Side drag in the surf

Holls

Hi everyone, I'm new to south coast NSW having come up from west coast Victoria. Down there you get huge rips and powerful side currents which means we use a paternose rig with a 6 oz star on the bottom that can bury itself in the sand. Up here there doesn't seem to be such a problem, is that right? I've read on this forum of people using a ball sinker off the beach in channels??? Or live bait and no lead at all?? Any thoughts?

Last night I had both. Up to the high tide it was running down the beach fairly heavily and a ball sinker did nothing to stop the large fillets being dragged away. I switched to a star sinker for a while but at the top of the tide the side run stopped and there was no issue keeping the bait in front of me.

It reminder me I should really premake some more paternoster rigs to switch over more easily, not yet proficient with enough knots to make some rigs in the dark while I don't have a line in the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate every beach is different. You just have to take a look to see what is happening and set your rigs accordingly.

Fair enough, thanks, and to Sgt. Still waiting to take possession of our new Kings Point place so looking forward to both lake and beach fishing. On the west coast vic, the roughest days seem to fish the best, but most days there are BIG currents and sometimes heaps of loose kelp. LOVE the look of the water off Ulladulla. Can't wait to put in some reports!

Hi everyone, I'm new to south coast NSW having come up from west coast Victoria. Down there you get huge rips and powerful side currents which means we use a paternose rig with a 6 oz star on the bottom that can bury itself in the sand. Up here there doesn't seem to be such a problem, is that right? I've read on this forum of people using a ball sinker off the beach in channels??? Or live bait and no lead at all?? Any thoughts?

All depends where you are . Theres beaches down your way that Is truggle to hold the bottom with 9oz break away sinkers 6oz stars end up back on the beach in 10 minutes. Others I can fish with 3 & 4oz sinkers .

If your in a good gutter I normally run livebaits with no sinker, also depends on ho many other people are around too, other wise it ends up a mess

All depends where you are . Theres beaches down your way that Is truggle to hold the bottom with 9oz break away sinkers 6oz stars end up back on the beach in 10 minutes. Others I can fish with 3 & 4oz sinkers .

If your in a good gutter I normally run livebaits with no sinker, also depends on ho many other people are around too, other wise it ends up a mess

Thanks. I look forward to learning more about south coast beaches by actually fishing them!

Hi,

When fishing beach gutters I often like to use enough lead to allow side drift and follow the drift along the gutter. I don't get to fish surf beaches often. This is just my 2 cents worth.

Kram

Kram..

Welcome Holls. It won't be long before you get among them. Just find the gutters, berley (small amounts, regularly), use the same rigs and you'll catch a variety of fish. Good luck, mate. Neil.

Thanks for the advice! "Trout Cod Record", wow. You must be among the few who have even seen one in the flesh.