Port stephens- knowing when too laugh!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

With the perfect weather port has offered this week fellow raider dom and I decided to get an early start at 530 and head to seal rocks. The plan was to grab a few cuttlefish at shoal bay (for snapper) which we did, then head to bait station to collect some livies. We stop at bait station burley up and there were livies everywhere. We didn't won't to waste to much time and I proceed to grab a few on a single hook rig. Dom had his 3 hook sabiki and wasnt getting touched. We did 2 quick drifts, I grabbed a few but dom nothing. He was a bit perplexed. I suggested he add some bait to the hooks, he wound in, went to attach bait and there were no hooks. He had been fishing the last 20mins on a jig with no hooks. I think the laughter from us both scared the livies away so we headed north.

post-24974-0-16861900-1398374220_thumb.jpg

On arrival, we were greeted with beautiful water, no swell and a perfect drift. I started first throwing a stick bait and 3rd cast bang I'm on, the sustain screaming and hoping for an early king but after a short fight up comes a 70cm+ dolly. Ten minutes later dom was throwing poppers and I could here the take from the other side of the boat, whoosh and zzzzzzzzzzz. Now this was a king and a meter plus for sure, our target!

Dom plays the fish well and gets it under the boat and pop!!! The leader has snapped and with it one of his favourite poppers. We were both devastated but composed ourselves and kept throwing. Unfortunately, the surface action died down and we changed tact to live baiting and throwing SP's.

We did many drifts with not a great deal of action but enough to keep us interested and we were both just amazed at what you see on the water.

We had a whale swim by, the biggest turtle I've ever seen( it looked like a small island) penguins, dolphins, garfish the size of a cricket bat and then the RAAF do a fly by on us!

Anyway, we stuck to our plan throwing SP's and then the sound we wanted to hear, doms baitrunner zooming off and he's on!!! After a very spirited fight and us calling the fish for many different species, we land a very respectable 77cm and 6.5kg Mack tuna!

post-24974-0-36338700-1398375425_thumb.jpg

He then pulled this beautiful little king that he was embarrassed to have his photo taken with, so I thought I'd show you!

post-24974-0-07754700-1398375693_thumb.jpg

Now, the decision was made to pull stumps and head for home. This is where I wasn't sure to laugh or not. After doms entertaining sabiki rig, dropped fish and many laughs along the way, he turns to me and says, I'm not sure if we are going to make it back with the amount of fuel I have. Ummmm, we are some 50km from port and haven't seen a boat all day and the sun now fading we start the journey. We make it close to yaccaba headland and the gauge is reading 0 percent fuel. We round the corner and with anxiety levels at their highest we push on and are greeted by an amazing sunset but we still have a kilometer to go.

With all our anxious moments today, knowing when to laugh can sometimes be hard but on this occasion, we found our time!!!

post-24974-0-81085400-1398376462_thumb.jpg

All in all, another magic day on the water with a good mate and a few laughs! Sometimes the fish are just a bonus!

Thanks for reading.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Glad I could entertain you great man!!

I have heard this saying before 'All the gear and know idea'! Mate we stuck to our plan and spent a great day up at Seal Rocks. That place is amazing and we certainly didn't have big enough gear to stop those kings. Petrol was never in doubt with the Etec mate haha. Glad I could get you home safely. Appreciate all you do on this site you have certainly taught me a great deal, even how not to use a sabiki!!

Glad I could entertain you great man!!

I have heard this saying before 'All the gear and know idea'! Mate we stuck to our plan and spent a great day up at Seal Rocks. That place is amazing and we certainly didn't have big enough gear to stop those kings. Petrol was never in doubt with the Etec mate haha. Glad I could get you home safely. Appreciate all you do on this site you have certainly taught me a great deal, even how not to use a sabiki!!

Lol, it was very entertaining. But your right, seal rocks is amazing, everything seemed to be super sized, even the bait. To be fair, I think we've both learnt a lot from our past few trips!

Your boat is, as my kids would say...fully sic!

It was a pleasure champ!

Mate that sounds very event filled. I'm not sure what to giggle at the most, fishing without hooks, finding a metre plus king on light snapper gear or travelling that far using an oily rag for fuel hehehe. Either way it sounds like heaps of fun and I wish I could have been there. With my chunky butt on board though you would have run out of fuel on the way out there me thinketh hehehe. I have to say though that that mack tuna is a decent specimen. How big do they get?

Mate that sounds very event filled. I'm not sure what to giggle at the most, fishing without hooks, finding a metre plus king on light snapper gear or travelling that far using an oily rag for fuel hehehe. Either way it sounds like heaps of fun and I wish I could have been there. With my chunky butt on board though you would have run out of fuel on the way out there me thinketh hehehe. I have to say though that that mack tuna is a decent specimen. How big do they get?

Cheers luc. Not sure how big they get but the raider record is 85cm, so it's not far off, it would second! We were hoping it was a longtail considering the amount of them around ATM. But the Mack bars gave it away!

Haha nice day out scratchie. Good read, glad the humour could be seen throughout the day! Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A good read there Scratchie, with some fish caught as well.

A good day out and a good report Scratchie. Well done.

Thanks guys, it was a great day out. Glad you enjoyed the read.