A hawkesbury challenge!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

I decided to drag the boat down to the hawkesbury yesterday with jnr scratchie for a local tavern comp. With the impending weather predicted it was a difficult decision but I'm always keen, so I thought bugger it and that is where the challenge began!

We were greeted to hostile winds and threats of lightning, rain, the works and it was difficult even launching the boat. As we ventured out, the usually calm river was a torrent of wind and swell and we were bobbing up and down like a brides nighty! We finally made it to our spot to hide from the wind as best possible but our idea to throw SP's was gone. We drifted hungry bay for a few hours and picked up a few flatty for our troubles, all around the 40cm mark.

post-24974-0-90995300-1384672182_thumb.jpg

Jnr also managed to catch a squid and after some clever netting, he was put in the live tank with a plan in mind.

post-24974-0-39219400-1384672287_thumb.jpg

It was becoming a bit mundane drifting the same area and we took our opportunity with a slight drop in the wind and we headed out between flint & steel to Juno. Great decision, first I'm on to a nice little soapie, then jnr and then double hook up! It was a great little sesh with 6 Jew in 40mins ranging from 40-55cm.

post-24974-0-70967100-1384672608_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-77289900-1384672647_thumb.jpg

It was then time to find a spot for the night and we'd done well to dodge the rain and wind and still managed a few fish, so we bunked down in JB out of the wind. I really like this spot and a chance to use this live squid with a chance of a resident Jew. Anyway we dropped anchor, burleyed up and was waiting for the tide to change bit this time there was no dodging the rain. It bucketed down, so out went the live squid and a livey I caught. And we retreated to the cabin. Right on the tide change, off goes the squid and I jump out pick up the rod, strike zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, a run of 100m in 5secs as the run stops and feel the weight, a shake of the head and goooooooooone! I was shattered and wound in the rod to find still most of my squid there but dead. Oh well, reset the hooks and out she goes. Nothing for about hour so I hit the bed and just as I fell to sleep zzzzzzzzzzz, I jump up, half asleep, wet, no shoes and try again. This time it comes up solid and the hook is set. I yell to get jnr up to give me a hand as it's pitch black and I didn't want to drop this one! So with the aid of my little mate I battle with this fish for 10mins and it wasn't until it finally surfaced and it was a bloody Noah's ark!

post-24974-0-66369200-1384673485_thumb.jpg

So off to bed, cold wet and disappointed and nothing for the rest of the night. We awoke in the morning to similar conditions and managed a couple more flatty before heading home! It was probably some of the most challenging conditions I experienced in sometime but still managed a feed and most importantly made it home safe!

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Lets not forget that the minimum size on jew is now 70 cm and you can only keep 2, more of a By-catch than target spices.

Sorry maddog, should have mention all jews were released. I even managed to remove an extra hook and leader on one of them. I'm very much a proactive fisho and generally when I chase Jew they aren't by-catch!

Edited by Scratchie

Great work mate, I wish my young bloke would spend the night on the boat, in his mind....... No wifi no life.

Cheers noel, if you have an iPhone you can set a personal hotspot so he can use his wifi. Just a thought. I've lost my eldest fishing bud, to girls, scooters and surfing!

Scratchie and jnr what a team

Only the keenest fishos would of went out on the weekend .and it paid off with some good fish.

Is that a arrow squid very small tentacles

Well done boys

Brian

Thanks Brian, yep it got pretty hectic a few times but the beauty of the hawkesbury is there's generally somewhere to hide. It is an arrow head, great bait for that area!

Nice report mate good to see someone else braved the weather and got abit of luck.

I was there on Saturday as well. Didn't go all the way around to Juno because we thought it wouldn't be too protected there. We stayed in between the railway bridge and the oyster racks just north of Milson Island. Caught a bunch of <35cm Jewies all over the place and caught a 40cm flathead under the road bridges as well as 2 more 40cm flatties and one just over 50cm at the oyster leases as well as various other small fish. Put out a livie and got hit and almost immediately got busted off.

Well done.

Jason

Nice report mate good to see someone else braved the weather and got abit of luck.

I was there on Saturday as well. Didn't go all the way around to Juno because we thought it wouldn't be too protected there. We stayed in between the railway bridge and the oyster racks just north of Milson Island. Caught a bunch of <35cm Jewies all over the place and caught a 40cm flathead under the road bridges as well as 2 more 40cm flatties and one just over 50cm at the oyster leases as well as various other small fish. Put out a livie and got hit and almost immediately got busted off.

Well done.

Jason

Thanks mate. Was tuff going out there! There will certainly be a few Jews about in a couple of days after this rain. Well done on your catch too!

Great report and great work report as usual Scratchie! Nice one, what'd you pick the jews up on? Junior sure knows his stuff! Love the enthusiasm.

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Thanks witha! Was using fresh hawkesbury river prawns but the key is to half hitch them so they stay presented nice in a strong current.

Jnr is a really keen fisho but just loves the whole journey!

Scratch you truly are the most dedicated fisho I've meet ,would off loved to see the WTF (winmalee tavern fishing club) faces if you landed that Jew, but it was good enough seeing bobs face when john told him that you had already weighed in at the ramp, he started to panic cause he thought he had won.And when your name got called as the overall winner he started abuseing john saying that they have changed the rules just for you, priceless ,you dead set deserved it to and let's not forget Brandon what a champ tough as nails don't know where he gets it from, well done boys top effort

Scratch you truly are the most dedicated fisho I've meet ,would off loved to see the WTF (winmalee tavern fishing club) faces if you landed that Jew, but it was good enough seeing bobs face when john told him that you had already weighed in at the ramp, he started to panic cause he thought he had won.And when your name got called as the overall winner he started abuseing john saying that they have changed the rules just for you, priceless ,you dead set deserved it to and let's not forget Brandon what a champ tough as nails don't know where he gets it from, well done boys top effort

Thanks diesel. I still don't know what I'm going to do when I retire! Lol. Would have loved to see bobs face, priceless indeed. You increase your chances of catching fish when your lines in the water and not just a can in your hand. As yeah, little Brando is a champ. And I wish were there, cos I definitely would have landed that Jew, your my lucky charm!

haven't fished like this for soooo long

missed the old days nothing could stop me fishing

i was about to go out on the weekend

but my body isn't what it use to be lol

As you can probably gather nothing stops me! It's the best addiction I have.

Tremendous form as always Scratchie and top write up!

The Scratchie family is running hot at the moment and never disappoints.

Admirable dedication for getting out there in the dismal conditions and delivering the goods.

Wonderful effort and keep up the terrific work.

Ian

Tremendous form as always Scratchie and top write up!

The Scratchie family is running hot at the moment and never disappoints.

Admirable dedication for getting out there in the dismal conditions and delivering the goods.

Wonderful effort and keep up the terrific work.

Ian

Cheers Ian, the more excuses to go fishing the better I say. If I'm not fishing, I thinking of my next fishing trip! Even the fish in our tank at home get nervous when I walk past! Lol