Marine Rescue

sydney south

Just putting this out there to enquire if my thinking is along the same lines as others.

I will preface my post, by first mentioning, that I have been fortunate enough to never having need a tow back to a ramp with a breakdown or failure of sorts and will not mention the location, so as to identify and Marine Rescue crew members.

I saw a boat on the weekend, that was being towed by marine rescue. This was not in a conventional style, but the boat being assisted was strapped to the side of the marine rescue vessel. They seemed to have been navigated for some distance and where I saw them, they still had a way to go. This I thought was strange and damage to either vessel could occur. Not to mention crowding what are generally narrow channels in the area - Would a conventional tow have been better? - In my opinion yes!

Anyway, not trying to bag Marine Rescue (Always give them $20.00, when I see them at the boat ramps), but more asking Why they would tow this way?

Having never required their assistance, as mentioned. What would be the general consensus on a suitable donation, if you require there assistance.

Inshore $ ?

Offshore $ ?

Thanks

Welcome your opinion.

In my opinion, if I needed to be resqued I wouldn't hesitate to give them a few hundred, being the fact that if you didn't get resqued there is a possibility that you could pay the ultimate price and lose your life... Any amount of money is irrelevant in that case..

Look after them fellas you never know when you will need them...

Ive had good luck so far and fortunately never had to use them..

Edited by Onemancrew

Unfortunately I've had to use them once. These guys are absolute life savers and I honestly couldn't have been happier to see them.

I gave them $150 for an inshore 2km tow back to the ramp . It was all I had on me.

But they really looked after us. Absolute champions these guys

Guest Aussie007

when u renew your license a % of the fee goes to marine rescue so everyone with a boat license is making a donation each year

ive seen marine rescue in botany bay on a number of times towing a boat doing around 35-40kph just crazy :o if i ever need there help i will tell them to take it easy :lol:

Hi guys.

I am with marine rescue and we use several different approaches to towing. The general rule of thumb is the long and short tow, this is where we tow a vessel from its bow to our stern and its generally used for long distance. The lashing of two vessels side by side comes into use when the towed vessel for what ever reason cannot be steered by the master and finesse is required either navigate a tight water way (generally a Pan Pan will be called on 16 to let the boating public in the area know we are navigating with difficulty) or the weather makes it too difficult place a vessel alongside a wharf, dock or mooring.

We sometimes in calm conditions try different types of tow methods for our own training in the event of needing to use it in inclement weather.

As a member of Marine Rescue its great to help out the boating public but we do struggle with funding as we are all volunteers and we raise money to keep our boats on the water. The govt does give us some funding but to be honest its nothing compared to what our true costs are. We essentially buy our boats, buy fuel, service the boats, and buy any equipment as directed by head office but we have to come up with the cash.

Anyway, next time you see us on the water give us a wave hello and if we end up helping you out a couple of dollars helps us with fuel or parts for the vessels.

Jimmy.

when u renew your license a % of the fee goes to marine rescue so everyone with a boat license is making a donation each year

ive seen marine rescue in botany bay on a number of times towing a boat doing around 35-40kph just crazy :o if i ever need there help i will tell them to take it easy :lol:

And yes towing at 35-40kph is crazy generally not rule of thumb, maybe the owner was wanting to get home in a hurry as he hadn't told the missus he was going fishing!

Jimmy

Hi guys.

I am with marine rescue and we use several different approaches to towing. The general rule of thumb is the long and short tow, this is where we tow a vessel from its bow to our stern and its generally used for long distance. The lashing of two vessels side by side comes into use when the towed vessel for what ever reason cannot be steered by the master and finesse is required either navigate a tight water way (generally a Pan Pan will be called on 16 to let the boating public in the area know we are navigating with difficulty) or the weather makes it too difficult place a vessel alongside a wharf, dock or mooring.

We sometimes in calm conditions try different types of tow methods for our own training in the event of needing to use it in inclement weather.

As a member of Marine Rescue its great to help out the boating public but we do struggle with funding as we are all volunteers and we raise money to keep our boats on the water. The govt does give us some funding but to be honest its nothing compared to what our true costs are. We essentially buy our boats, buy fuel, service the boats, and buy any equipment as directed by head office but we have to come up with the cash.

Anyway, next time you see us on the water give us a wave hello and if we end up helping you out a couple of dollars helps us with fuel or parts for the vessels.

Jimmy.

Jimmy,

Thanks so much for your reply- Explains a lot.

As another way to help you can register your boat with Marine Rescue. Everyone has probably heard the dragged out conversations as a boat tries to log on and pass all their details over the radio. When I bought my boat about 18 months ago I registered all my detail with VMR Sydney and sent them a photo of the boat. It cost $100 for 3 years from memory and I received a rego number starting with SY and 3 digits. Now when I log on they can bring up all details including phone numbers and on shore contacts and all I need to add is number on board and ETA making the process much smoother and simpler and in the event of a search they have a photo of the boat on record. We all hope that none of this will every be necessary just like lifejackets and buying an EPIRB but the day you do need help you will be thankful for going to the extra effort.

Firstly- marine rescue are gold!

Just quickly, was stranded one time due to a flat battery with all 4 kids on board. The came and towed me back to the dock. I asked them the cost and was told they only receive donations. I looked in my wallet and had only $5 in there. I promised to pledge a donation online and they were happy with that. The next day I was at the boat show and they were there handing out blow up rings for the kids for a gold coin donation. I gave each kid $50 for a ring each. The bloke says to me, that's way too much. I said to him, it wouldn't have been yesterday! It's called karma, and those guys do a terrific job!

Cheers scratchie!!!

This boating malarkey is a bit new to me. I got my boat licence a few weeks ago via an all day course led by a marine rescue voulenteer. The course basics were sound but what really added value was the above and beyond advice from someone who spends thier spare time voulenteering to save boaters lives. I.e. the law says x but also do y.

Ive the greatest respect for a self supporting emergency service and will certinaly be stepping up when I see the donation box

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What an excellent thread this is! Thanks Jimmy for your explanation. When we have our fishraider socials we normally pass the hat around and give a big donation.

When is the next social? And are all invited?

Could not agree more that the service deserves the backing of all fishos and boat owners.

As part of my (semi) retirement plans I discussed joining the service with the Commander of the Ulladulla branch who was very helpful. As a result I have since forwarded a request to learn more about joining. The head office of the service is at the old Fisheries site in Cronulla which is less than 1Km from my home so too easy to take part at short notice.

I will let you know what happens next.

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by Paikea

I gave them $150 for an inshore 2km tow back to the ramp . It was all I had on me.

I gave a stranded bloke a tow back to the ramp once after he had asked me. Strained my engine and gave up 1 hour of my fishing time as well to do so. Not that I would have accepted it, but he never offered me anything. I think next time Ill tell em' to call up the marine rescue and Im going fishing :D ....

I once got a tow from Marley back to Gunnamatta Bay. The guy would not take any money but was more than happy to accept a few top lures.

Reminds me of the time that I assisted a car full of Japanese tourist and their Australian host who were stuck in a creek crossing at the back of Ulladulla. He had managed to straddle a rock that lifted his offside rear wheel of the crossing. Pitch dark, miles from anywhere on a fire trail road they were in for a long night if I had not come across the Driver/host walking to Milton some 2 klicks from the car and 20 to go to Milton without a torch.

Funny part was when I drove him back to his car sitting in the middle of the crossing with water up to the door sills his Japanese guests looked into the headlights of my car and looking Sh$% scared yelled out "harro harro" They must have thought that they were in dire straits from the stranger pointing his lights at them. As I did not have a snatch strap on board I drove them back to Milton.

Imagine my surprise when the driver/host arrived at my office a week later (we exchanged cards) and dropped of two bottles of fine wine.

It's nice to be nice.

Cheers

Paikea

As another way to help you can register your boat with Marine Rescue. Everyone has probably heard the dragged out conversations as a boat tries to log on and pass all their details over the radio.

Silly question, but do the different Marine Rescue locations have a shared database? I'm registered with Shoalhaven, but if I login somewhere else in NSW, will they have my details?

Hi.. yes each unit has there own database and the money you pay for the service goes to the unit as fundraising. The information collected is then passed to a central database for regional bases to use, ie..sydney (Terry Hills), Port Stephens, Jervis base etc..

This will be changing soon to a smart phone based app where you can subscribe and login and logoff via the app itself. We will be able to geo locate you via your phone if there are issues . We are currently completing some custom changes to ensure it collects the correct information when users start using it. Hopefully it will be ready before next summer.

We still will have manned radio basis for those without smart phones/devices and will also roll the current individual unit boaters information to one system. Good point is all information will be in one spot, bad point is the units will loose the money that is raised from the service.

Hope this helps

Jimmy.

Hi guys.

Jimmy,

I think you should issue a "sercuite" message as a vessel in tow is more of a Nav Warning, not a urgency message. A "Pan Pan" is a urgency message and is generally used for an emergency situation where there is no immediate threat to life or the vessel. You issue the sercuite announcement on 16 then change to a working channel for the actual message.

Towing alongside is a normal practice and is generally referred to as "hipping up" and is used a mention above when there is no or limited steerage, in confined waters, heavy traffic or for manoeuvring.

Keep up the good work!