Oil Injection

robthefisherman

Guest Mike.L

I had a water pump fail on me maybe i should disconnect that too!

My boats had three johnno's on it over the years the last two being oil injected and they havnt missed a beat.

If i listened to the noisy minority (always the case) and their bleating i wouldnt buy an outboard i would just get myself some oars and row.

Everything I have said is anecdotal as none of us have statistics on the relaibility (or otherwise) of these systems. I'm sure the vast majority oil injection systems perform flawlessly for the life of the engine but the issue is that some DO fail and failure is catestophic.

The issue is the risk versus the cost versus the preventative measure. The risk we simply don't know in the absence of statistics. The cost we do know and that's a full powerhead rebuild. The preventative measure is the minor inconvenience of mixing your own oil.

I (to my knowledge anyway) don't have skin cancer but I wouldn't tell people not to wear sunscreen based on that. I also stated to do your own research which I assure you will be far more compelling than anything I say. In fact I challenge you to pick up the phone and call a mechanic, someone who deals daily with this issue, and ask them.

To Aero's point, my comments specifically refer to Johnson/Evinrude and the vast majority of the reading I've done on this matter is specific to VRO / OMS systems. I hear that other manufacturers adopted alternative systems early on due to the unreliability issues of VRO or similar technology and these are far more reliable. OMC, for reasons probably only known to them, didn't.

Mike, a waterpump is an essential part of the motor. Oil injection (in the class of outboards we're talking about here) I liken to power windows on a car i.e. a 'nice to have'. The reliability of outboards overall is not being questioned. The relaibility of one component and in particularly one manufacturer I openly question.

Guest Mike.L
Mike, a waterpump is an essential part of the motor. Oil injection (in the class of outboards we're talking about here) I liken to power windows on a car i.e. a 'nice to have'. The reliability of outboards overall is not being questioned. The relaibility of one component and in particularly one manufacturer I openly question.

62884[/snapback]

Not required, im going to connect my bilge pump to the flush point and sweet ive got an alternative water source :1naughty:

Question away but the vast majority who have owned the motors for any length of time and from new on this forum it seems have not had an issue!