Pigs finally on !

VBCB

After that lovely bream yesterday, me and my mate Felix tried again today and eventually pulled a few pigs out.

Mostly shitters I must say, fishes around the 30 cm mark some barely legal that went back.

I managed to land that decent 1.6 kilo fish, while Felix landed a good sized red morwong 1 minute later, looks like it had been speared in the past !

post-30692-0-00894400-1372331279_thumb.jpg

A little bit of fun in a sheltered bay during these still super rough sea conditions .

We ended up landing a good dozen of mix bag in an hour and half before dark, all on fresh prawn, all on circle hook.

post-30692-0-22299700-1372331318_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Tom

Dont think ive ever eaten one,are they good eating?

I really like them, they re one of these fishes that don't taste what they smell. Chunky white flesh, firm, not too bony.

I am not a "fish" person and certainly super fussy with them, don't eat bream for instance, you should definitely give them a go.

Was the prawn weighted?

I am going to hit the reef this weekend.

I have a few piggin spots though my catches have been more random than targeted.

Good stuff

Super light, 2 grams. Nearly impossible to cast in these conditions but they often seat right under your feet. The more naturally it can follow the drift, the best it is... (IMO anyway).

Super light, 2 grams. Nearly impossible to cast in these conditions but they often seat right under your feet. The more naturally it can follow the drift, the best it is... (IMO anyway).

Thanks for the advice!

The reef i usually go to is very shallow and i get busted off very easy.

I might try going lighter and see what happens......first the rain needs to let up!

I know they are at my usual spots as I get these go almighty bites that bend the rod like a salmon would then I lose the fish as I am targeting bream with 8pd mono.

Hopefully I can post a win...

El feroz

Thanks for the advice!

I might try going lighter and see what happens......first the rain needs to let up!

I know they are at my usual spots as I get these go almighty bites that bend the rod like a salmon would then I lose the fish as I am targeting bream with 8pd mono.

El feroz

Look I'm gonna be honest, my hook up rate used to be around 20% before, as you say, the hit is brutal, and their mouth is tough as ... Using circles changed the things big time for me, as they hook themselves on that crasy first run, when they grab the bait and try to get back to their crack or cave ... I'm quite over 50 % hook up rate now, I'm not a circle freak, but it makes the damage when it come to these buggers :) Hope it can help. Size 2 or 1 is good, don't go for the 2/0 of a normal hook you'd use, too big. Circles don't bend open neither, a size 1 mustad would dead lift 4 kilo pig no drama.

Thanks for the advice!

El feroz

What spots you fishing at El feroz?

Fishing Clovelly actually, but don't get fooled, pigs are everywhere, as long as you get shallows, solid rock structures and wash. That spot I fished is actually a shitty spot, but the only one I could fish during these harsh sea conditions.

Drummers a pretty sedentary, that means the least fishos, the more you'll get. I found that the more ugly and unfriendly a ledge looks, the more and the bigger you will get them (once again personal observation, don't claim it to be the only way).

Overfished ledges often result in the catch of numerous tiny fishes from the year, not legal.

If that can help, I found that burley is not often a good thing to do, except if you know exactly where the drift is gonna take the burley to, often too far away, taking all the fishes away with it. What works the best for me is select a ledge where you can fish a dozen of spots, spend 10 /15 minutes on each spot, and move to the next. Pack light. I use fresh prawn, but cooked Vietnamese prawn 9.99$ from coles works the treat as well.

All this is my personal approach, just telling this in case it can help some, I don't want you to think I claim it to be the only way on all regards (for instance I use fresh prawn but the biggest drummers I saw where caught on cabbage), it is an approach that works for me as everywhere I go, I usually get at least a good pig when I target them. But as I say, very easy to challenge, improve or adapt to your personal preferences.

What spots you fishing at El feroz?

There is a nice deep spot at Woonona behind the old council rock pool.

I have tangled with them whilst breaming behind the bulli surf club off the northern end of the rock pool....the swell and tide needs to be decent to bring them in though.

I have tried Coalcliff off the northern ledge but not had much luck.

Going to try the circle hook, under a bobby cork using prawn and bread as bait. . . . hopefully the rain will let up fir just 3 hours tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

Kurraba rd woonona rd?

There is a nice deep spot at Woonona behind the old council rock pool.

I have tangled with them whilst breaming behind the bulli surf club off the northern end of the rock pool....the swell and tide needs to be decent to bring them in though.

I have tried Coalcliff off the northern ledge but not had much luck.

Going to try the circle hook, under a bobby cork using prawn and bread as bait. . . . hopefully the rain will let up fir just 3 hours tomorrow

Did a google search is that pool on Kurraba road Woonona. Looks like a good spot for pigs and bream. Black drummer are a good fighting fish and tastey as well.

Fishing Clovelly actually, but don't get fooled, pigs are everywhere, as long as you get shallows, solid rock structures and wash. That spot I fished is actually a shitty spot, but the only one I could fish during these harsh sea conditions.

Drummers a pretty sedentary, that means the least fishos, the more you'll get. I found that the more ugly and unfriendly a ledge looks, the more and the bigger you will get them (once again personal observation, don't claim it to be the only way).

Overfished ledges often result in the catch of numerous tiny fishes from the year, not legal.

If that can help, I found that burley is not often a good thing to do, except if you know exactly where the drift is gonna take the burley to, often too far away, taking all the fishes away with it. What works the best for me is select a ledge where you can fish a dozen of spots, spend 10 /15 minutes on each spot, and move to the next. Pack light. I use fresh prawn, but cooked Vietnamese prawn 9.99$ from coles works the treat as well.

All this is my personal approach, just telling this in case it can help some, I don't want you to think I claim it to be the only way on all regards (for instance I use fresh prawn but the biggest drummers I saw where caught on cabbage), it is an approach that works for me as everywhere I go, I usually get at least a good pig when I target them. But as I say, very easy to challenge, improve or adapt to your personal preferences.

Thanks for that information. Didn't think you could fish down at Clovelly. I guess with all the rain and big swell that spot was alright for that week.

Kurraba rd woonona rd?

Did a google search is that pool on Kurraba road Woonona. Looks like a good spot for pigs and bream. Black drummer are a good fighting fish and tastey as well.

You bet!

I have been busted off more often than not!

You get kings, salmon, bonito and tailor of there apparently. . . I have seen tailor but not the others

I usually fish with cunji and crabs from the rock pools unweighted but as mentioned before I get dusted pretty quick.

Will try the circle hooks and up my braid.