Kayak session in Pittwater

Rockett1985

Hi everyone this is my first post but have been reading the site for a long time and thought it was about time I contributed! Last week I took out the kayak for a few sessions in pittwater, I was using frozen Californian squid slow trolling them using the poor mans down rigger! I had a lot of fun out there catching rats through the moorings! I happened to bump into a mate out there on his boat and managed to get a live slimy off him so on the hooks it went and sent him out as I was paddling I noticed some bait skipping across the surface and headed straight for it when I got within 10m of the bait my reel started screaming straight towards a mooring after a short fight and being towed around by the fish I finally turned his head and brought him to the yak and it turned out to be a nice 73cm king. My first legal king in the kayak and also had another first that day with a nice little samson fish caught on the Californian squid paddling through the moorings! Great little session well worth the 3hrs of non stop paddling!!

post-33042-0-20833000-1390122086_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone this is my first post but have been reading the site for a long time and thought it was about time I contributed! Last week I took out the kayak for a few sessions in pittwater, I was using frozen Californian squid slow trolling them using the poor mans down rigger! I had a lot of fun out there catching rats through the moorings! I happened to bump into a mate out there on his boat and managed to get a live slimy off him so on the hooks it went and sent him out as I was paddling I noticed some bait skipping across the surface and headed straight for it when I got within 10m of the bait my reel started screaming straight towards a mooring after a short fight and being towed around by the fish I finally turned his head and brought him to the yak and it turned out to be a nice 73cm king. My first legal king in the kayak and also had another first that day with a nice little samson fish caught on the Californian squid paddling through the moorings! Great little session well worth the 3hrs of non stop paddling!!

That is awesome mate! A 73cm king in the yak is great! I'm hoping to score a kingie myself this summer out of my yak. Well done!

That is awesome mate! A 73cm king in the yak is great! I'm hoping to score a kingie myself this summer out of my yak. Well done!

thanks I was pretty happy that's for sure as I only got the yak 3weeks ago and only been out on it a handful of times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks I was pretty happy that's for sure as I only got the yak 3weeks ago and only been out on it a handful of times!

Makes for an even sweeter victory! Good stuff!

Nice one! Can't wait to get a yak! Which one you got mate?

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

I got my yak from eBay an store based in western sydney was pretty cheap $389 with the lot it's pretty dam good I can not fault it!

post-33042-13901811277693_thumb.jpg

Ahh awesome thought it might have been one of them. Was so close to getting one but wanted to see how stable they are. Im 6foot2 and 115kg...reckon they would handle?

Nice work mate what's your poor mans downright setup? :)

I'm keen to get the boat back out on pittwater

Tight lines

Reubs

hey reubs,

I use a about 6ft of leader with a 2 hook sliding rig tied off to a swivel! I then attach a rubber band to my swivel through one of the eyelets and then around a snapper lead to get it to the desired depth! Works a treat use it on my boat as well even though I do have a down rigger on it!

Ahh awesome thought it might have been one of them. Was so close to getting one but wanted to see how stable they are. Im 6foot2 and 115kg...reckon they would handle?

should be fine mate