Bits and pieces on the yak

alluring

So I impulse bought myself a second hand kayak probably around a month or two ago from a dude on gumtree. I was just sitting at work one day browsing boats and saw it up, so when I finished work I went around, and rocked up home that night with a kayak on the back of the ute (rents weren't impressed) :banana:

Not sure what the model or brand it was, but it came with a seat and it has five rod holders. I'm pretty happy with it, first thing I did when I got it was fit it out with a sounder, and keen to begin some mods. I've been super busy with uni of late, so since I got it I've only used it once on a brief trip up the clyde river off nelligen (super windy day, didn't get too far :mad3:). Sounder and everything on it worked great, but I had the battery randomly floating around, so this has led to my first little project.

Today in an hour off between classes I headed down to the workshop and put together a little bracket piece for my battery to sit in! Nothing massive, but it feels good making things from scratch and I mounted it up tonight. It's basically made from 10mm acryllic, sanded and sprayed matt black to match the rest of my setup. It wasn't really needed but I also fixed up some wire underneath it to make a clip to keep the battery in place if I ever go in, but the battery fits it pretty much perfectly.

That done, wondering how everybody else sits their batteries, and what other mods are worth looking into?? I'm keen to sneak out to Eucumbene sometime in the next few weeks and give it my first serious run, so I'll post up a few photos of the actual yak when it's in the water and going, and hopefully if I get onto some fish I'll have some material for a report.

Other than sessions on trout I'm planning to use it up the clyde for EP, flatties, jew, tailor, bream etc, and definitely around bateman's bay or ulladulla harbour hunting for squid. It's not a big yak, and my first so it's definitely not for offshore like some of the crazies do, but I'm super keen to take it around lakes, rivers and estuaries.

If you're still reading.. Here are a few pics of my first project :-)

post-31285-0-34137400-1379507289_thumb.jpgpost-31285-0-86614600-1379507302_thumb.jpgpost-31285-0-54270300-1379507315_thumb.jpgpost-31285-0-03953600-1379507325_thumb.jpgpost-31285-0-14280300-1379507335_thumb.jpgpost-31285-0-36879600-1379507343_thumb.jpg

Good work.

Can you take a pic of the yak in full?

Just curious as it looks like some I have been eyeing on online shop.

Do you mind if I ask what it set you back?

Here's a picture from when I first bought it (pre sounder) paid $400, on impulse. Bloke had wanted $450, but I haggled.. Again, I didn't research, but it seemed like a good buy and I'm happy. It also came with a seat, and the 5th rod holder, not sure of they're post stock, but hey.

I'll post some proper pictures when it's on the water :)

post-31285-0-49315100-1379508524_thumb.jpg

That's different! Don't think I've seen an externally mounted battery in a yak before.. Good to think outside the box or in your case outside the yak lol.. I drilled a hole to run cables inside my yaks and keep the battery in a dry bag and out of the way but if that works then why not!? Nice work.. You'll get addicted to yak fishin like the rest of us! There's some dedicated forums if you haven't already found them.. They might have more advice for further projects...

That's different! Don't think I've seen an externally mounted battery in a yak before.. Good to think outside the box or in your case outside the yak lol.. I drilled a hole to run cables inside my yaks and keep the battery in a dry bag and out of the way but if that works then why not!? Nice work.. You'll get addicted to yak fishin like the rest of us! There's some dedicated forums if you haven't already found them.. They might have more advice for further projects...

Cheers, I've been thinking about what to do with the cables but I think I'll only do it between the transductor (mounted off the back because it was the only place for it) and the screen. I figure my dry bags can hold more important things than a $30 battery, so I'll keep it external, it's near the front so it's out of the way anyway!

Tossing up on rigging some small speakers and a cheap old ipod in somewhere, but I think it'd scare the fish :)

Edited by alluring

Congrats on getting your yak!! You'll have fun pimping it up to your requirements.

Having your battery on the outside - I'd just recommend gluing some velcro on the base of the battery & your bracket, to help 'keep it in place' - or even a strap of some sort to keep it secure?

With your Rod holders - being flush mounted, it is easy for rods to be pulled out when trolling or going under trees & 'lost' ....... so I would recommend putting some 'inserts' in there.

I have just used 2 x secondhand 'boat flush mounted rod inserts' that sit 'proud' in my yak's flush mounted rod holders. I cut a notch out of the front so the reel seat slots down into it so the rod won't spin round when you get a hookup. It also 'sets' the hook for you when trolling! You can just use Downpipe as well - there is one size that fits it pretty snuglyv..... sometimes you can find offcuts at a building site!! Mr Squiddy's yak (down the bottom) here shows the downpipe ones

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=66443

Enjoy your yak!!

Roberta

Don't forget a flag! It is VERY important to be seen on the water!

Love the mods you've done already! I brought the same yak from an online store for $369 brand new.

Have managed to put on an electric motor and had the same problem as you with the battery floating around so that's a great idea. I have a fish finder that I want to install, my question is where did you mount the transducer???

Do you have a photo??

Cheers scratchie!!!

Congrats on getting your yak!! You'll have fun pimping it up to your requirements.

Having your battery on the outside - I'd just recommend gluing some velcro on the base of the battery & your bracket, to help 'keep it in place' - or even a strap of some sort to keep it secure?

With your Rod holders - being flush mounted, it is easy for rods to be pulled out when trolling or going under trees & 'lost' ....... so I would recommend putting some 'inserts' in there.

I have just used 2 x secondhand 'boat flush mounted rod inserts' that sit 'proud' in my yak's flush mounted rod holders. I cut a notch out of the front so the reel seat slots down into it so the rod won't spin round when you get a hookup. It also 'sets' the hook for you when trolling! You can just use Downpipe as well - there is one size that fits it pretty snuglyv..... sometimes you can find offcuts at a building site!! Mr Squiddy's yak (down the bottom) here shows the downpipe ones

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=66443

Enjoy your yak!!

Roberta

Don't forget a flag! It is VERY important to be seen on the water!

Thanks for the the info Roberta!! Alot to think about hahah. At the moment my way of keeping the battery secure is a piece of wire, but Velcro or something similar is a good idea, I'll look into it! Yeah I was definitely thinking about a flag or something as well, safety is a priority of course, so I'll be looking at getting one within my first few trips!

Love the mods you've done already! I brought the same yak from an online store for $369 brand new.

Have managed to put on an electric motor and had the same problem as you with the battery floating around so that's a great idea. I have a fish finder that I want to install, my question is where did you mount the transducer???

Do you have a photo??

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie! I was at my local BCF eying motors yesterday! Seemed like a little overkill, and the dude told me cause they're electric they don't have a long battery life, even if you wack them onto a car battery.. What size do you have?? And how does it go? I don't have any photos on me at the moment, but I mounted the transductor on the very rear or the yak, screwed into that small flat bit. When I'm sitting in it it sits just underwater and reads fine. But that would probably clash with your motor in that spot.. I was having a squizz online and saw that you can buy adjustable arms that you mount and drop down on the side of the yak.. That might be worth looking into?

Edited by alluring

Do you have a photo??

Cheers scratchie!!!

My Garmin Echo 300c came with a special mounting bracket just for attaching it to electric motors so I'd have a look into that if you're stuck for ideas... I have just mounted mine inside the hull though and that works fine..

Alluring, you mentioned spray painting your battery tray. That brings up another question. Are there any particular spray paints one should use to coat acryllic or PVC bits that would be subjected to UV and salt water? Or are the cheapies from hardware stores good enough?

Thanks for the the info Roberta!! Alot to think about hahah. At the moment my way of keeping the battery secure is a piece of wire, but Velcro or something similar is a good idea, I'll look into it! Yeah I was definitely thinking about a flag or something as well, safety is a priority of course, so I'll be looking at getting one within my first few trips!

Thanks Scratchie! I was at my local BCF eying motors yesterday! Seemed like a little overkill, and the dude told me cause they're electric they don't have a long battery life, even if you wack them onto a car battery.. What size do you have?? And how does it go? I don't have any photos on me at the moment, but I mounted the transductor on the very rear or the yak, screwed into that small flat bit. When I'm sitting in it it sits just underwater and reads fine. But that would probably clash with your motor in that spot.. I was having a squizz online and saw that you can buy adjustable arms that you mount and drop down on the side of the yak.. That might be worth looking into?

Not sure the size but it was the $99 on special at bcf. Hooked it to a car battery! It lasted the 4hrs I was out there. Based on my navionics app, my top speed was 8kph. I didn't paddle at all, for the entire time. I know, sorta defeats the purpose but it was just to trial it. I can certainly see the benefits of having it but not on all occasions. Was handy getting back in when the wind kicked up!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Alluring, you mentioned spray painting your battery tray. That brings up another question. Are there any particular spray paints one should use to coat acryllic or PVC bits that would be subjected to UV and salt water? Or are the cheapies from hardware stores good enough?

I used an acryllic based car touch up spray, I always use them over enamels as the dry faster and generally have a better finish. Can pick them up from any store like supercheap.

Not sure the size but it was the $99 on special at bcf. Hooked it to a car battery! It lasted the 4hrs I was out there. Based on my navionics app, my top speed was 8kph. I didn't paddle at all, for the entire time. I know, sorta defeats the purpose but it was just to trial it. I can certainly see the benefits of having it but not on all occasions. Was handy getting back in when the wind kicked up!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Looks like you have a killer setup there. I mounted my transductor on that little square patch you can see at the end of the yak, looks like you've got room for one as well if your motor's on the side.