South Coast Popper Action

brendong

Down the coast with the family. Thought I'd chuck in a popper rod and few little poppers. Took a while to find them but once located they went nuts for the NW pencil. At one stage we must have hit 6 fish in 6 casts. They were in the micro shallows less than a foot of water. Best went 33cm which lizard boy nailed. Gee they go hard in the shallows. Must have released just as many again and lost a few. Pulled the hooks on a couple and hooked up again on the same retrieve.

Dam I love summer and poppers....

Won't these be tasty on the BBQ tonight.

post-4925-0-86689800-1383965619_thumb.jpg

Stapo - Lucky Craft make a small popper called an NW Pencil. It's a stick bait which means it doesn't have a cup face and when retrieve it walks across the surface and resembles a fleeing prawn or something similar.

Makes whiting fishing a whole lot of fun as you can see the fish shouldering each other out the way to attack your lure. You also end up with very few throw backs as most fish you catch will be around legal size or better.

Get Santa to get you some poppers for Christmas and go hard I reckon. In you YouTube whiting on popper you can watch a few clips to I'd say.

Scratchie - NW pencils are my hands down fav poppers. Pulled my PB bass on one earlier this year. Smacked some blue nose bream, horse whiting even saw my cousin pull a 70 plus flathead on one.

Not cheap at $22 bucks but I would never start a popper session without one. Bassday SugaPens would go my second fav, followed by Sammy65's and Jazz Zappers.

Well done. A bundle of fun that! Was trying it a bit during September but it was probably a bit too cold. Never got a whiting off surface (and only bass) so this is all new to me but this has inspired me to try again. I use the cheaper surface walker and popper alternatives ($15 and under) such as Berkley scum dogs, Berkley pop dogs and another of their 'dogs' :biggrinthumb: Gladiato r kozamis and some unknown clear poppers. Another lure type which I have been literally salivating to buy and give a test run are those bent minnows (OSP and the new Banana boat surface dancer from Austackle). So real!

Edited by nbdshroom

Always fun whiting on surface

Out of curiosity what are your best colours Ive always found clear or something with a touch of yellow in it

I reckon yellow is the key, Andrew

post-3198-0-79931000-1384035961_thumb.jpg

Congrats on a very tasty feed Brendon. The surface action is only going to improve even more!

Best wishes to you and the family

Ian

Brendon, thanks on the info and tips, I have seen the boy's on the flat use something similar, they also take the middle trebles off and then reverse the whole thing.

I'll be giving it a try very shortly, thanks.

Hit all my whiting on the very bottom left one in hodgy's pic. But also have top left too. Plus a few other colors mostly naturals looking ones.

+1 for the NW Pencil in Chartreuse - has caught me lots of bream & whiting. have also found the river2sea baby rover 50 (clear & red colour) to be dynamite on whiting.

Nice I'm heading down to ulladulla next month to smash them on the sand flats, try fillet them leaving the tail on then light batter deep fry, u can eat the tails there krispy

Sand flats at Ulladulla?

Not aware that there are any sand flats at Ulladulla itself but some good whiting spots in the surf at Mollymook and big sand flats in both Burrill and Lake Conjola plus parts of Narrawallee. Is this were you will be fishing?

I also hear the Lake Tabourie has some good fish in it in parts. I haven't fished there myself but going to have a go in my lightweight car topper early next year.

Cheers

Paikea

Nice fish Poddy, sound like the family had a good time with all the whiting and trevally. Never had much luck with the NW, maybe it was the colour I was using.

Pulled a 37cm version in Sydney yesterday on the same lure. The fish must have had 5 goes at it before I finally loaded up....was like fighting a little boney....

Well done. A bundle of fun that! Was trying it a bit during September but it was probably a bit too cold. Never got a whiting off surface (and only bass) so this is all new to me but this has inspired me to try again. I use the cheaper surface walker and popper alternatives ($15 and under) such as Berkley scum dogs, Berkley pop dogs and another of their 'dogs' :biggrinthumb: Gladiato r kozamis and some unknown clear poppers. Another lure type which I have been literally salivating to buy and give a test run are those bent minnows (OSP and the new Banana boat surface dancer from Austackle). So real!

Beware of these berkley stuff I bought a couple in the past and ended up thinking it was 15 $ too much. Never caught anything but toadies on this scum dog **** :( IMO sand flat fishing is really not risky and it is the one technique where you can buy 25 $ ones, you'll never lose your stuff pretty much, except if the odd flatty / chopper smashes the lure but it is still quite rare on the super shallow sand flats. get a good Sugar Pen you will not regret it. I found these gekkabijin stickbaits to work a treat as well. As per scum dog, bought it because I found it was close to Sammy and very good looking (not because of its low price), put all my faith in it to end up drawing this conclusion: it is the most ineffective mini stick bait I ever used, so are those relatively cheap BIG EYE blades ... All this looks good, appears to swim good, doesn't catch fish, why ? Mystery... I caught my PB flathead on this big eye crap, but when I catch one with it I would have already caught 10 with a SX40, when I caught 1 fish with a scum dog, I already caught 20 with a sugar pen, you get my point ?

Beware of these berkley stuff I bought a couple in the past and ended up thinking it was 15 $ too much. Never caught anything but toadies on this scum dog **** :( IMO sand flat fishing is really not risky and it is the one technique where you can buy 25 $ ones, you'll never lose your stuff pretty much, except if the odd flatty / chopper smashes the lure but it is still quite rare on the super shallow sand flats. get a good Sugar Pen you will not regret it. I found these gekkabijin stickbaits to work a treat as well. As per scum dog, bought it because I found it was close to Sammy and very good looking (not because of its low price), put all my faith in it to end up drawing this conclusion: it is the most ineffective mini stick bait I ever used, so are those relatively cheap BIG EYE blades ... All this looks good, appears to swim good, doesn't catch fish, why ? Mystery... I caught my PB flathead on this big eye crap, but when I catch one with it I would have already caught 10 with a SX40, when I caught 1 fish with a scum dog, I already caught 20 with a sugar pen, you get my point ?

I'm sure that in some other system some one uses scum dogs & big eye blades & catches

a heap of fish on them & not the others lures you mentioned.

Well done Poddy on a top surface session. I love catching whiting on surface.

So visual & so much fun.

Cheers,

Grant.