Fishing Line

damariboyz

I have just purchased some Braid :1yikes: as you all know it is $$$ so what would you suggest as the closest alternative in a monofilament. I have always used Maxima and have never had a real drama but I am interested in your views. I intend to use the mono in the 2kg and 15kg range. Also I have read that mono is useless with sp's is this true or a slight exageration.

Thanks Russ :biggrin2:

I've always used Penn 10X when fishing with mono. :biggrin2:

As for using mono and SP's, you will find that there are quite a few anglers using mono instead of braid.

One of my mates in particular uses flouro green mono straight through to the jig head for all his fishing, SP and HB, and it doesn't seem to pose a problem. :wacko:

cheers

Hooky

I would go with braid for sps mate you can feel the bottom better and you can feel a hit when it comes if your using braid for spinning sps you really only need to put 60 or 70 meters on top of your mono depending on how far your casting.

The other great thing about braid is its easy to pluck sps off snags and its breaking strain is underated so you can put some serious pressure on bigger fish when they come along :thumbup:

Ps

Dont over fill your spool with Braid it will end in tears :1crybaby:

Edited by Sharky

My favorite mono in the 5 kg plus bracket is Tortue.

64769[/snapback]

Likewise Ken. I use it exclusively for my 2, 3 and 4kg outfits. For 8 to 15kg i like Hawk (pink) for eggies and Momoi for overheads.

Red

I use Platypus platinum or Ande/Hawk for 15 & 24kg spin work without any problems. For lower line classes I like Platypus pink and have found it best for spinning with my abu overhead.

I use Platil braid on overheads as backing and prefer fireline on my spin reels.

Without a doubt Black Magic for 10kg onwards.

It had great knot strength, its low stretch and hase excellent abraision resistance

Even after getting split down the centre on a rock ledge, it still managed to land a 20kg king. What the line looked like after landing the fish :

post-192-1125481767_thumb.jpg

This topic has been done to death but anyways I use Ande or Hawk in pink for pretty much everything. I also use it in green and clear too. I have the odd reel spooled with maxima, tortue and stren but ande/hawk tends to be my favourite.