Any hints on squidding

oziodin

I've never tried Squidding , I got the Squid Jig and the Glow Sent ( is it any help?) any hints how to go about it ! do you need Burley ?when is it best time during the night tide etc.. any Help is Appreciated. also Chinamans Beach , any where in Sydney Harbour any suggestions .

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

Try using our search function or checking our articles

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/squidding-sydney-harbour.php

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/how-to-catch-squid.php

Check all the other articles here at http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles.php or click the word ARTICLES at top of forum

Squid can be caught day or night but usually at night if landbased. Fish lit areas at night because the light attracts the bait which in turn keeps the squid around. Glow scent/jigs and red foil jigs are better at night but don't let that stop you from chopping and changing colours/size if it's not working and you know the squid are there.

Try all kinds of retrieves, but you can't go wrong with a slow lift. Stay in contact with the jig at all times, and try not to strike (can be hard to do coming from normal lure fishing - takes some unlearning) when you get a hit. It can be hard to see the hit at night but it will be much easier to feel - feels like hitting a soft snag and after a few seconds it begins to pulse. When this happens, slow lift into it and the cephlapod will be yours. Also try not to 'fight' the squid in the conventional sense or you'll end up with a tentacle for squid :thumbdown: Early on I made that mistake, but the big ones pull hard like a fish but keep the drag looser than normal because a squid cannot spool you but is more likely to rip its tentacle off in the powerful jets. Also always keep tension on the squid in the same direction. Don't switch up angles especially when landing because slack line = jig falling out.

Good luck!

P.S. don't strike lol

Edited by nbdshroom

Squid can be caught day or night but usually at night if landbased. Fish lit areas at night because the light attracts the bait which in turn keeps the squid around. Glow scent/jigs and red foil jigs are better at night but don't let that stop you from chopping and changing colours/size if it's not working and you know the squid are there.

Try all kinds of retrieves, but you can't go wrong with a slow lift. Stay in contact with the jig at all times, and try not to strike (can be hard to do coming from normal lure fishing - takes some unlearning) when you get a hit. It can be hard to see the hit at night but it will be much easier to feel - feels like hitting a soft snag and after a few seconds it begins to pulse. When this happens, slow lift into it and the cephlapod will be yours. Also try not to 'fight' the squid in the conventional sense or you'll end up with a tentacle for squid :thumbdown: Early on I made that mistake, but the big ones pull hard like a fish but keep the drag looser than normal because a squid cannot spool you but is more likely to rip its tentacle off in the powerful jets. Also always keep tension on the squid in the same direction. Don't switch up angles especially when landing because slack line = jig falling out.

Good luck!

P.S. don't strike lol

Great info there Pete!

Good luck!

P.S. don't strike lol

All good advice. I find that keeping your jig near the bottom then using a slow lift whilst winding in and allowing the jig to drop again works best for me.

Patches of the broad brown weed among bare rocks have always produced the best results for me.

Cheers

Paikea

You want to use a 2.5 sized jig in up to about 20feet of water the rick is really really

Slow retrieve over some weed or kelp beds where there's some rock and sand and a whole mixture if things. You want to keep the jig just above the weeds, let it sink down and try and snag yourself on some weed then you will know where your at in the water coloumn and just keep it above that with the occasional jerk as if it's a prawn or baitfish darting out if the weeds and let it sink back down

Guest Aussie007

i use to find run in tide in the port hacking worked best and change of tides but i guess it depends on where your squidding, i use to use a jig that is the lightest but would eventually reach the bottom, a very slow retrieve always worked if u think your going slow go even slower

use well known brands like yo-zuri and yamashita, my fav is the yo-zuri in orange, these squid jigs cost a bit but you'll catch far more squid over time on these jigs than using the $1 jigs but you'll find on some days a lot of squid will happily jump on a $1 jig but those days are few and far between

if u havent found a spot do a search for locations, port hacking is loaded with squid with the odd huge ones about but mostly small and in botany bay by boat u catch more larger squid but u need a boat to get to the good locations

A variety of colours is essential. This has been proven to be true time and time again. Last week whilst spinning lures off the rocks, there was a guy squiding with a grey jig for an hour solid with no result. His mate rocks up with a green jig and within 10 minutes caught a pair of very good calamari.

Quality jigs swim better, and using a variety of retrieves can change things up.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Clean water near river mouths ,

Areas of broken grd, kelp rock sand.

no burley needed.

Quality jigs are a must . The packet will tell you the sink rate x sec /m.

Match to the depth your fishing.

I personally prefer yamashita jigs.

soft plastic style rod will suit. 6 lb braid to 12lb leader. Lighter leader equals easy to lose jigs.

I get more squid during the late morning than at night .

Regards paul