Sambo Bonanza

SMn

Hi,

Was hoping for a jewie ended up bagging out on sambos. Had 6 squid baits primed for a jewie but each was snavelled up as they hit the water by some big fat salmon! Smallest was 45cm biggest was 63cm... kept the big one as it was attacked by a shark on the way in. Put on an incredible acrobatic display trying to allude the man in a grey suit, was an awesome sight! Had a some nasty gashes from the encounter and was bleeding pretty bad, so decided to keep instead of releasing back among the surfers. I managed 8 sambos between the six baits, even casting the squid scraps left on the hooks managed 2 hook ups, stoked! Always a pleasure to catch fish on the Alvey 650a5 and the sambos always put on a solid fight. While no jewie tonight, 8 sambos off the beach was a marvellous experience and enjoyed every minute! Green curry tonight with fresh sambo!

Hope everyone else is having a top time!

post-24928-0-70601500-1371807261_thumb.jpgpost-24928-0-04780800-1371807317_thumb.jpgpost-24928-0-11151200-1371807366_thumb.jpgpost-24928-0-22009700-1371807436_thumb.jpgpost-24928-0-44244500-1371807494_thumb.jpg

quote name="fisholb" post="482386" timestamp="1371810236"]Well done msn...always love catching sambos off d beach...they r excellent sports fish...my kids love eating them...fillet then pan fried...yummy

Oopps sorry smn...I misspelled your name to msn...bloody smartphone. ..lol

Hahaha no worries my phones the same! Yep don't mind sambos myself with a bit of chilli and garlic...

hope to do the same this weekend

Good stuff!

They are fun arent they

They certainly seem to be around! Hope you hook in!

Great work sMn, always great fun catching sambo's. They put up a reasonable fight and good to see when they're doing acrobats! Well done, good luck on the Jews next time.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks mate hopefully another jew soon! The sambos really punch above their weight.

nice fish there . what end of wombie ? was it at night you caught them . guys have been getting jew off the rocks at terrigal

Just past the walk way from Terrigal bend, about 4.30pm - 5.15pm... went the next arvo and not a bite, but the bloke down from me caught 3 tailor and a sambo on pillies. Top news about the jewies might have a go this arvo if the weather holds up...

Nice catch and top reel choice, what stick you got that strapped to ?

Hi eholdn I usually use an old Butterworth my Grandad gave me as a medium to heavy rod, it's a one piece and teamed with any 650 model will cast anything from an unweighted pillie to a fat slab of flesh with plenty of lead. The sticker on it has long since faded but he told me it was custom made in 1980 (older than me!) Perfect for flathead, sambos, tailor, Trevs, sharks and jewies! Hahaha...

I also have an Alvey economy 650 rod which is nice and light to use and a cheap graphite composite I got online for $20 I use with the Alvey 650gbrc for high speed lures... But I always come back to the plain old (ancient hahaha) 650a5 and Butterworth, never fails when a fish is on.

What's your rod of choice?