Tough day in the office!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Just a quick report from port stephens. Started out at 6am on a much anticipated trip with fellow raider dom. The plan was to load up with livies and head to almark. Well, this is where the tough day started. We struggled to get them, in fact it took us about an hour to get 12 yakkas. Then we set out for the long drive there. Throughout the whole way we did not see a whale, dolphin, bird, baitfish, nothing! Arrived to see we were the only boat there. We dropped live baits, jigs and fresh squid for not even a touch. We were there an hour either side of the tide change, nothing but disappointment. So we headed back to broughton island and fish about 5 usually productive marks for zip! By now time was against us so we tried drifting one last spot. Dom was throwing sp's and was fishing bait with a livie in tow, needless to say we wasted time trying to catch them, I only needed one! Anyway, in the last hour of light dom casts out and comes up tight, finally a nice pan snapper! Right time to tie up an sp, while I was doing this dom was on again to a decent one this time and net required! For the next hour we managed 4 keepers and at least a feed but it was a tough day in the office!

Back at the ramp we run in to the gurus from the local tackle store and they had been out since lunch and didn't turn a reel all day! But for 12hrs fishing, hmmmm very quiet!

Thanks for the day dom, your a legend!

post-24974-0-03384000-1436089145_thumb.jpg

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest 4myson

Tuff day alright , but at least you guys got out there . Looks like you guys were expecting a HUGE haul by the amount of ice bags (looks like you have more ice bags than fish ) "LOL ".. Still , Good on ya Scratchie & Dom ....at least your eating fresh snapper tonight !!

Edited by 4myson

Tuff day alright , but at least you guys got out there . Looks like you guys were expecting a HUGE haul by the amount of ice bags (looks like you have more ice bags than fish ) "LOL ".. Still , Good on ya Scratchie & Dom ....at least your eating fresh snapper tonight !!

Thanks mate! Yes, we were expecting a bit more than what we got. Almark is a long long way to go for nothing. Normally you can guarantee a good king or snapper there but not today!

Guest no one

I think so! Oh well, that means I'll have to go out again next weekend! :) and the one after that (social)

I'm in NZ from Thursday til Monday... I'll be chasing those real kings! Social is still a go providing I get my electrics fixed this week!

hi scracthie

How far is the almark from port

Ive heard it usualy a good spot for winter kings and the odd tuna, might have to bring the boat up for a weekend to try it out.

Hey Gerry! It's 35nm N/E from the heads. It generally does produce solid kings and bar cod. Just not yesterday :(

A few reddies are better than nothing. Looks as though the fish are going on holidays.

Cheers yowie! 2 of them were good fish the smallest was 35cm. Boy did it save our trip getting them! I've been told the fish should fire back up on Wednesday. Something to do with the moon phases.