New boat - not a bad start... :-)

jim77

In the process of moving over to NZ for a new job starting in January. Currently over here for a couple of weeks to sort out a few things. Getting my priorities right a boat was high up on my list of the first things to get sorted out.

After having spent the past 2 months researching EVERY 2nd hand boat in NZ I finally found one that was reasonably priced. Viewed and bought it last Monday - managed to persuade the Mrs to let me go out on it last Thursday and Friday.

It's a Surtees 610 Barcrusher. I will repower it with a 4 stroke (faarrkk it's thirsty with the current 135hp 2 banger!) but for now it's good enough to get me out there.

First Kingy to come over the gunnels - 22kg caught on jig in 18m of water - brutal fight with crazy drag employed! Also got 2 others well over a metre and my mate got another. Choice!

The next day we got owned by a seriously big fush. Good fun but annoying all the same.

Caught up with the fly fishing Dr for a couple of fish - you know it's good fishing when you are throwing 95cm kings back :-)

Next target is a decent Red, and then a proper attempt at some BIG kingies.

Merry Xmas everyone.

post-4846-0-22675900-1387263522_thumb.jpg

Hey Jim,

I don't think you're gonna get ANY work done in NZ because your mind will be on the FUSH !

You know you're in NZ when you have a 22kg fish in your arms - cradled - and you say you want to get some BIG ones instead...

Sheesh !

Also I thought Surtees and Barcrusher were two different brands, even though there are some striking similarities to their looks.

So which one is it ?

Tony

Chur Chur Bro,

My daughter has just moved to NZ (married a Kiwi) and will be settling in Tauranga. I have visted twice and fished Opape (charter) for an insane session on the Reds and Kahawai (our Aussie Salmon), they taste better in NZ. Going back in Feb to hit the kingfish out of Tauranga and to visit my daughter (of course). Really thinking of moving over there, love Mount Maunganui.

Good luck with your job and move and no need for luck with the fishing.

John

Hey Jim,

I don't think you're gonna get ANY work done in NZ because your mind will be on the FUSH !

You know you're in NZ when you have a 22kg fish in your arms - cradled - and you say you want to get some BIG ones instead...

Sheesh !

Also I thought Surtees and Barcrusher were two different brands, even though there are some striking similarities to their looks.

So which one is it ?

Tony

Hi Tony - I think you might be right on the work front... I struggled in Sydney in terms of dreaming about fishing. I'm worried how I'm going to go when I know there are. 30kg + Kings to catch less than 2 hrs away!!

The boat IS a Surtees Barcrusher. Surtees is the Brand, Barcrusher is the model. The Barcrusher boats in oz are similar but not the same. Apparently there is some legal stuff going on...

Soooooo, you're a teacher eh Jum ?

Don't tell me you yourself will be Jigging school !

OK, for those unaware, the term jigging school is what I used to use when I meant truancy.

But in this case Jim, you can't jig school to jig kings coz you're the teacher.

Just make sure the student's don't catch you staring out the window, imaginary rod in hand, glancing back at the apple Mac sonar watching for shows on the pinnacles...

It gets embarrassing when the students have to shout "SIR" several times to bring you back to the reality of the classroom.... :fishing1: .

OK so there is a Surtees barcrusher. Interesting they would choose that name of model. I can see why there is legal stuff going on.

Surtees looks like a more up-market form of boat than the barcrusher anyway.

Oh well Jim, good luck with the gig and we look forward to your next jig....

Tony

WOW!! Well done on that terrific Kingie, Jim!! The first of many more to come, methinks!! All the best with your new school in NZ .....

Have you checked out the Kiwi show Big Angry Fish? THey get into huge kingies & snapper all the time! ;) Check 'em out!

I just wish I was more into my fishing when I lived there for 15 years!! I got into some good trout fly fishing around Rotorua & Taupo tho but not much boating stuff! :ranting2::mad3:

Have a great Xmas & enjoy

Roberta

You lucky sod, NZ has to be my favourite place to fish, especially the Coramandel.

But fancy everyone mentioning NZ's flat vowels (fush Etc) in their posts.

Reminds me of a time when I was working in Auckland and driving under a big steel girder from what I believe was a railway bridge. (it was a long time ago) Anyway the aussies were playing cricket at the time and some wag had used a spray can to paint the slogan

AUSTRALIA SUCKS

Obviously an Aussie then added;

NEW ZEALAND NILL!

You've gotta love that rivalry between the Kiwis and us.

Cheers

Paikea