Portable freezers

VViCKiD

Hi guys,

I hate paying $25 for ice every time I head out on a boat. Just wondering if any one uses a portable freezer to make ice over night?

Are these things even capable of doing that?

Massive thx in advance

could you get a chest freeze and a load of ice trays and make your own?

My local place has a ice vending machine which charges $2:99 a bag

or you put you esky under the shoot and it fills it up (depending how

big it is and how many beers you have in it) for you for the same price.

Edited by antonywardle

Wow! 2.99 for a full esky! That's awesome.

Yeh I'm in 2 minds as to weather I want a chest freezer or a portable freezer. The advantage of the portable being lower power consumption and the ability to take it camping and BBQs etc

I just don't know if it has the grunt to do what I want

Edited by VViCKiD

Hi guys,

I hate paying $25 for ice every time I head out on a boat. Just wondering if any one uses a portable freezer to make ice over night?

Are these things even capable of doing that?

$25 !!! Bags of ice are normally well under $5.00 / bag. Do you take 5 or more bags on an outing??

There are quite a few options available. Check out the camping & caravan places , they sell a variety of portable freezers which can operate on either 12V , 24V or 240V

Waeco & Engle come to mind but there are several others. Waeco claim their freezer will cool down to minus 30 degrees but not sure how long that takes. They can cost up to $600 which is a lot of money just for ice.

If you are buying around 5 bags / trip these small portable would not , from a size aspect , be capable to provide that much ice

I have a small freezer in the garage just for bait & ice. Buy 6 or so ice cube containers & have them frozen for your next trip. Also , plastic drink bottles filled with water & into the freezer is another cheap option but leave some ullage to allow space for expansion as the water freezers.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Yeh I wasnt certain that these portable freezers had the grunt to freeze ice.

I'm planning to buy a small second hand freezer I can leave in the garage for the same purpose.

Something maybe with 100L capacity.

I buy my ice at the servo and normally would head out with 5 or 6 bags.

I'm planning to fill drink bottles with salt water and freeze them (they take longer to freeze)

Little chest freezes are good.

When you open them, the cold air doesn't fall out

so they are a bit cheaper to run.

The only downside is that usually the thing

that you are after is right down the bottom ;-)

I'd stay with fresh frozen water not ice so

that if you have a problem, you've got something

to drink.

Edited by antonywardle