Botany Bay kings everywhere.

col35

Hit Botany bay today with the intent to catch squid till sunrise. woke up late, started fishing for squid on sunrise, luckily we managed 6 squid within 15 minutes of the first jig hitting the water. These squid were extremely aggressive.

Sticking to our plan we started trolling our lures, wind blowing SSE 10-12 knots so decided to troll rapala x-raps up and down the south headland plenty of showing on the sounder but no takers. Decided to head across to bare island after making our way up and down the south headland. Headed just past the green buoy all of a sudden the x-rap deep diver (dives 6 meters) buckles over check the sounder SHITE!! 7 meters of water so automatically assume its a snag on a pinnacle or something so lock up the drag and try to break off the line (40lb main with 30lb leader) Turns out to be a fish(hoodlum) and absolutely smokes us (remember drag locked up) ran 20 meters and broke off. 1. xrap gone.

Whilst preparing the rods and still trying to come to terms with the size of the fish that could have done that damage. All of a sudden fish start boiling up within 30meters of us all around, but with the chop hard to pinpoint where the main part of the school is. Decide to start trolling again catching salmon and tailors. With birds on top of us always following the school which is a great indicator. All of a sudden one of the shallow divers (xrap) takes off. "This has got some weight to it" came in quite easy got close to the boat saw a nice kingie around 80-85cm, as soon as we see him he sees us he explodes down to the reef 6 meters below............ another x rap gone. Down to one more x-rap, another shallow diver trolling ( using the birds to find the school) troll straight through, my salina 3, 5000 absolutely screams off. Now im determined not to meet the same fate as my dad.

Bring the kingie in same sort of story came in with a little fight not what you would expect from an 80cm king fighting with light drag the closer it got the harder it fought it sees the boat same thing, trys to explode down but i made sure it wasnt turning around and reefing me after another perilous fight, with this king just trying to charge down to the reef. After some issues netting it a nice 83cm king lands aboard. What a fish to christen the reel with.

Went to Watts Reef anchored up caught 2 bream 28cm and 27cm. Decided to head home with our catch 2 bream 2 squid and 1 kingie

IT's all on video

Edited by crazy col

Nice King mate but from the look of the video, you were right on top of the Bare island bommie. Just as well there wasn't much swell or the kings would have been on the surface while you were on the bottom.

Good king. They bigger ones love to reef you.

It always seems to be the way with me, you catch the smaller kings on heavy line and the larger kings on light line. lost a lot of knife jigs

this year so will fish with heavy gear for a while until I nail a bigger fish.

Hey crazy col, excited to hear the quality kings are in the bay!! Well done on your awesome catch!!

Just wondering if u picked up the squid in yarra bay?

Cheers john

kurnell near the monument john

Well done Col and Theson. always good to blood a new reel with a decent fish . Legal kings are Xraps..marvelous effort that.

yeah it was great to get a king on the salina it performed great, And watching the rods buckle over whilst trolling looked awesome also, just a shame we didn't have the go pro :( the only time we didn't have it.

Man i would have loved to get a king closer to the size you guys always catch

Nice King mate but from the look of the video, you were right on top of the Bare island bommie. Just as well there wasn't much swell or the kings would have been on the surface while you were on the bottom.

we were on both the bottom and the top. X-rap slash bait 2-4ft and the x rap deep diver 6metres

Kingie also caught on 20lb braid with a 25lb leader

Edited by the son

Col were using braid when you were getting reefed?

40lb braid and a 60lb mono leader Brian, it was the leader that gave way it was all frayed and roughed up from rubbing on the reef i guess , ill be using stronger gear next time. im hoping next sunday fingers crossed on the weather

Well done!

The bay has been frustrating lately (for me anyway!),glad to see a result!

That'll get us all fired up!

Cheers.

I completely know what you mean motohead it is frustrating. I find it impossible to produce fish in the bay if you just target one species. Target a few species, bream, flatty, Silver trevs even kings find out which species is the go on the day and go from there.