Pittwater Buzz Kill

jacobaflak

A mate and I booked a Runner Boat from Barrenjoey Boat Hire (great lads!)

We planned to fish from 7am with a 4 hour booking.

"The Kings are biting" is all iv'e been hearing lately & Iv'e never caught one. Personal Opinion, but that's my trophy fish.

We rocked up at about 6:45. Signed the paper work & Started to load onto the Boat. Standing on the pier, i could see Kingfish casually hanging out & thats when i knew i was up for a great day! (How wrong i was :nono: )

We got onto the boat, heading towards the Moorings At Clareville. My mate realised that his line was really loose, and had nothing to do with the drag. Looking closely, the line itself was loose so he pulled all of the line off, creating chaos! Tangles upon tangles. A lot went wrong, but for a 7am booking, we didn't get to cast before 8:30am. He felt really bad, and it wasn't intentional so i didn't care about that

As we headed towards Clareville, we didn't bother checking our maps and thought we had arrived (How wrong i was :nono: ). It was our first time in the area so i was working with the rough map that i had in mind. We were actually fishing around Palm Beach Ferry Wharf for an hour, to realise we were in the wrong spot!!!!

We then headed to Clareville and fished from there. I Was targeting the Kings and my mate was targeting anything that bites. No luck, what so ever. I was working with a 3/0 Jig Head, whole fresh squid & Flick bait (Alternating).. Still no luck. We decided to follow the sea gulls and they seemed to have no clue either lol

We moved closer towards the rocks and houses, and finally some action started to take place. My stubborn self was only targeting the Kings, but my mate had pulled in a few snapper throwbacks.

Suddenly he was on again, all of a sudden the Rod bent like crazy. He labelled what ever was on there as a lazy fish. It was really heavy, but no fight. We could not see any colour, but from nowhere this MONSTER (and when i say monster, i'm talking about the shit that you see crazy anglers catching on the Discovery Channel, in 3rd world countries) rose to the surface. It all happened to quick, but it splashed like crazy which ruined our sights as to what it was. My mate said Flat head, but the girth on this thing was way too round to be a flathead. Possibly a cat fish? Anyway, what ever this 30+kg looking beast was, spat out the baby snapper which was hooked to his line. The one that got away!!

Kept trying our luck, and even extended our booking to 3pm. Tried different locations with a range of baits and methods and it wasn't to be.

Perhaps one of my most frustrating days yet! PS. we were trolling with a skirt between different locations.

I wouldn't take this to heart, as i still think Pittwater would produce (Especially with the Barrenjoey Boat House owners saying that their customers have been catching

It was painful being awake from 4am for a nothing day, but that's fishing !

Hopefully i can land one next time :)

I'm guessing from what you described, maybe a wobbygong shark??? Similar to a catfish and/or flathead but at 30kg wouldn't be either. With no real fight, that's my guess! Just a dead weight!

Unlucky on your target mate but good on you for sticking to your guns and having a go! Keep researching and persevering and you will get your rewards!

Cheers scratchie!!!