Finland sportfishing ......Janifin and swordie

It was with so much anticipation and exhilaration (I was pumped) that we went to the fishing tackle shop in Joensuu.

We scored some great looking lures and a new rod and reel and could not wait to get them wet. Thursday morning dawned overcast and cool. We drove about 5 mins to the local marina to Janifin's boat. It looked a little unstable but once aboard it was quite good. The small 15hp motor pushed us along nicely at about 10knots and without a ripple on the surface it was a smooth ride.

We pulled up at one of Jani's secret spots next to a large saw mill on a large weedbed. Jani instructed me how to jig the soft plastics through the weed lanes to entice our quarry and it did not take long, exactly 4 casts and I was on woohoooo. Jani thought I was bullshitting and I scored my first ever Finnish Pike. What a magnificent creature it was with its brown and gold spots and huge array of teeth but a pike is a pike and they all stink!!!

Jani and I had a quick "man hug" the pressure was off both of us! Ah the sweet sigh of relief. After a few minutes Jani showed his fishing prowess by hooking a larger pike which made mine look like a tiddler and I was jealous and envious (spewing I did not catch it). We fished for a little while longer and I suddenly felt a different bite but as the fish glided into view Jani's eyes almost popped out. It was a good size redfin and a PB for me, now Jani was spewing as he had never caught one that big in 5 years. I was ecstatic at catching my first ever pike and a PB redfin within one hour of fishing!! Surely They are ON!!!!!!

We moved spots and within a few mins I upgraded my pike PB and it continued until I upgraded 3 times. I got another nice sized perch and we decided to try for Zanders but alas no luck. Jani had a few enquiries but failed to hook up and my Zander duck still continues for now.

It was a fantastic experience fishing with Jani on his waterway and a better host I could not have asked for. His local knowledge and expertise allowed me to realise a dream I have had for sometime. I am now the Pike Master.

Jani has shown me many things that far exceeded my expectations. One afternoon he and a couple of mates took me to the local firing range where I got to fire about 20 different guns and rifles including semi-automatic weapons and a 44 magnum handgun and a 10 gauge magnum shotgun. The recoil was unbelieveable and I sported some nice bruises for a day or so on my shoulder. These men were very professional and safety conscious. I had tuition before I was even able to touch a gun.

Another day Jani and his wife Saija and their 2 yr old Vili took Donna and I to their cabin/holiday house. It was in the forest by a lake and it was pristine. Whilst there we did some duck hunting. We are used to having saunas now and the test here was to have a sauna and then jump into the 8 degree water. I decided to take the test and omg I will never forget the experience. I could not feel my feet or legs.

In Paris last week Donna and I were walking along the Seine and came to Pont Neuf. We spied some guys with fishing rods. After a quick chat it turned out they were testing tackle and were distributors through Europe. Eventually they took me downstairs to River Seine and they gave me their rods to use. What an experience!! I did not catch anything but still tops.

Big thanks to Jani and Saija for being the BEST hosts. We will be sad to leave Finland. On to Budapest tomorrow.

post-256-0-88654200-1380971129_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-00425600-1380971187_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-54501600-1380971260_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-09917000-1380971306_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-35804700-1380971376_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-60722400-1380971487_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-53908800-1380971534_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-23767600-1380971615_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-18117800-1380971663_thumb.jpgpost-256-0-90674200-1380971802_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-63801100-1380971989_thumb.jpgpost-869-0-07743600-1380972167_thumb.jpgpost-869-0-69660200-1380972182_thumb.jpg

and in Paris

post-869-0-26967100-1380972258_thumb.jpgpost-869-0-79027900-1380972278_thumb.jpgpost-869-0-66718700-1380972292_thumb.jpg

post-869-0-15433300-1380972317_thumb.jpg

Will attach pics soon

post-256-0-26452600-1380971850_thumb.jpg

Great Report, Stewie - Congrats on your new PBs - how good was that - Jani putting you both on to good fish!! Awesome!! He will miss you when you go.

Can't wait for the pics

cheerio

Roberta

Guest no one

A couple of nice jacks there! You should try fly fishing for them, its like casting a bin bag with the weight of the lure but on a weight 8 fly rod, pike are the rock and roll of fly fishing!

Some good size perch there too (i know you guys call them redfin but they'll always be perch to us europeans).

Good to see people enjoying the european fishing.

Zander are rare!!! Good luck in catching one in the future, i think its the only native species to the UK i have yet to even see let alone catch!

I take it they were all released? Pike taste like grity mud unfortunately.

CHUNKY redfin there, Stewy! Do you get extra points for spotted pike? :D Plenty stinky pike here, unfortunately! No spotted ones tho!

It looks a bit chilly there!!?? Happy travelling

Roberta

Zander are rare!!! Good luck in catching one in the future, i think its the only native species to the UK i have yet to even see let alone catch!

Zander is not so rare here i get many last summer http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=69063&hl=zander , but they going deepper before winer, we did not find any, shame. Had so less time and lat to do. Stu and Donna leave today, after 45 min

Edited by JaniFIN

OK, they did leave this morning, i was like a :1crybaby: and teasing my eyes on fishraider beanie on airport.

Was reeally nice, and we are so happy that you visit here. So happy, what is possible to finnish peoples and our happy faces :huh: (explain members, they keep me freek after this emoticons) .

We had too less time, and so much to do. But remember, i start save now, for: Botany bay, ice cream, Jack daniels cola, fishing, scallops or some other snacks and barbicue, sunshine...all day in one day...mmmmm yammy, i have open new topic for that thing :sun:

Jani

Stewie,

Have been looking forward to this report for a while. PB pikes and redfin on your first session and tackle testing on the Seine - awesome!

I've just returned from Malaysia and Singapore (no fishing done) and tagged along with my brother to his local shooting range for a bit of shooting too. A different and quite enjoyable activity but I think I'll stick to fishing as my pastime - I prefer the finesse experience of using light lines and thin rods in fishing rather than the brute force of an exploding shell from a gun!

Excellent report Stewy. You got to enjoy both my favorite past times and it sounds like you had a ball! Well done to Jani for putting you onto some fish. That reddie was a gem! Terrific photos too mate. Catch up with you when you get back.

Cheers

Skip

• 3 weeks later...

Well done on adding a new species to the list... Too funny travelling all the way to Europe and finding Redfin. Are they a highly sought after target over there?

Cheers, T

Yes Tony compared with a pike they are fantastic and if done straight away taste really nice

I almost forgot to show Jani's pike which was a better specimen

post-256-0-51403300-1383024057_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-48122800-1383024072_thumb.jpg

These two beauties were caught by Jan and his mate in Amsterdam on finesse gear ,one with a drop shot and the other with a lightly weighted plastic and apparently there are heaps of Zanders in Amsterdam.

post-256-0-72256300-1383024932_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-83293700-1383024943_thumb.jpg

Nice to meet you two guys and its a shame we didn't get to have a fish together.

Regards Stewy

Getting these largish zander from the bank, at night and in the middle of Amsterdam was a new experience for me too. It turns out that the zander move into the shallows at night and then they you are able to get them on small soft plastics. The first fish took the lure just 2 meters from the bank... Great fun on light tackle! Fishing in the middle of a city center has become very popular here and I think it has great possibilities. It was a pleasure meeting you!