Palm Beach - times are tough... 10/1 & 11/1

00ROTA

Hi all, first fishing report from me, and its really not too exciting unfortunately!

Headed out with a mate over the past couple nights for a fish down at Palm Beach near the pool, hoping to catch something decent, and had kingfish on my mind! 1st night got there about 1am and rigged up some fresh Hawkesbury arrow squid that i caught on a 60lb leader with 2 snelled 5/0 circle hooks, and launched it out on a couple rods. Action was pretty slow for about 40 mins then my rod was on. Unfortunately the second i picked it up, i realized it was a time waster of a fish, and sure enough out comes a heavy ray. Managed to return it to the water really quickly, and another hour passed.

Next thing to come up was a ~70cm shovel nose on one rod, and a smaller one on my other setup. Both anchored themselves quite well and tried to play with the rocks, but got them up without losing my rigs. Got both in the drink nice and quickly, and thought it was time to have a flick for squid while time was passing.

1st flick of the squid jig and managed a nice southern calamari, followed by a couple more within the next 5 flicks. Put the smaller of them on my rigs and sent them out live, one weighted with a running ball sinker, one un-weighted. This came at the perfect time as we were near the end of my Hawkesbury arrow squids.

A little time passed, (4am now) and BANG. My 20lb setup of the was SINGING. The rod was about a split second from being dragged into the drink when i got my hands on it. Tightened up the drag a little, and played with this fish for a good 15 mins. I haven't felt power like this from a fish for ages. Watched my line getting dragged towards the rocks, tried to persuade the fish to get away, and snap. Nothing..... Absolutely crushed. Had a fish for another hour, and called it quits.

Second night, got there at roughly the same time. Swell was a tad larger, but still a nice night. This time i brought my larger gear. 2x Pflueger Salt 070s, 50lb braid on a Penn Ultimate 12' rod, and a Penn Prevail 13' rod Using 60lb Jinkai leaders on both. Night was near identical. Caught a couple Port Jackson sharks, few squid, and at 4.40am, BANG. one of the setups was singing, felt almost the same as the day before, and i had a tad more hope!

Played with the fish for a little while, was actually getting somewhere with this one, and then snap. no more fish.

Even though she was a slow couple of nights and i didn't get the fish i was after, i managed to beat my PB squid, and get a feed of Calamari. Lets see how tonight goes?

James.

post-32816-0-82399200-1389423900_thumb.jpg

post-32816-0-77869000-1389423902_thumb.jpg

post-32816-0-19673300-1389423905_thumb.jpg

Didnt feel like a Jew run or act like a Jew, however, it is definitely a possibility. I have actually caught a fair few rats land based JUST before first light, or as the sky starts changing colour in the distance.

Nothing decent in the same spot last night, other than squid. Managed a Cala with a 37cm hood! Was quite impressed, seeing as the majority of the summer squid are quite smaller. The other squid (8 all up) were all around 15cm to 20cm hoods.

Still, no decent fish, but going to start marinading my squid for tomorrows dinner - Teriyaki BBQ!

• 2 weeks later...

Zaki, off the rocks at Palm/Whale beach.

Went on Fri night again as a last minute thing and missed the right tide cycle. Guessing we got there just at the end of good squidding time. Still caught 9 of them all up, along with a bull shark, and a decent port jackson and gummy. Wasnt really feeling it, but gave it a shot regardless! may try again later tonight, or go to Avoca.

Been meaning to head down to Port Hacking for some fishing for months. Dont know the area at all though, so just give up on the idea when it pops into my head.