Kings & Sambos in Manly

quochuy

I recently planned several early morning sessions with a fishing buddy I met in Balmoral. We are trying to catch some kinggies off the rocks. So for me it's wake up time at around 3.30am and head down to one of the wharfs in Mosman. 4 am ish, yakkas are getting caught on prawn or minced beef. I use either a hand line or a pen fishing rod. Usually 4 yakkas are enough for me as I have to leave the spot at 7am to go back home and get ready for work. My mate stays till 10.

5am we're in North, South Curl Curl or Manly.

Yakkas on a float and bottom rig and there we go.

After few weeks we were getting donuts or the usual bream and trevally, but finally last week, an hour after I left, my mate caught a 1.10m @9.4kg King fish, when I caught a small Aussie Salmon before leaving.

post-31714-13865410588632_thumb.jpg

post-31714-13865410815912_thumb.jpg

He was definitely happy of his catch :-D

It was caught on a squid strip, was whole but a small fish ate the head before...

Here is his setup:

8000 shimano baitrunner oc reel

10-15kg 12ft timber wolf rod

30lb braid

50lb leader

7/0 double snell rig

It took 10 mins of good fight.

Here's my salmon, post-31714-13865411638982_thumb.jpg

Went back today, caught another Sambo, lost another one on a 2nd line (double hook up) due to a bad knot on the snap :-( and a flathead who tried to swallow a yellowtail on a bottom rig.

My setup is:

Alvey 13ft 650 GTS rod

Alvey 650 A1 rod

15 lb main mono

30 lb fluoro leade

Size 6/0 suicide hook

11ft Saratoga Mawler rod

Shimano Aerlex 8000 XSA

10lb braid

30lb fluoro leader

Same hook

Huy

Thats awesome :)

I've been chucking in pilchards off Rose bay but only getting a few bites and the biggest one got off the hook.

Any chance you could post up a pic on a map of where abouts to go as Im reasonably new to anywhere other than Lurline bay.

Cheers.

Try live yellowtail or squid or very fresh squid.

As for location, we want to keep the spot secret as it's been over fished in the past. Still a bit now I reckon. But it's part of the harbour around Manly Wharf ;-)

I fish around that part of Manly a bit as well......

with Kingfish like that they do come around and might turn up on different rock point at times, but don't expect every outing..............

also quochuy had put in a lot of work prior to that... well done

time + effort = reward + 1 very happy fisherman :) Well done to your mate.

Even those sambos you're getting from time to time put up a decent fight, and any flatty that ate a livie would have to be of a decent size!

Dododog, you're right. The kings are not around all the time and when they are they don't come at the same time of the day. Probably related to the tide but to be confirmed with more fishing :-D

As for the rig, my mate used a float rig. I'm not sure about the length of his leader. Mine is about two meters under the float. I personally fish both float and bottom in one session.

Thanks all guys.

Doing another sesh now. I convinced a colleague to wake up early and fish with me watching the sun rising. He'll join me after I catch the yakkas though, can't have have him wake up at 3.30 in the first one, can I? lol