Sydney Harbour 15/03

DaveTheBoy

Headed down this morning to a middle harbour wharf for a friendly session & to teach a newbie mate a few of the basics. Probably spent more time untangling line & removing snags than fishing - anyhow managed 15 calamari which made the effort worthwhile. Also floated out one small squid live for the bonito, and kept a couple slimys for bait which were caught by my mate on a handline after his rod/reel privileges were removed for repeated infringements (namely hitting me in the head & hooking my fingers while baiting). Busted off what I thought to be a rat king also on a whole small squid, though it stayed very deep & circled after the first runs. Ended up besting me on the pylons before I got a look at it.

Anyhow fun times & calamari for dinner with a few to spare for the bait freezer.

post-12244-0-85026300-1394850010_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys - I think we've always called any type of squid 'calamari' for ease in our house so apologies for the wrong description. In this catch there was 1 true calamari (wings are obstructed in the pic) and the rest were indeed arrows. Agree they all make great bait & taste excellent on the BBQ also!

Cheers guys - I think we've always called any type of squid 'calamari' for ease in our house so apologies for the wrong description.

Nah mate no need to apologize I was just thinking maybe you didn't know but you do :)

After a bit of poking around there is another type of squid called a Loligo or Hawkesbury Squid that those can possibly be, going by the description I found.

Anyone know their squids?