long reef mixed bag 10/6/13

fisholb

Took my 4 fishing mates on their 1st deep sea fishing adventure. Arrived at d marina around 630am and hit d water by 7am. 1st stop was d artificial reef to try n jig some kingys. Within 5mins lost d jigs to d jackets. Decided to move to longy n check if d snapper r there. Didnt take long before we started catching a mixed bag of snapper morwong flathead. Plenty of throw backs. We had a steady bites all day. Were caught morwong up to 52cm flattys up to 59cm snapper up to 45cm. The weather was excellent. Little wind little swell. We used pillys n cali squid for bait. Back at wharf by 4pm. Just wanna say a big thank u to Dennis for taking us out on his boat and to my mate mick for helping me make it come true. All the boys really had a great time specially me. Until the next adventure. Hopefully I can hook a yellowfin soon.

post-18634-0-34328100-1371050540_thumb.jpg

Edited by fisholb

nice catch. bummer about the jackets. a few kingies would have topped the day off

Yeah...d jackets r always a pain in d pocket...we always lose plenty of tackle when they r around...a couple of kingys would have been really good...thanks

Morwong can be a a good fish to eat if you do the following , spike its brain and bleed, fillet and skin ready for the deep fryer the same day , or if its a large fish i like to cut it into cutlets , marinade in oil and lemon and bbq over coals , baste with marinade during cooking, the problem with allot of people is that while they can be great fishermen, they don't go to the trouble they should with their catch, they can also be everedge to poor cooks, so the end result after all for a tasty fish like a johndory ,bream, whiting, or a flathead can be good to ok instead off a meal that they can remember for a very long time , take a lesser quality fish like a morwong and most people will struggle to bring the best out of it if they don't go to the trouble they should in the first place. not being a know it all , just trying to help.