Drifting

jawno

Been on my yak a few times and having trouble with the wind drifting me. I have a 2.9m yak.

I just bought an anchor to help with the drifing, but can anyone give me some tips as to the best way to SP fish while drifitng? I cast and always seem to be winding in the slack becuase im drifting around. by the time im ready to present the lure again its time to reel in the placcy and flick again if you know what i mean.

Tips would be great!

Also, got my first sea critter on the yak. Nailed a beautiful southern calimari behind palmy! Good times

Thanks,

G'day

Have you thought of trying a sea anchor. Obviously they aren't much good in shallower water.

In regards to sp fishing. I've found you just have to speed up your retrieve. I've always had more luck casting up current with blades and plastics.

Cheers Leo

Yeah, if you cast in the direction you are drifting you will have a longer time to jig/work your lure before you start towing it, which usually pulls the lure up in the water column, especially with lighter lures.

But then there's nothing to say you can't catch fish pulling the lure behind you, just use a heavier jig head, especially for flatties!

Hope this helps.

Cheers Leo

If you are in shallow water, get a long stake out pole and anchor trolley. Stab the stake out pole into the ground and attach it to your anchor trolley. Otherwise get a drift chute or anchor. You will need an anchor trolley for all of these methods though because it is not safe to anchor on the side, only at either end of the kayak. Another more expensive method is to get a GPS watersnake type motor, that's what some pros use for comps.

Hi Jawno

NEVER us a 'fair dinkum' anchor when yakking in current or depth! If used incorrectly, you can get dragged under, either by boat wash or big current! NEVER anchor from the rear of the yak - you just can't see the conditions change & may get swamped for reasons mentioned in line 1!!

Just make sure you test your 'sea anchor/drogue' out in 'quieter' water before you try it in full on BIG water ..... cos it DOES act a bit like an anchor ....... and you can still be 'caught out' .......

Have a bit of 'pool noodle' attached to the narrow end of the sea anchor/drogue, so that it prevents it from sinking ..... if you need to bring it in quickly for safety - having the bit or pool noodle allows you to 'grab on to' & will make it easier to retrieve it quickly! Just Grab the bit of pool noodle & bring the 'sea anchor/drogue' in from the 'rear'rear - if you grab the front of it, it can cause a yak to capsize - a bit similar to using a bucket as a drogue ...... dangerous!

Yep - just cast ahead of your drift - this way you are not casting over 'spooked' waters by your yak/shadow

Be prepared to cut OFF your drift shute if you need to in a 'safety sitruation' - with the pool noodle attached, you can then just chuck a 'Uie' and pick it up again .......

THIS is a drift chute used on fishing yaks in NZ ....... it will almost stop you in your tracks!! It is about 1m across the front!

post-2231-0-88573400-1383904140_thumb.jpg

cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

I can imagine what you are saying Roberta and I doesnt soubd nice. Thanks for sharing those safety concerns. That chute looks awesome. How much are they? Where do u tie it down? Where's the best spot to tie down the anchor as well?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I don't even take an anchor with me these days - they are just too noisy in estuary situations. In the hobie, you just use the pedals to keep you in position when facing into the current - or chuck a 'uie' if you overshoot your spot or just use the stakeout pole in the shallows - no noise.

Just google 'anchor trolley' and you'll find lots of examples for yaks. I use a stakeout pole in the shallows as it is less noisy & works just as well (if not better) than an anchor. (Google 'stakeout pole' too!)

That was a Kiwi Shute & they are about $50 + postage. Aussie chutes are generally smaller (and available from any reputable tackle shop) and I just attach it to my anchor trolley.

The stakeout pole could almost fit thru your side handle - or just put a loop onto the handle & push it thru the loop!! I use a Ski Pole with the 'round plastic bit' removed! You find them pretty cheap in 2nd hand shops. Even better to have one on each side, cos then you can face into the current & wind in any direction you choose. Using just the one, you get swung around at the mercy of both the current & the wind.

I recently upgraded one of my ski poles with an old Fibreglass Beach rod, that I removed all the hardware from - so that I now have a 'deep' one & a shallow one. Both come in handy!

cheers

Roberta

An anchor trolley could still be fitted using a couple of stirrup screwed in to the side of the yak & the pulleys & ropes still attached ....... it comes in handy for the drift shute.