New Zealand December 2013

Centrepin

New Zealand North Island December 2013

We were looking for an easier trip and selected an area around Taraura. This was predominately farming country and did not have the issues with larger rivers and crossings encountered in the back country rivers.

We knew they had rain the week before and I was gladdened when the streams we crossed closer to Wellington were fairly clear. This continued to within 50K.m’s of our destination and then it changed. The rivers became progressively dirtier till the major rivers were unfishable.

Luckily we found some smaller water that was fishable the first day. It had a reputation for larger fish that were very difficult customers. 1 or 2 fish for the day would be a good result.

Walking downstream we were greeted with the sight of a large fish feeding in the head of a pool. Evi was first up and I was deployed to spot. Double nymphs were the order of the day and try was she might could not get the fish to take. It showed interest and after several interested looks finally a smaller fish took the nymph and the duck was broken.

post-10909-0-98693200-1387243803_thumb.jpg

post-10909-0-43320900-1387243870_thumb.jpg

The next runs were quiet and it was again Evi that came up tight fishing blind in a very fishy run.

post-10909-0-72390600-1387243882_thumb.jpg

Lot’s of fish were seen but they were mostly looking down. I think the flies were going over them and not even noticed. This river was very difficult to get a good drift to the sighted fish. It was close to lunch when I came up on a smaller rainbow again fishing blind.

Finally another brown came to hand and again it was caught when targeting another fish. We were satisfied with the day but could not help but lament about the number of possible opportunities we could not connect with for the day.

The next day dawned slightly overcast and the water we aimed for was bigger and running close to clear. I went to the tail of the pool and left Evi the head. On the first cast I thought the nymph to heavy, or the water too shallow,as the indicator was pulling under. Second cast the same and lifted up to find a small rainbow attached. Thus started a run of fish from the tail. Evi joined the fun with 2 or 3 nice fish from the head. All were rainbows most just under 3 lbs. A cracker rainbow about 4.5lbs released itself after 10 mins.

post-10909-0-03375400-1387243901_thumb.jpg

There were browns on the edges in the shallow water between the runs. These were extremely difficult to spot as they kept moving and the light was not good enough.

This was the pattern of the day. All runs produced fish. Rainbows out-numbered browns about 10 : 1. We finished the day very satisfied.

post-10909-0-73849500-1387243917_thumb.jpg

We returned the next morning to see the river lower and the fish not present in the tails. We managed 1 or 2 in the runs till they got difficult. Some fancy flies were engaged to get a few more good fish to the party.

post-10909-0-96149600-1387243928_thumb.jpg

post-10909-0-37953800-1387243944_thumb.jpg

On our last day we fished higher up for no result.

A change of rivers had us into fish on the first run. This was a lovely rainbow that came to hand in a popular picnic spot next to the road.

post-10909-0-51718300-1387243954_thumb.jpg

The weather closed in with rain.

We had had a great couple of days fishing and just didn’t want to slog it out in the rain so returned to our lovely Cabin and fire to relax a savour the rest of our time away.

Geoff and Evi

Ahh the Makuri a magic stream one of the few chalk streams in the area! The Managatainoka was a favourite too good to see it has recovered well it suffered a little in 2008/2009, the Manawatu dirties easily! Great report mate, did you have a crack at the sea runners in the lower Hutt river in Welly? If it is the picnic area I am thinking of did you go for a tour of the establishement next to it???

Mate at leaset your doing better than me six days on the Swampy and Geehi and saw 8 fish!!!!! did not catch one!!!!