) the fisherman around them

(ii) the residents

(iii) and the warf itself

Putting that aside its not a bad place to fish. It produces at times and on a nice day it's very relaxing. You get the possibility of a lot of different species, using corresponding methods of course. You can get bonito, oz salmon, silver trevally, bream, flathead, leather jacket, luderick, yellowtail, slimey mackerel, tailor, snapper, garfish, octopus, squid and kingfish.

These are all species iv personally caught there, or gotten smoked by.

Fishingphase

I just got back from NZ. It was the best fishing experience I have had and not because of the number and size of the fish we caught, but because of the people. Polite and friendly fishers willing to share their space and a story. Loved it. Took the boat out last week (Botany Bay), anchored, set my lines and within 30 minutes there were three boats all over me. The guys in the boats were together and had me so frustrated and fearful that I upped anchor. They had a good laugh and jiberred in their own tongue as I motored off. I'm going back to NZ.

Edited by phatnat

Yeh you do have the odd wanker no matter where you go...thats my put off for fishing sydney tbh

Here in Wollongong area its pretty good for the most part and even the "popular" spots arent too bad for crowds(excluding bass point, hill 60 and Windang).

The problem is having a word to someone will more than likely result in having a filleting knife through the back....

Yeh so true 'etiquet' i think its called' but when people start getting ignorant, for eg using there nationality to advantage n pretending to not speak english, it gets unpractical! Especialy when they dont realize u can understand it'' puts me off fishn these days! '

Nothing has changed,fished there regular 25 yrs ago.Its not just the Wharf they hog/intimidate but also the BBQ areas.They will play rough near families/infants etc.Been plenty of stabbings and assaults there.Rangers dont do much about the buckets full of baby fish as they are prob too scared.My missus used to go off her head at them....and call the ranger.

Mainly fished winter for Blacks and my favourite John Dory.

Four guys fishing out of one boat and only one is catching all the fish so the boys send him packing up to the bow. I was still catching fish which only shows you that I had the right rig and bait presentation and luck. If you went fishing for bluefin at Bermagui and you hear the fish are on the surface 2k away every boat gathers in very close proximity and burlies. More bait ,more fish for more fisherman and every one was smiling but it only takes one goose to ruin an otherwise productive day. Good luck next time.

I fish there regularly and can say there are a lot of bad people and also some very nice guys. Go mid week and during the day and I assure you there will be little crowds and good quality people.

I had so many good childhood memories fishing there. I don't feel comfortable taking my kids there now as these rude people just don't get the Australian culture of taking it easy and having fun.