Does anybody write fishing reports when you don't catch anything?

UnderFisher

I think I'm one of the lucky ones. I've alway caught ssomething even a cold :P I actually have gone out caught fish but was too lazy to post or couldn't be bothered.

Edited by Groper

We should have a poll on it!

Maybe something like, roughly how successful are you?

20% of outings

50% of outings

80%+ of outings

I like this idea but it really depends. I am probably less than 20% if I throw all my eggs in one basket and put out the big baits and gear in the hope of a jewie or other trophy fish. Oops... I mean 0%

I think I could be 80% if I just wanted to go out and get a feed.

Also, do you count the times you just want to be on the water with no care for conditions/tides/bait etc cause I often throw a line out just in case!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends what you mean by "successful". If it means catching a target species, I think the success rate would be low across the board. What do they say? 10% of anglers catch 90% of the fish.

If, on the other hand you're a member of "the cast and hope" brigade, the success rate would be marginally higher. Me? I reckon I'm lucky to catch anything 5% of the time. My wife thinks I'm probably up to no good because I rarely come home with a catch. And I'm counting undersized scrappers in that lot.

However, I did go out Saturday afternoon in miserable weather and took home 3 nice arrow squid. But it took 5 or so outings to finally hook up. So I guess the moral of the story is keep persisting.

Did not post from last weeks outing, as the only 2 legal fish were tailor. Dropped another beside the boat, and released 3 jewies and a kingie.

The jewies were up to 67cm long, (could not stretch it out to 70), and the kingie under as well.

(still think the 70cm limit for jewies is too much. 60cm and 1 or 2 fish limit would have been better. Others may disagree with me, but I don't give a rats a*#^ about that)

:sun: I enjoy reading all posts dealing with fishing trips. (and other topics) Including ones where nothing was caught but the author has provided details that we can all identify with. Such as; rain, wet bum, missus cranky, stale bait, wrong tide, right tide but wrong place, boat played up, deckie didn't show, "deckie" spewed all over the boat, hate jet skis, nearly run over by a big cruiser driven by a nong, getting bait, ramp jockeys holding up the works, big sea, no run.

I could go on and on but you get the drift.

Cheers

Paikea

You catch live squid and you are 90% chance of kings. Without it, scale down that probability! Personally, live squid bait is my real indicator of a successful trip in my books offshore for kings.

In terms of snapper, a big oily berley trail and you will often entice some fine reds. Again, fresh baits can be the X FACTOR.

In terms of soft plastics, well your variability's are not fresh bait (obviously), but the drift speed/wind and ocean currents. To allow you to the fish the strike zone etc. Especially when deep water snappering around the 50-60m marks! Wind and current play a huge role!

Edited by THE BUTCH

So, this topic has made me feel a bit better... Its now unusual for me not to bring home a feed, not a huge feed but enough for 2. However, it took many many outings to learn where/ when/ bait etc and a whole lot of persistence - and that is simply to get some flatties and the odd bream and that means going out 2x per week usually.

Im just starting to turn my attention to Kingfish and that'll take me a few years to get consistent, Im sure, then it maybe jew... or back to flattie or even a marlin... who knows.

The best part about fishing is that there is ALWAYS a challenge of some sort - if it were easy every time, I reckon it'd loose a lot of it's appeal.

When i was fishing for "anything" you know the type of fishing.... Pillie tails or prawns on a standard rig, drifting along the bottom i would say i would definitely be in 80 plus category..... Since i have been targeting species like Kingfish, Mullys and big flathead my percentage has dropped by half but man it is so much more satisfying when you pin that "TARGET SPECIES" makes me feel like i know what i am doing sometimes.

I started up in earnest this year (last few years was the odd spot a few times a year with Dad) and have been making a few trips to the harbour. Limited to shore fishing so the opportunities are limited I suppose. Of the maybe 15 times I have been out this year, I have so far got one legal flathead :) Just before that my wife was giving me stick asking "what is it they say about people who keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result?".

I think Paikea has hit the nail on the head. I enjoy reading and posting where I feel there is information or entertainment in the post. It's not just about fish numbers but feedback on experiences situations and technique. That's what makes this feel like a community in my opinion

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Not catching fish can be broken down to so many variables like what has been highlighted by paikea. It is not just based on luck or lack of experience. Ask some of the gamefishing guys. All the experience in the world and can still come home with zeros! It is those bad days that makes us addicted anglers hang to get back out there!

There is merit in posting either a successful or not so successful outing, knowing that the feedback or comments provided on this site, may just hold the key or insipiration to assisting you on your next outing!

My advise to less experienced anglers is you have found the right site to improve your skills. Read and ask questions. Where possible, try and catch up with a fellow raider.

Fishing is a sport that you will never know everything and you are always learning!

But at the end of the day, it's fun trying to work it all out.

Cheers scratchie!!!

yeah, I have done quite a few on here with zeros, we've been lucky for about the last 2 months we always seem to get something, even its just a few small dollies

where you are not catching fish is also good info for other fishermen, it lets them know where not to go

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Hahah thats why they call it ."fishing" and not "catching" reports.

Ive always found if I olan for a particular species I usually catch it b7t when I go for randoms I rarely catch anything ....funny that..

if you aim for nothing....your bound to hit it!

Tight lines!, Shakeel

I only post when I catch stuff and even when I do I don't always post it, if I went for anything It is rare not to come home with at least 1 legal fish for a feed but since I rarely do that and just target kings and this is my first season targeting them I spent a lot if time not catching much, or if anything rats lol, still waiting for that legal to come overboard the boat.

It's the chase that's the fun and when you catch something you have been targeting it makes it all worth it, it's all about trying new things and perfecting others.

I'm overdue for a bread and butter fish but I love just throwing a line in at some spots and getting bites every minute and not knowing what your going to pull up.

I've been out over 20 times since April last year my 14 year old daughter caught a 52cm falttie on Anzac Day last year, I was out 3 weeks ago and took my neighbor he caught a trevally (keeper) apart from yakka I have nothing to show for my efforts in almost 12mths of fishing.

But I still had a great time on every trip out.