Rigging a live yakka landbased

Howdoweplaythis

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the scene of live baiting and i've searched the forum but I haven't found any concrete posts about rigging live yellowtail. I've just been fishing them off a wharf, rigging them on a running sinker rig with a heavy ball sinker but haven't caught anything.

Target species is well, anything that will eat a yakka really! What are some of the accepted rigs for a live yakka?

Cheers

Justin

mate...found this vid on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfvDOP_Xj98

Hey mate thanks for the link. That was helpful for how to hook the yakka. I'm looking for a bit of advice on the rig above the bait though.

Don't use a heavy ball sinker, try under a float or unweighted

What rig would you use for a float? And unweighted seems easiest but if others are around the yakka tends to tangle up the lines. Are there any other options beside this?

i find the yakkas survive longer if you pin them just behind the head,

you can tie the above rig with cotton to the balloon, 2x cotton for big yakkas or horse slimies, 3 or 4x for live bonito salmon or similar,

try using a golf ball size float, a good yakka will take it down for 10 minutes and shouldnt snag you, then act as a float when the bait tires a bit.

And unweighted seems easiest but if others are around the yakka tends to tangle up the lines. Are there any other options beside this?

ahh land based livies, what a relaxing way to fish. lol

• 7 years later...
On 9/13/2013 at 10:29 PM, Howdoweplaythis said:

Will I have a better chance of catching fish if the yakkas are suspended from the top of the water column on a float rather than keeping them on the bottom? Also what size hook should I use? I have been using 6/0s

Like some of the others have said itepends what you are catching. I generally go for kingfish and so I use a float. I fish landbased and I use two 3/0 snelled circle hooks.