First Yak session ever - some solid Lizards

brendong

So we went down to Lake Conjola last weekend with the kids etc. most of the time I was on the end of a paint brush but still nice to get away from Sydney. Didn't take the boat but chucked in one outfit with a few placcy's and hard bods on the off chance I might have been able to sneak out.

Work done on Saturday so decided to head out on the cheap and nasty yak that we have down there. It's Just a mega outdoor store bought one certainly not a bling'd up Hobbie with mirage drive (although now I see what all the fuss us about).

Any how launched and headed out into the lake on Sunday morning, figured I best leave the phone at home given first expedition so sorry no pics this time. Trolled an SX40 out to my spot of choice no touches....started chucking placcy's and on the 3rd cast came up tight on a just legal lizard. Was thinking gee didn't take long to break the yak duck.

A few casts later and and I had a 50 cm lizard along side the yak. At that point I realised that bringing no lip grippers or net was rookie mistake. Managed to avoid getting my hand shredded and released it to fight again. Keep net might also be useful should I want to take a fish home too.

Moved a fair way after noticing some surface action. Nothing on surface to be found when I arrived but 2nd cast and hooked up. This was a much more serious fish. First thing I noticed when hooked up to something serious was that you have no control of your yak and when it wants to run just let it run. Also backed the drag off a lot more than I normally would on a boat.

Anyway played it for five minutes or so before getting a glimpse of a solid lizard. It then struck me that with no net or lip grippers I was in trouble if I wanted to land and measure this fish. The fish turn and headed toward the shallows so I was able to get a few strokes of the paddle away and made it to the shallows. Jumped off the yak and was able get the fish yak side and measured it on the paddle. Gave it a good swim and watched her swim away. Later on I measured the paddle and it went 68cm. So I guess that's my pb lizard from a yak.

Paddled out again and first cast I hooked another that went 50cm. By this time it was 8am so I called it a day.

Things I observed....my arms were aching after paddling in no wind and only a little current. I can imagine your fitness levels would improve if you fished from a yak all the time....casting and retrieving is a little different given you are so low to the water and watching you lure hit the sand took a bit to get used too....must remember to move slowly when reaching around to my backpack, nearly fell in the drink when changing lures the first time.

So that was my first crack at yak fishing and I reckon I might do it again at some stage - got to love the stealth factor too.

Btw the lake is still open and looking pretty good....

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Well done on your first session! I'm too, a rookie yak fisho and would agree the first outing is not a time you would take your phone! Lol.

But I couldn't agree more with the things you noticed like, when casting, stealth, landing a fish. It does take time to get used too but just adds another method to get out on the water and fish!

Great work! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Great report, there are very few things as tranquil as getting out on the water in a yak and catching a few nice fish.

Grab yourself a waterproof phone case, remember you're quite vulnerable in the yak and it's always a good idea to have a way to contact help should you need it, although your lake doesn't look like you'd be too far from land in any direction according to google maps.

Woohoo!! Well done, Brendon!! Great results in blooding your yak - good sized flatties!! Yep, nets AND lip grippers are a must - also a keeper net.

....you have no control of your yak and when it wants to run just let it run..... Yep - that is where the Hobies come into their own! :D You were lucky you were out in the open - a totally different story when you are in leases or tight structure & you are getting towed back in to it by the fish! :huh:

...Things I observed....my arms were aching after paddling in no wind and only a little current. I can imagine your fitness levels would improve if you fished from a yak all the time....casting and retrieving is a little different given you are so low to the water and watching you lure hit the sand took a bit to get used too....must remember to move slowly when reaching around to my backpack, nearly fell in the drink when changing lures the first time......

Well said - all these observations are very accurate - and definitely need to be taken into account when a new paddler! Next time you are in your yak, stay in the shallows & 'test' it's limits for 'leaning left & right' and (as you observed) turning around to retrieve stuff from the rear. Just practise some of the manoevers & see what the 'comfort zone' is ..... having a stakeout pole in the shallows to keep you in one spot (and keep you more stable) is a good idea too.

How you actually play a fish is totally different too - you have much more 'pulling power' when standing up, than sitting down, so it takes a bit of getting used to!!

cheers

Roberta

Looking forward to your next report!

Thanks all for the kind comments....will be giving it a bit more of a work out soon I hope.

But I couldn't agree more with the things you noticed like, when casting, stealth, landing a fish. It does take time to get used too but just adds another method to get out on the water and fish!

I was very surprised how different it was to fishing from a boat. But great to multi skill like you said.

Great Report!

A top area to spend some time, the Lake has everything you could ever want to enjoy a break.

Paikea

We love it down. Very, very fortunate to have inIaws with a house down there.

Grab yourself a waterproof phone case, remember you're quite vulnerable in the yak and it's always a good idea to have a way to contact help should you need it, although your lake doesn't look like you'd be too far from land in any direction according to google maps.

Waterproof phone case is a great idea...maybe Santa can bring that. It's a good lake but opens and closes fairly frequently. Fishing has been tough for the past couple of years...I was surprised to do so well actually. Probably a good lake to learn your yaking craft like you said.

Yep - that is where the Hobies come into their own! :D You were lucky you were out in the open - a totally different story when you are in leases or tight structure & you are getting towed back in to it by the fish! :huh:

...Next time you are in your yak, stay in the shallows & 'test' it's limits for 'leaning left & right' and (as you observed) turning around to retrieve stuff from the rear. Just practise some of the manoevers & see what the 'comfort zone' is ..... having a stakeout pole in the shallows to keep you in one spot (and keep you more stable) is a good idea too.

How you actually play a fish is totally different too - you have much more 'pulling power' when standing up, than sitting down, so it takes a bit of getting used to!!

cheers

Roberta

Thanks for all your tips very helpful, I like the idea of testing your limits in the shallows. I can only imagine being strapped to a blue nose in the racks with a current and the wind blowing would not be easy....I found my big lizard really slugged it out down deep rather than running which is really different as they will often be try and try wide. Haven't fished up and down since I used to bait fish so a very strange fight....was great to see her run and hear my really scream though....

Tight lines

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Great report as always mate. I reckon you'd catch fish out of a seaworthy bath if you could lay your hands on one! :lol:

With the weather starting to improve now along with the water temp I assume you, Josh and the boys will be out chasing the bass soon. I look forward to reading more reports about the boys' success!

Cheers

Ian

Thanks guys.....I reckon Hodgey's seaworthy bath sounds like a good back up plan if the boat was out of action or yak was out of reach....I checked out a bass location the other day, may have to give em a nudge soon...

Edited by Poddy Trapper