Very costly mistake.

Fab1

Stopped to help another stranded motorist today after seeing him on the side of the road with steam pouring out of his engine bay.

On inspection this is what I found.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Guest Aussie007

BIG $20 mistake he will need a whole engine replacement, when a engine overheats it warps the alloy head and its very hard to straiten the head again so a replacement engine is called for all over a $20 belt

BIG $20 mistake he will need a whole engine replacement, when a engine overheats it warps the alloy head and its very hard to straiten the head again so a replacement engine is called for all over a $20 belt

You wont need a engine replacement due to a blown head gasket.A head skim and service will cost around $400-depending on the type of engine.$100- for a VRS kit and around 8hr in labor to R&R the head..

Car is back on the road, cause of engine overheat was due to a failed waterpump bearing, which lead to shredded fan belt and head gasket failure due to overheat.Total cost $570.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Good job he didn't put a replacement engine in...

Paikea,

The car was an Au falcon,no idiot light.

It only had a big tempreture gauge in the instrument cluster infront of the driver.

Perhaps I should have offered to install a setup with 1000 volt directly wired to a all metal drivers seat to get his attention in the event of a overheat.

The only minor issue can think of is maybe the driver would be in a rather overheated condition himself.lol.

At the risk of offending people, I am astonded by some of the comments above.

Jumping to conclusions with minimal information is of no benifit to any body involved.

How was any of the conclusions below drawn from the following information?:

- Stopped to help another stranded motorist today after seeing him on the side of the road with steam pouring out of his engine bay.

- Image of a failed drive belt, head gasket failure due to overheating and a very expensive repair bill for this gentleman.

Ha. Thats a fan belt, not a head gasket. Hope he didnt take your advice. The busted fan belt would of caused the over heating. Not overheating causing busted belt
It really is that simple and some thing the mechanic should have picked up on during a scheduled service.

Guest Aussie007

Jumping to conclusions with minimal information is of no benifit to any body involved.

How was any of the conclusions below drawn from the following information?:

- Stopped to help another stranded motorist today after seeing him on the side of the road with steam pouring out of his engine bay.

- Image of a failed drive belt, head gasket failure due to overheating and a very expensive repair bill for this gentleman.

charlie i posted after i seen the belt pics, how was i jumping to conclusions?

I think that the comments were intended as lighthearted observations, not responses to requests for advice.

Cheers

Paikea

charlie i posted after i seen the belt pics, how was i jumping to conclusions?

To answer your question Gazza, suggestions of a complete engine replacement based on a failed drive belt, overheated engine and the suggestion of a failed head gasket from the original poster. You suggested the replacement was Required due to a warped alloy head.

There was no mention of make or model provided. How did you determine the engine was fitted with an alloy head?

Gazza, I have read many a good post of yours in the past such as your drowned outboard repairs and your information has been great.

As per my original post, I was pointing out the conclusions / diagnoses that where drawn with next to no information.

Moving on I've said my piece, what a top bloke to stop and help a complete stranger out.

Sounds like the old fellow was looked after as well as the repair cost sounds like genuine 1990's pricing to have the head gasket, water pump and drive belt resolved.

Good on you.

I agree with Cheap Charlie.A lot of people on forums are only trying to help which is great,but ,the help offered comes from limited knowledge and can be dangerous.They remember what happened to a mate,or something read on a forum somewhere or some tit bit they saw on Youtube and they offer that information up in the best of intentions, and it is wrong.

I had a customer call me last week with a non starting issue,he was adamant the s/motor had died and could I order in a new one.He refused my offer to attend site and diagnose the fault,he just wanted me to come and replace the s/motor.when I arrived on site the next morning with his freshly ordered in s/motor as requested I found the battery had a dead cell but the s/motor was good.

So if you want fishing advise go to a fishing site like this one,if you want mechanical advise go to a mechanic-not a fisherman.

I agree with Cheap Charlie.A lot of people on forums are only trying to help which is great,but ,the help offered comes from limited knowledge and can be dangerous.They remember what happened to a mate,or something read on a forum somewhere or some tit bit they saw on Youtube and they offer that information up in the best of intentions, and it is wrong.

I had a customer call me last week with a non starting issue,he was adamant the s/motor had died and could I order in a new one.He refused my offer to attend site and diagnose the fault,he just wanted me to come and replace the s/motor.when I arrived on site the next morning with his freshly ordered in s/motor as requested I found the battery had a dead cell but the s/motor was good.

So if you want fishing advise go to a fishing site like this one,if you want mechanical advise go to a mechanic-not a fisherman.

Well Said.