First SP catch and a species PB! Thanks Fishraider!

Witha

First of all thanks to everyone in this community for giving me the SP bug and for all the "Just keep at it" encouragement!

About a week ago I had the afternoon off so headed down to my local under the bridge on the Cooks river as it comes into the bay for another session practising my SP techniques / playing with lure model and size choices, my last report was of the same place where i landed a nice bream there hedging my bets with a bait rod as well, with the SP's just as an afterthought, however this trip I went out solely with SP's, keen to concentrate on improving even if it meant a doughnut.

Got to the river at about 5:30pm, aiming to fish the run-in till high at about 8, I prefer the channel under the bridge to the open stretch heading up or down but when I arrived there were quite a few territorial types fishing the pylons so I started flicking up and down the stretch for no interest on a few different models (nuclear chicken shad, green wrigglers, big green prawn imitations that look like half a car tyre and are about as agile) and eventually the bridge freed up.

The first pylon has a nice channel running through it, so gingerly inching through the oysters and cliff-hanger style edging along the ledge to get to the prize spot i set up for a flick hopping my SP with the current and letting it flow out from the bridge. After so many changes of jig head, model and position it was quite disheartening but (thanks to Kingfisher 84 and Chelum on my last report) i was confident my retrieve was right so kept at it until dark. My SP setup is Shimano Starlo 1-3 graphite (great little rod IMO) Sienna 1000 6lb braid and 6lb fluro leader with a 1/8 head due to the current being quite brisk. Put on a trimmed 5inch powerbait shad type in smelt scales and a bit of the old Sfactor and hopped it gently around, then quite to my almost-heart-stopping surprise nearly had the rod ripped from my hands by something that pulled like a horse on the light gear. Drag was singing and it put on a lot more shakes than a bream although with similar characteristics, managed to calm myself and not try and wrench the thing to me whilst moving it away from the nasty bust-off-central concrete and oyster pylons to come up with a beautiful 37cm Trevally!!! Had left the phone in the car stupidly so no pic but still grinning from it, first of the species and first on SP for me! Released it gently and had a few more casts for no interest.

Hadn't realised the tide had come up so much so got quite wet wading back from the first pylon but you can imagine didn't particularly care with a success under my belt.

Thanks to all the raiders for offering info and advice on everything from tides and times to tackle and techniques, you're a wealth of knowledge!

Cheers

Witha

That's a great read mate! Congrats on your PB and persevering with SP's. Your right, it's very addictive and now forms a big part of my tackle box! Well done. :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s nice rod choice. Bought one on the weekend and my son slammed it in the car door without even a cast to its name!

Edited by Scratchie

Great report and a great catch on the light gear. There's definitely a fair few trevs about that size getting around the bay at the moment so no surprise to find them up the river a bit.

Isn't it great to know you are doing something right with plastics, I'm still getting the hang of them and usually find myself falling back onto the bait rod but you did the right thing by sticking solely to plastics!

Cheers guys! Definitely brewing a few more sessions asap! Baha damn Scratchie thats brutal!

Yup definitely pays to leave the bait at home if you've got the opportunity to just have a flick!

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Excellent stuff Witha and top write up :thumbup::thumbup:

Congratulations on your first on SP and may it be the first of many more to come for you.

That's an awsome trevally allright. I got one the exact size as yours recently and it gave me a good workout. They are brutal fighters for their size and will try to bust you off on anything. You did really well landing it around all the nasties.

Keep up the good work and your SP collection will grow exponentially from here on.

Ian