Forster/Tuncurry

pbk1776

Hi Raiders

hope everyone is well

We are going up to Forster/Tuncurry - any good spot to fish?

will be doing fishing on the shore and if lucky to hire a boat

then we are going more in waters.

all comments will be much appreciated - thanks raiders

PBK1776

Hi Jani,

Sadly those piers/jetties are currently unusable as they have been dismantled & are in the process of being upgraded, along with the previously 'concrete slab walls' being replaced by big Stone 'breakwall' style walls! :( So it may be a few more weeks before the area is 'fishable' again - and then we have to wait for the fish to reappear, as their habitat will have been severely changed!

Either Forster or over at the Keys would be the way to go unless wanting to do some beach fishing.

cheers

Roberta

Hi Jani,

Sadly those piers/jetties are currently unusable as they have been dismantled & are in the process of being upgraded, along with the previously 'concrete slab walls' being replaced by big Stone 'breakwall' style walls! :( So it may be a few more weeks before the area is 'fishable' again - and then we have to wait for the fish to reappear, as their habitat will have been severely changed!

Either Forster or over at the Keys would be the way to go unless wanting to do some beach fishing.

cheers

Roberta

This is the pier right next to the rides and park, right? it will open up more space for fishing then eh?

Tuncurry side, near bridge is couple of piers, there i have seen hooked nice size flatties. I get nice bite allso, bot not hooked. Like Roberta sayd, you need long net there too, piers is quite highs.

Yeah been there - in the last couple of trips up to the area - didn't catch any fish :-( I might been doing something wrong

I put some information here about a week ago:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=70115&hl=

Roberta

Hi Roberta

Thanks for the info - been around the area couple of times but not expert and do not have the great local knowledge

My wife's family live in the area (tuncurry south street and another house in blackhead) however the reason i am asking

the raiders as this time when we go up in the fortnight we have friends coming. We will be camping and 4wding - so any

advise about beach and onshore fishing will be good.

As for my own experience - I only fish on the break wall (along rockpool), under the bridge and in the lake on a boat. So

not really an extensive experience there.

This is the pier right next to the rides and park, right? it will open up more space for fishing then eh?

Yeah been there - in the last couple of trips up to the area - didn't catch any fish :-( I might been doing something wrong

Hi Roberta

Thanks for the info - been around the area couple of times but not expert and do not have the great local knowledge

My wife's family live in the area (tuncurry south street and another house in blackhead) however the reason i am asking

the raiders as this time when we go up in the fortnight we have friends coming. We will be camping and 4wding - so any

advise about beach and onshore fishing will be good.

As for my own experience - I only fish on the break wall (along rockpool), under the bridge and in the lake on a boat. So

not really an extensive experience there.

Hey mate,

I'm at black head ATM for the next 3 days. I'll be trying the beaches around here, so will let you know of anything I catch. Never been here before so I'm fishing blind. See what happens!

Cheers scratchie!!!

.....This is the pier right next to the rides and park, right? ......

Yes, those are the jetties - all being worked on & replaced. Under the bridge has been worked on as well as the whole jetty foreshore of Tuncurry, sea side of the bridge.

...... it will open up more space for fishing then eh?....

Not sure about that ...... it will just make it more difficult for older people to fish from shore, as the 'rock wall' won't be as easy to fish as the old concrete slab ones!

The beaches should be fine! Beach worms, mullet or pilchards should reward you with whiting, bream & flatties, even Jew!! Good luck!!

4wd ..... I believe that you can drive onto 7 Mile Beach (as it is National Park, not council ...... but don't take that as gospel - check with authorities first!) whereas you DO need a Beach Permit for 9 Mile Beach and any of the northern beaches

IF you go onto 7 Mile Beach - it has MUCH finer sand than the Sydney Beaches & lots of people get bogged as it is so different from what they are used to. NRMA WILL NOT COME TO GET YOU OFF! Sydney has coarse sand stone sand, whereas ours is very fine & 'slippery'! Take a 12v tyre inflater with you and be careful where you drive! There used to be a track up BEHIND the beach, rather than going on the actual beach, that was on more stable ground.

Have fun, hope you catch heaps!

Roberta

.....This is the pier right next to the rides and park, right? ......

Yes, those are the jetties - all being worked on & replaced. Under the bridge has been worked on as well as the whole jetty foreshore of Tuncurry, sea side of the bridge.

...... it will open up more space for fishing then eh?....

Not sure about that ...... it will just make it more difficult for older people to fish from shore, as the 'rock wall' won't be as easy to fish as the old concrete slab ones!

The beaches should be fine! Beach worms, mullet or pilchards should reward you with whiting, bream & flatties, even Jew!! Good luck!!

4wd ..... I believe that you can drive onto 7 Mile Beach (as it is National Park, not council ...... but don't take that as gospel - check with authorities first!) whereas you DO need a Beach Permit for 9 Mile Beach and any of the northern beaches

IF you go onto 7 Mile Beach - it has MUCH finer sand than the Sydney Beaches & lots of people get bogged as it is so different from what they are used to. NRMA WILL NOT COME TO GET YOU OFF! Sydney has coarse sand stone sand, whereas ours is very fine & 'slippery'! Take a 12v tyre inflater with you and be careful where you drive! There used to be a track up BEHIND the beach, rather than going on the actual beach, that was on more stable ground.

Have fun, hope you catch heaps!

Roberta

I see what you mean in there with the oldies fishing on the jetty - in memory it is a a fair drop before the water - hopefully it will not affect that much.

Yes we applied for permits already with the great lakes council - we are coming up in the fortnight

Hey mate,

I'm at black head ATM for the next 3 days. I'll be trying the beaches around here, so will let you know of anything I catch. Never been here before so I'm fishing blind. See what happens!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi Scratchie

thanks matev - yes let us know how you go with the fishing around the area - I was thinking of Back beach as well when we get there in the fortnight

Fished the spot Roberta said in taree st today with the family but no fish. Looks like a great spot, but was there at wrong tide and wind was blowing its A off! My boys went spearing at black head beach this morning but no fish either! Hmmmm.

Will try yak out tomorrow as long as the wind is down!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Shame you didn't get any fish there, Scratchie - were you fishing from shore? Try on the corner of Ohmas Bay on in or out tide for flatties and/or blackies. I tend to fish the leases there at the top of the tide when it isn't flowing really fast ..... some good topwater action in the shallows & also lots of blackies!

Just watch it if you get out in the yak tomorrow, Scratchie - I was blown off the water 10 days ago in very scary circumstances - and tomorrow could be worse than then!! Definitely, a lot hotter - up to 37+ & if the weather map on the news was right .... It should be big westerlies and that means the main lake & Breck Channel may be pretty well unfishable. Check out The Keys - there are some sheltered spots you can yak fish and shore fish there, depending on the wind. HUGE white caps offshore today!

Take care out there - if in doubt, don't go out!

cheers

Roberta

Shame you didn't get any fish there, Scratchie - were you fishing from shore? Try on the corner of Ohmas Bay on in or out tide for flatties and/or blackies. I tend to fish the leases there at the top of the tide when it isn't flowing really fast ..... some good topwater action in the shallows & also lots of blackies!

Just watch it if you get out in the yak tomorrow, Scratchie - I was blown off the water 10 days ago in very scary circumstances - and tomorrow could be worse than then!! Definitely, a lot hotter - up to 37+ & if the weather map on the news was right .... It should be big westerlies and that means the main lake & Breck Channel may be pretty well unfishable. Check out The Keys - there are some sheltered spots you can yak fish and shore fish there, depending on the wind. HUGE white caps offshore today!

Take care out there - if in doubt, don't go out!

cheers

Roberta

Thanks Roberta!

Don't worry, I'm all about safety! Today was blowing too hard for me to launch the yak and I just checked the weather, so it may just have to stay on top of the car.

It's cool, there's plenty if spots to fish up here so I'll find something! If the weathers really really bad, I'll just have to have a few ales next to the indoor pool. :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi all,

Found a few little fish today with the family. Was a really great day. We went back to taree st with a few prawns and watermelon on a hot day! My daughter caught the first fish a small tarwine but it really put it up the three boys! I was on next with a decent size bream and then the others followed suit. All team scratchie got something and all released. It was so hot and windy we all needed a dip so we winded the rods in and all had a quick swim! Great spot for the family and great day had by all.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi Jani,

Sadly those piers/jetties are currently unusable as they have been dismantled & are in the process of being upgraded, along with the previously 'concrete slab walls' being replaced by big Stone 'breakwall' style walls! :( ....

cheers

Roberta

Damit, i did try been smart ass and give some tips from here. :secret::sun:

...Found a few little fish today with the family....

Glad you got into some fish there, Scratchie - it is a great little spot, even tho it does run a little 'fast' sometimes!!

...Damit, i did try been smart ass and give some tips from here.....

he, he, nothing wrong with your memory, Jani!! :D Just a change in conditions - it will come back as a good spot, pretty soon!! :sun:

he, he, nothing wrong with your memory, Jani!! :D Just a change in conditions - it will come back as a good spot, pretty soon!! :sun:

Maby year 2015 they (flatties) be back? Next time i bring my own waterproof jacket and pens. Not have been too bad weather for fishing, have been only wrong type clothes :fishing1: .

But btw. What fishes have chance catch, if go more inland, like on Wallamba river?

Edited by JaniFIN

.....Next time i bring my own waterproof jacket and pens. Not have been too bad weather for fishing, have been only wrong type clothes.....

Having the right clothes makes a HUGE difference! Just light waterproof gear (goretex is terrific if you can afford it) will see you right & not take up too much room in your bag!

....But btw. What fishes have chance catch, if go more inland, like on Wallamba river?.....

GOOD flatties and bream in the Wallamba - even the possibility of Estuary Perch in some spots? I'll take you there when you come up Jami!

...We will be staying at WAllamba River Holiday Park...

Great spot, but watch out for the Water Skiiers ........ they can be a pain!! I got swamped in my yak once as I was about to get out of it when they did a doughnut right next to me - totally illegal to be that close to me in the first place & just straight IDIOTS to do that to someone in the shallows!

You can get some terrific flatties along the edges there ....... even better if you can get out in a boat/yak & pepper the edges from the river. Both sides of the river! :D

Hope you get some goodies - watch out for our big winds tho - they have been relentless in the last 6 weeks & still blowing as I type!

Roberta

.....Next time i bring my own waterproof jacket and pens. Not have been too bad weather for fishing, have been only wrong type clothes.....

Having the right clothes makes a HUGE difference! Just light waterproof gear (goretex is terrific if you can afford it) will see you right & not take up too much room in your bag!

....But btw. What fishes have chance catch, if go more inland, like on Wallamba river?.....

GOOD flatties and bream in the Wallamba - even the possibility of Estuary Perch in some spots? I'll take you there when you come up Jami!

...We will be staying at WAllamba River Holiday Park...

Great spot, but watch out for the Water Skiiers ........ they can be a pain!! I got swamped in my yak once as I was about to get out of it when they did a doughnut right next to me - totally illegal to be that close to me in the first place & just straight IDIOTS to do that to someone in the shallows!

You can get some terrific flatties along the edges there ....... even better if you can get out in a boat/yak & pepper the edges from the river. Both sides of the river! :D

Hope you get some goodies - watch out for our big winds tho - they have been relentless in the last 6 weeks & still blowing as I type!

Roberta

Thanks for the report - it will be interesting 4wd for us then and fishing at night.........

will post more when we get there this Friday

Thanks for the report - it will be interesting 4wd for us then and fishing at night.........

will post more when we get there this Friday

Hey mate,

I was speaking to a local whilst staying at blackhead and he tells me the beach fishing has been really off for the past couple of months. The only place people have been landing them is at diamond beach. I ran into some South Africans while fishing. They had been there for 4 days fishing and landed tailor, bream and a Jew at night. They were using fresh beach worms. I could see some real nice gutters along there too!

Hope that helps!

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Im not doing a fishing report as we didn't catch any :-( we tried the break wall but water is too rough and the jetties are gone

we tried wallamba river stayed there for 2 nights nothing as well. then last resort is beach fishing, again no luck as it is very

rough.

next time were up ill try to visit Taree and see if there are any good up there

we probably doing something wrong - we used Pilchard/Prawns/Squid and some lures no luck

Hi all

Im not doing a fishing report as we didn't catch any :-( we tried the break wall but water is too rough and the jetties are gone

we tried wallamba river stayed there for 2 nights nothing as well. then last resort is beach fishing, again no luck as it is very

rough.

next time were up ill try to visit Taree and see if there are any good up there

we probably doing something wrong - we used Pilchard/Prawns/Squid and some lures no luck

Did you catch anything at all?? I was struggling up there too, which is not the norm for me in Forster. I always grab a bag of flatty or whiting, but the wind was blowing hard at times while I was there. I didn't even manage to get my yak in the water! :(

Cheers scratchie!!!

Did you catch anything at all?? I was struggling up there too, which is not the norm for me in Forster. I always grab a bag of flatty or whiting, but the wind was blowing hard at times while I was there. I didn't even manage to get my yak in the water! :(

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi Scratchie

yes very windy! I stayed up for extra 2 days when the boys left to head back home sunday -

didn't even had the chance to take the dingy out.

there are mullets in the river - nonetheless no luck for that 5 days weekend - very unusual for me

too. everytime we go up and stay with the family - we've been catching flatties even just under the

bridge

BR

PBK

Damn! Shame you didn't get into any fish .... but sadly, that's 'fishing'!! :( Don't give up on us tho - there are some good fishing spots up here & just now the bloody wind is playing havoc with all species ....... it WILL get better!!

Good luck

Roberta