Blackfishing with Squigs

arpie

Hi guys

I ducked down to the wharf near the Amaroo yesterday afternoon to see if I could hook a blackie or two ----- it was FULL of people chucking in bait & SPs trying for bream & flatties & I got chatting to a nice young lad from Oyster Bay, Sydney, (Kyle and a KEEN fisho who just joined FR yesterday after I suggested he do so) - and even tho I wasn't 'landing' fish - he was keen to try for blackies! So, I gave him a float & set him up with a blackfish setup. He had already grabbed some weed .....

We also met up with Chris/Landbased who was fishing there - he thought he recognised me from FR! LOL He very kindly gave Kyle a float & blackie hooks too! Thanks Chris!

I had landed a small one earlier but we both only managed 'downs' without hookups yesterday afternoon - so he said he would go back today, prior to heading back to Sydney on Friday!

Checking my emails today, there is a PM on Fishraider from someone I was unfamiliar with ..... Squigs - and I read it & it was Kyle! :D He landed a nice 32cm blackie this morning but busted off in the process & needed to know how to tie my 'loop knot'! So, off I headed, to help the young lad out!

I got him rigged up again and we started fishing ....... and blow me down if he doesn't catch another one!! 28cm this time - both fish were duly photographed and returned to the water!

I left him a short while ago, still fishing ...... he'll probably land a whopper before he heads home!!

It was a pleasure to help Kyle & I know he will be keen to get into some blackfishing when back home near the Georges River!! I hope he will read this post & put some pics up of his fish!! :banana:

He reckons he'll be up again next year (for a week longer) and I am sure we'll get together for a fish - possibly in the kayak as well! ;)

I must take my blackie gear out with me next time I get out in the yak! :P

cheerio

Roberta

Roberta you need to get Stormy up there, he is the gun Blackfisherman who out fishes his mates 5 to 1.

Sounds as though you had a great time mentoring Squigs who seems to be up and away now. Another convert to the art of Blackfishing.

Cheers

Paikea

Thanks, Paikea - definitely a convert to the 'dark art' of Blackfishing - his attention to detail was WAY above his years! ...... once learned, never forgotten!!

I can see Squigs (hopefully) 'hooking up' with the likes of dedicated FR 'blackie' fish-os in the area ..... keen to get young anglers into the finer arts of 'black fishing'!

He has a younger brother Jai, who was a bit frustrated with not catching ..... maybe black-fishing will suit him as well!!

Let me know when YOU are up this way & I'll get you tou 'by the seat of your pants' in the yak, too!! ;)

cheers

Roberta

Hey, Swordie, it would be terrific if you would take young Kyle under your wing - he really is a GOOD fisho (in general) and his attention to detail (& instruction) is terrific!! He just LOVES everything 'fishing' (once I get him on to 'bigger braid' line for blackfishing ....

Matter of fact - if Cam isn't available for the EP trip.... I'd love young Kyle to be a part of it instead, too!

Look foward to catching up with both of you! ;)

roberta

Edited by Roberta

Good on you Roberta :)

Looks like you may have created monster hehe.

Good to see he got off the mark nice and early too. Must have had a good instructor. I daresay with such early results it will keep him hooked and wanting to learn more and more. Especially if he was soaking it all in as you were saying.

Roberta, that is an awesome post and for me it's what FR is all about! Helping others attain there goal makes you both feel good. That is why you are a mentor and a valuable asset to this site! Sometimes watching others land a fish or fish of a lifetime is just or more rewarding than catching one yourself. Good on the other fisho Chris for helping out too. I just love hearing stories like this.

It is the reason I give out so much info as I can too!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks guys - it was just SO good to meet up with a polite young man who absorbs and understands everything that you tell him!! He was also very helpful with other people on the wharf - grabbing a net & assisting in landing THEIR fish for them, so THEY wouldn't bust off!! He was lucky with his - it busted off onto the wharf, so still got the pic! :D

There was a neat bunch of good kids there & I reckon at least one other will be joining FR too - he landed a nice flattie whilst we were there, then sadly dropped his rod & reel into the water, so that was the end of HIS day's fishing! Another man that I spoke to about blackies may be joining up soon, too!

cheers

Roberta

Well done, Kyle & :1welcomeani: :1welcomeani: to Fishraider!! Looking forward to more blackie reports!

There is a wealth of information here for you to learn different fishing techniques along the way ...... but just remember that blackfish are around ALL YEAR and are a very reliable fish to target!! ;)

cheerio and see you next time you are up here!

Roberta