How to get started?

Melchester

I live near Warriewood Beach. I have just bought an 8 foot rod and reel combo.

Where do I go (literally and figuratively) from here.

I want to catch some fish I can eat.

I know nothing about fishing.

I would be very grateful for any help and advice you can give on ... what tackle to buy, where and when to go, what fish I should expect to pull out of the water, and which ones I should throw back.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have time to throw my way.

Edited by Melchester

Whilst you are at the tackle shop - get a fishing licence and a salt water fishing guide if you have not got them already - plenty of info in there. Select one or two fish you want to target - read up on techniques and locations then get some advice from the tacklo on what sort of tackle you need.

Good Luck

Blood Knot

If fishing at a beach during the day, bring lots of water, protection from the elements and do your best to keep sand from getting into your reel. Make sure your reel never touches the ground when baiting up or dunked in the salt lol

I live near Warriewood Beach. I have just bought an 8 foot rod and reel combo.

Where do I go (literally and figuratively) from here.

I want to catch some fish I can eat.

I know nothing about fishing.

I would be very grateful for any help and advice you can give on ... what tackle to buy, where and when to go, what fish I should expect to pull out of the water, and which ones I should throw back.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have time to throw my way.

As Mr Fish says try Narrabean Lakes. For a beginner, I'd rig a small running sinker rig, with a piece of prawn.

Running sinker rig: From your main line slide on a small sinker, tie on a swivel, tie on clear mono leader or fluro carbon. Your leader should be at least 30cm long. Then tie on a small hook, size 1/0.

Knots: google Uni Knot, very simple and effective.

Bait: buy a few dollars worth of banana prawns from Woolies. Peel them. Using a scissors cut each up into about 4 pieces and use 1 piece for bait and some for burly.

Pick an area with some structure, wharf or bridge and cast near structure, good luck and let us know how you go =)

Spend a day on youtube watching every fishing guide, rig tips, bait tips, knots tips, beach fishing tips, soft plastic tips etc video you can find!

Youtube is a goldmine of information and much quicker than reading a book. You can hone in on exactly what sort of fishing you want to be doing.

The most important thing is not to give up first few times if you dont catch anything. It is winter so the fishing is a little slow and I guarantee there are seasoned pros on here that still have days or nights out without a bite!

I reckon the best place to start is a jetty or pier. Many a young angler has cut their teeth on a jetty.

It got it all - Access to deep water, structure and no sand to wreck you reel.

At these sorts of places you'll run into the usual bread and butter species of bream, trevally, whiting, leatherjackets etc. All are decent eating.

I think there are some jetties up in pitwatter area.

I'd head down early morning or late arvo for the best of it.

that my 2 cents worth.

A great place to start is a book called "Hooked"

You can buy it in most newsagents for around $25.

It will show you many spots to fish and what you catch there. It's my bible!

It also explains techniques, bait needed, rigs etc!

Good luck and tight lines!

Cheers scratchie!!!

If you know anybody who fishes and knows their stuff you should ask kindly ask them to take you out with them and share some of their knowledge with you. You'll save heaps of time learning from someone else. If i had a friend who fished and was as keen as i was who could show me knots, locations, baits, species, times... the lot, probably would have saved me a lot of lonely cold days catching nothing :P All a learning process!

As people have said above, Narrabeen lake is a good starting point. Chockers full of fish and a nice easy place that's safe. Heaps of undersize so you might not catch monsters but it's excellent to learn the basics - knot tying, baiting up, casting, setting the hook etc. before you more up the ranks a little. It's where i learnt to cast as a kid!

Good luck. Members here are more than happy to help