Middle Harbour - Blading the depths!

rjc123

Headed out on the weekend back to middle harbour to pursue some more winter kings. Unfortunately, this time there were none about. Maybe they've finally moved out for the rest of winter :ranting2: The plan off attack changed to fishing blades... After a slow start with just a couple of tailor, I hooked up on a nice trev. A couple of minutes later, a solid 41cm trev was netted. Another victim to the ecogear vx40. I marked the trevs on the sounder and managed to vertically drop straight on their heads and hooked up once again. Slightly smaller this time at 37, but great fun on light gear none the less! I had a live yakka out while drifting around the moorings, hoping for a dory. Unfortunately just swarms of tailor taking the yakkas. While i still had the blade on i peppered a couple of boats and managed a few bream to 34 or so. At this point it had been a fairly slow day until my mate came over in his tinny. He'd managed to score a 70 flattie on a livie while drifting. A couple quick pics and we got her back. A short while later the tailor started busting up and while working a school with a 110mm flickbait, i was hit midwater. I was thinking that I might have myself another dory on plastic like we got recently. Turned out to be a flattie around the 50 mark. Not as lazy as you'd think... This fish hit the plastic at least a couple of meters off the bottom. Soon after i returned to blading, hoping to find some more trevally and flatties. It didn't take long to hook up and much to my surprise it was a squid! First squid i've ever got on a blade. Perfect live bait size so stored it in the livewell for the 5:50 low tide change. The tide change neared, so i rigged up the squid and chucked it out. Around 6pm it got hit hard followed by a brief "zzzzzzzzzzz" before i could reach the rod. Just as i was about to pick it up line went slack. Was fishing fighting drag on a 7/0 single circle. I guess i payed the price for not taking the time to make a two hook rig.... Called it a night soon after...

Disappointing way to finish but there were still a few fish around at least!

Cheers, Tom

post-14949-0-65043100-1375075481_thumb.png post-14949-0-32100300-1375075492.png

post-14949-0-02260600-1375075527.png

post-14949-0-70774800-1375075535_thumb.png

That is a solid effort. Some nice fish in there. I have been surprised a few times by flatties taking lures that weren't meant for them, I have even had them hit poppers on the surface in a few metres of water. I think sometimes they are more active than folk give them credit for.

Good work!

Luc.

Awesome stuff man. I was out this Sunday in and around the harbour. It was barren. I couldn't even get squid! Hoards and hoards of snapper. Burlied pretty hard for trevs and nothing showed up. Caught all up 2 flounder which were good size, pushing nearly 38cm and also a flathead which I kid you not was probably the same size as my zman grub, just an inch or two longer. No salmon about. Our motor decided not to start too which is probably an indication of using the boat much less and fuel sitting far too long. On the way back home near a popular king spot there was an insane amount of fish and birds busting up. By the time lines were ready to be cast they had moved on. Ah well!

Awesome stuff man. Are there any good sized snapper that way up the harbour? The biggest ive pulled there was about 20cm rofl.

Good session! Agree with flatties giving you a surprise. Had a 50cm model smash a flickbait intended for salmon a few weeks back on a quick retrieve high in the water column and it put up a good fight too.

Awesome stuff man. I was out this Sunday in and around the harbour. It was barren. I couldn't even get squid! Hoards and hoards of snapper. Burlied pretty hard for trevs and nothing showed up. Caught all up 2 flounder which were good size, pushing nearly 38cm and also a flathead which I kid you not was probably the same size as my zman grub, just an inch or two longer. No salmon about. Our motor decided not to start too which is probably an indication of using the boat much less and fuel sitting far too long. On the way back home near a popular king spot there was an insane amount of fish and birds busting up. By the time lines were ready to be cast they had moved on. Ah well!

Awesome stuff man. Are there any good sized snapper that way up the harbour? The biggest ive pulled there was about 20cm rofl.

It was a little slow this weekend. The trevs are around in MH but the numbers aren't great. They're a little finicky as well. I've only been able to get them on blades lately. The salmon just aren't around for me yet. Hopefully soon.... Could have been salmon at the king spot you speak of... The kings wouldn't be busting up this time of year I would think. There's some xos tailor around though so never know.

I've only ever got a couple of legal snapper in the harbour. 35 max. Cowan creek on the other hand, some good snapper in there. People get them to 50 odd.

Cheers, Tom

I went out this Saturday morning, we caught 3 Aussie Salmon between 65cm-80cm, we caught 5 winter kingies which were all in the 50cm range and they were released back into the drip. We also caught a good sized 80cm Pike. Very good day we had.

Good stuff tom doing real well time to get the big softies out and get the itch

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Already stocked up hard for the next few months! ;) Need to up the ol' lure PB :1wallbash: