Thumper luderick on lure

nbdshroom

It was a glorious afternoon and I had a spare moment so I popped down to Iron Cove for a quick one before meeting up with Ben (kingfisher84) later on in the day.

Decided to start off in the canal, and as I started walking closer, I noticed a man who was flicking lures and he was also pushing a baby in a pram! Talk about addiction :sun: He recognised me from the week before and it was good to make a new friend. In between walking to a fro between surface bust ups (he thought they were trevs) and him feeding the baby, the bites were slow. Between us, I was only able to land a small tailor before it was time for him to cart the baby back home. I Bid him farewell and then really concentrated for the next bit. The sun was out and the heat was becoming apparent when I got the slightest of touches. I struck hard and came up tight. A little breambo soon surfaced.

post-25384-0-20743400-1376386059_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-87813200-1376386126_thumb.jpg

I moved along the canal to an area where the water was slack. Twitch twitch pause... I didn't see the take so I was a bit unprepared when I suddenly came up hard with what I thought was a solid bream. It was in fact a wildly thumping blackie. It was hooked in the jaw and it didn't want a bar of it. It peeled drag and them some. It was a good 5-10 min of fight. I didn't want to risk losing it by bringing it in prematurely. I was using 6lb leader so I was quite confident of landing it until I started to lift him out of the water. I noticed the leader was stretching even though a bit of the fish was still supported in the water. I had to lay face down along the ground and reach in to grab the jighead and then hoist it up onto dry land. Success!

Got a quick photo courtesy of a passerby and let the luderick swim off back into the canal she came from. She went 43 cm and was taken on a Z'man grubz in motoroil. I was stoked! If I'm not mistaken 43cm, puts her in second place for blackie on lure. That is now my second luderick on lure and yet to get one on weed lol. :soccer_h4h:

post-25384-0-22150200-1376386179_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-47889000-1376386240_thumb.jpg

Cheers Pete

Excellent fish.......I remember catching Luderick on blood worms in the Cooks River around this time of year- Aug/Sept when the Westerlies are blowing and they were full of roe/eggs....Jim

Thanks for the invite!!! Good stuff man, finally you got a tailor haha. Damn if only it had my lure in its mouth. Was that luderick just swimming in open water or was it near some of the structure there. Even if I saw you catch it, I'd still call BS.

Nice work Pete! Hopefully this month you can win cotm! But great effort having something to submit 2 months in a row! It's been a very productive winter for you! Hope the warmer months are as kind to you as well.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Well done Pete =)

Thanks Dave! See you soon.

Nothing like getting results on lures, good work.

Harry

Snickers, really satisfies =)

Good stuff pete that jew will be next

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Ben, about that, gosh I gotta tell you something... *head down, hands in pockets*

Excellent fish.......I remember catching Luderick on blood worms in the Cooks River around this time of year- Aug/Sept when the Westerlies are blowing and they were full of roe/eggs....Jim

Cheers. Nice and fat they must have been. Sounds like they would probably take worm lures too. I guess they thought the grubz was a worm possibly. First blackie I got on a lure was on a prawn imitation.

Wonderful effort Pete!

Looks like a nice sunny winter afternoon and to land a ripping fish like that makes it even sweeter.

Top stuff and keep up the tremendous work.

Ian

Thanks Ian, it was a sweet day and too bad not all days could be like that. Gotta capitalise on them when the come around. :sun:

Thanks for the invite!!! Good stuff man, finally you got a tailor haha. Damn if only it had my lure in its mouth. Was that luderick just swimming in open water or was it near some of the structure there. Even if I saw you catch it, I'd still call BS.

No problem Pierre haha. Nah but next time I go up I'll let you know. Yeah those tailor don't like my offerings :/ It wasn't near any structure. Same story with the first one I caught, it was simply roaming the shallows.

that is a porker of a lud and well done on silly string & lure!

Thanks Jenno64, I did think I had a higher chance of losing it when I starting lifting it. Always good on lure!

Wow ! That is a horse a blackfish mate ! looks prehistoric :)

Cheers T.C. It's got a snapper-esque noggin. Thanks also for your post with the stinger hook. Will have to try that soon.

Nice work Pete! Hopefully this month you can win cotm! But great effort having something to submit 2 months in a row! It's been a very productive winter for you! Hope the warmer months are as kind to you as well.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Jeff 'hairtail king' scratchie! Fingers crossed but achieving personal goals in fishing whether big or small is what it is all about. If you are still putting in the hours, I hope to a get a jew before you though ;)

classic fish not following the rules story!

Haha so true! It is like the time I got a salmon upriver.

Edited by nbdshroom