Disappointed by divers

wish2fish

Hi raiders, took my young fella outside the heads for the first time on Sunday 23rd. I had a good day on kings last time I was at longy so decided to head back there for my son to have a chance at catching some. It wasn't an early start and it took some convincing to get the boy to agree to go offshore. I get to longy around midday and was disappointed when I saw 4 boats bearing the diving flag. They were anchored right where I had marked the last time I was there. I tried a few other spots but couldn't mark anything on the sounder. So now I'm wondering if there is a forum or website that might have information about when and where divers are going to be around so I can avoid the area. No hard feelings to the divers as they have the right to be there too. I just would like to plan my day around them.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least these guys had blue flags and were there first.

Last week at Longy a few of us were anchored up at the wall and a black rib boat came through , no flag , 3 or 4 spearos fishing within 2 metres of boats fishing. One guy asked them where their flag was and he was told to #### off. And the boat left the divers on their own for long periods.

Totally unacceptable :ranting2: .Bloody dangerous too as more boats were arriving and may have run over them.

We are not allowed to be within 60m of divers if I am correct?

Its a big ocean, lots of room to share, but fare go!!! that made me angry.

Dave

I had the same thing happen once at sow and pigs reef. There was about 20 boats fishing side by side and these spearos decided to swim into the reef. 20 boat loads of anglers were shouting out abuse and they didn't care.

If we have to stay 60m away from them, then they should stay 60m away from us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewy spoke to the Snr Const at The Marine Area Command at Balmain - SEE BELOW

The Maritime Boating Handbook states the following in relation to Diving activities;

'The diver's flag - white and blue no less than 400mm x 400mm in size and rigid - must be shown when people are engaged in diving or snorkelling actvities from a vessel. It is to be flown in a vertical position 1m above the superstructure and visible through 360 degrees. If this flag is flown off a float/bouy, it must be at least 2m above the water level. It is recommended that this flag be shown when diving/snorkelling from shore'. Therefore a diver is committing an offence if they fail to display a dive flag when being dropped from a vessel.

In the instance where divers are so close to vessels that they impede their safe navigation, they may be committing an offence under S17 of the Marine Safety Regulation.

He advised that if the situation arises again then the matter be reported to the Water Police or Maritime at the time so they can investigate the matter.

Call on 1800 658 784 to report the incident.

I dont think you are going to find a web site where spear fishermen are going to log on and post on what location they are going to be at unless its a comp.

On the other hand...they would want a list of places where rod and line fishermen are going to be as well.

Stupid, Inconsiderate and arrogant people are just that.

People at the boat ramp that don't want to wait their turn, having a boat troll thru your lovely burley trail while floater baiting for Yellowfin, fishing at a spot (wharf or rocks) when you walk a fish over to your bag to have someone jump into the spot you were just fishing, spinning into a school of fish and someone trolls thru the school, Anchoring up to a spot when a Commercial boat of bubblies turn up and anchor within a few metres, Oh and don't let me start on the FADs.

Fisherman, Spearos, Scuba divers. The Stupid, Inconsiderate and Arrogant wreck it for every one. :mad3:

And thats my RANT for the day.

Stupid, Inconsiderate and arrogant people are just that.

People at the boat ramp that don't want to wait their turn, having a boat troll thru your lovely burley trail while floater baiting for Yellowfin, fishing at a spot (wharf or rocks) when you walk a fish over to your bag to have someone jump into the spot you were just fishing, spinning into a school of fish and someone trolls thru the school, Anchoring up to a spot when a Commercial boat of bubblies turn up and anchor within a few metres, Oh and don't let me start on the FADs.

Fisherman, Spearos, Scuba divers. The Stupid, Inconsiderate and Arrogant wreck it for every one. :mad3:

And thats my RANT for the day.

Glad you got that off your chest blackfish!

Hope you can enjoy your next fishing outing without any of those distractions!

Cheers scratchie!!!

If this flag is flown off a float/bouy, it must be at least 2m above the water level.

Yeah right. I've never seen this done. Its always displayed just on the water level above a float. The amount of times I have come across divers that I didn't notice until I was basically on top of them then felt bad because I didn't notice the flag earlier and stayed away. Don't they realise in choppy water we cannot see the flag like this until its too late?