Broughton Island Snapper!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

After a few conversations with a fellow raider Oziodin, I got a leave pass and decided to join him and his mate on a trip around port stephens. Been the local, I had a few ideas in mind and we headed off to fill the tank with livies. First stop cabbage tree and it didn't take long to get quite a few in the tank and the boys were well pleased with the little effort required.

Next we headed off to Broughton island and with a specific target of snapper. We dropped anchor but failed to hold bottom, so back up we went and this time successful so we started a burley trail. Mixing up our baits we found peeled prawn to be the choice and I loaded my 3/8 5inch jig head with large peeled prawn and let it drift down the current. First hit, a nice little panny, second another panny. The boys were into to and managed a few different fish and dropped something that took one of their livies.

Then I was calling for a change in location, and as I spoke I was feeling my line to see where the jig was and bang zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz it sliced through my finger and peeling line like no tomorrow. This was a bigger panny for sure. After a great fight with several runs and some clever netting by Oziodin it comes the beautiful specimen!

post-24974-0-07000300-1384916852_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-14962900-1384916900_thumb.jpg

I then thought it might be good idea to head further out and chase some kings or trag but once we got there the current was pushing fast south and we were drifting north and even with 12oz sinkers couldn't hold bottom.

We decided then on a slow troll from the islands in but didn't manage another fish!

It was a beautiful morning on the water, it was great to meet yet another raider Oziodin and mate, thank you both for hospitality and you are both great blokes. I hope you enjoy your trip and hope I helped in some way to show you a few spots. Sorry I caught the big one but as I said "the fish seem to like the locals more, lol"

post-24974-0-03210200-1384917340_thumb.jpg

The snapper went 68cm just 4kg and will go real well on the BBQ tonight!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers scratchie!!!

well done scratch, thx for msg me the pics when im at work sweating it out, hence the no reply :1gun2: great catch and you deserve everything you pull in :thumbup:

Cheers mate, I know how much you love me sending you pics! ?

I'm just trying to insipire you to get you big A up here!

Scratchie once again very impressive :-). You always seem to impress and on the fish. Next time I'm heading up there we will need to tee it up.

Regards

Vo2c88

Thanks Vic. It's more the time I put in than anything. When your up here next give me a bell.

Woohoo!! Well done, Scratchie!! Great Snap!!! Can you get there by Yak??? ;)

Roberta

Thanks Roberta! Lol ????

It would take you a month to paddle there!

But I tell you what, you have provoked a thought in my to load the yak on the boat and have a go! The weather would have to be a glass out though!

It is a tremendous Mecca for fishing, I'm amazed by the amount and size of fish every time I'm there! For the record it's 15km nne from Tomaree headland and has many sanctuary zones around it. Definitely any fisho should put on their bucket list!

They do that a lot in NZ - take the 'mother ship' out to outlying islands/snapper grounds & then launch the yaks!! A buddy in NZ landed a massive kingie from his yak (35kg) last year!!!

cheers

Roberta

They do that a lot in NZ - take the 'mother ship' out to outlying islands/snapper grounds & then launch the yaks!! A buddy in NZ landed a massive kingie from his yak (35kg) last year!!!

cheers

Roberta

Wow, that would have been a challenge and a half. It's actually a really great spot for kings and that will be my target this summer! Look out! ?

Wow, well done again Jeff! A worthy contender for COTM. That's a good picture, you look chuffed!

Thanks Pete, was fairly pleased with my effort. Not a PB but the biggest I've caught for a while. And I've tried the method I used before with some success but it was pleasing to get this result!