Reds down South

piratin

Fished down south of sydney in this incrediable weather early in week. Change of tide was around 7.00am so an early start ensured we were on the grounds before the change of tide. Our experience has indcated the reds bite on the change and considering it was early we had high expectations.

The last couple of seasons we have been using jigs for catchin reds and have had success. We have found the jigs get and keep us in the strike zone longer ensuring more bites thus fish. These jigs are around the 90 grams and given current and often a breeze we at times employ a sea anchor to slow us down. These jigs of choice at the moment are the jitterbug.

Early in the week the same day as formosan caught that fantastic fish. Conditions were rare indeed. We would of liked a little more current as it was basically non existant however with a berley trail we were able to encourage the reds on the chew for a couple of hours catching a dozen.

The next few weeks should see the reds continue to bite.post-7298-0-99258300-1378452826_thumb.jpgpost-7298-0-79380600-1378452853_thumb.jpg

On the way back up we chased some flathead. The week before south of marley wreck we caught a nice lot all around the 65cm mark. This week the big leather jackets had moved in and the flat head were far more difficult to catch in the same numbers as the week before.

tight lines!!!!

Hi Formosan

yes the slower the better, light tip rod to provide necessary action, fluro carbon leader, attached to twelve pound fins braid.

Only need to raise the lure 15 metres up and drop back down, often they get belted on the way down. This way you spend alot of time in strike zone. Also needs to be vertical not out on an angle if the current is on - hence the use of sea anchors etc.

Piratin

well done mate. I am yet to emulate your results but I am on my way so thanks for all your help over the last 12 months. Did you get em around 35m? or out wider? I cant go south this weekend as I have to be back mid morning, but im going out the front of the hacking early Sunday to see what I can find.

Johno

Hi Formosan

yes the slower the better, light tip rod to provide necessary action, fluro carbon leader, attached to twelve pound fins braid.

Only need to raise the lure 15 metres up and drop back down, often they get belted on the way down. This way you spend alot of time in strike zone. Also needs to be vertical not out on an angle if the current is on - hence the use of sea anchors etc.

Very intrigue with these lures. I am very impressed that you are catching snappers with these. :biggrinthumb:

Which colours and brands are best?

Formosan

mate we use two brands these being the shimano bottom ship and a new one called jitterbug from new zealand. In New Zealand they are having great success on these lures and we have been doing very well at the hump and surrounds as well as places like narooma and port stephens on the reds over the last two years.

Colours do not seem to matter, it seems the action is more important. Slow action and they climb over them in the same fashion they nail a plastic.

Hi Guys,

I used these kind of jigs a lot last year and also found them great for kings on light tackle cranking them over wrecks/reef. They have a great action. We bought our first ones from NZ and the guy in the shop said that they were killer for snapper virtually twitched a quarter of a reel handle turn at a time - seeing your pics I will be having a go.

Dave

Formosan

mate we use two brands these being the shimano bottom ship and a new one called jitterbug from new zealand. In New Zealand they are having great success on these lures and we have been doing very well at the hump and surrounds as well as places like narooma and port stephens on the reds over the last two years.

Colours do not seem to matter, it seems the action is more important. Slow action and they climb over them in the same fashion they nail a plastic.

Thanks for the info Piratin. The Daiwa ones are called Pirates is that what inspired your name?.

One more question, Which tow point works best for snapper and which for Kingies?

Hi Guys

I believe a company will be importing these lures from new zealand in the very near future and we should see them in stores soon.

I can let people know when this happens. These types of lures catch everything. The kings climb all over them as do flat head, trevally, tailor etc

thanks