Leather jackets!

Paddy454

From reading all the reports the jackets seem to be on a commission from the tackle shops!.

I do not mind eating jackets although I do not target them so what would be the best rig to catch them if that is all you are going to get?

Regards,

Paddy

I went out twice with Lj in mind, fun to catch, and easy, they just came in every 2 mins, but you have to be quick.

Long shank hook size 10, 1-2 kg carbonfiber rod, small running sinker with a short leader. Put a small piece of prawn on the hook.

Strike when you feel a nibble, reel in real fast, and sling-shoot them into the boat.

Otherwise the keep chewing on the hook till they reach the line, and then it's good bye.

The last 2 expedition resulted in more the 40 LJ taken out of the water. you can thank me with a beer.

7 foot rod with a pretty subtle tip. 20 pound mono to a black coloured swivel (important - gold or silver swivels seem to attract them and get bitten) and 6 feet of doubled over wire trace after you put a ball lead (enough to get it down - depends on how deep they are) through the wire. With more wire crimp on 3 short strands about 10cm long spaced 30 cm apart up the main wire (from the bottom) to hardened long shanked no. 10 hooks. Bait up with a small fish flesh bait followed with a small piece of squid for added toughness.

As you get to the required depth keep moving the rod tip up and down (only a small amount) till you load up and there you have it, dinner. Not the funnest fishing but it does bring home a feed. I just make the rig up at home and get it out if that's the only stuff around.

If you have fishy smelling hands don't touch the mono or they will bite through and you will need to spend the next 15 minutes re-rigging. Haven't had that many bite offs but caught cricket scores - well at least Australian cricket scores.

you can buy paternoster rigs which are wire covered in a greenish plastic and have 2 clips for hooks best being a small whiting long shank ,and a larger clip on bottom for a small snapper lead ,ive used many times and you wont get bitten off but keep ya mainline clean otherwise only a sniff of bait theyll go staight for it bait used is strips of squid ,if there thick youll get heaps from one squid bait

Drop a big burley bomb down to their level (wire the lid closed) and just pull it up. The little suckers will follow it right up to your boat like a big yellow carpet.

Then quickly cast your rig out as far away from the boat out as you can. It works most of the time.

Cheers

Paikea

They look like a chinaman jacket but only smaller but of similar appearance. Also the same sandy looking colour. They can sometimes ruin a day when you are chasing other specimens. Still good fun anyway