Where are the hairtail in Sydney Harbour?

Hey I saw a fishing show today on fox sports and they were catching hairtail in between some moorings, it looked like it was in middle harbour somewhere or maybe near the spit.

Did anyone see it and does anyone know where it is. I'd love to take my dad fishing there and try to get a few. He keeps telling me stories of the big ones he used to catch up the Hawksbury.

Peter

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Hi Peter,

I've heard that hairies are a bit of a random catch in the harbour and they can just turn up but don't tend to hang around in particular spots like hey do in the hawkesbury.. To be fair that's just what I've heard but others on here may know better :)

Reubs

Hi Peter,

I've heard that hairies are a bit of a random catch in the harbour and they can just turn up but don't tend to hang around in particular spots like hey do in the hawkesbury.. To be fair that's just what I've heard but others on here may know better :)

Reubs

i think the spot is 40 baskets in north harbour around manly but they have to be on the bite ive also heard they turn up at the water around taronga zoo

Yeh

I watch an episode of Big Fish Small Boats with Alistair McGlashin and he got heaps of hairtail at taronga zoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah it was a show with Al Mc on Fox, ok I google earthed it, the best matching location I found is Forty Baskets. Its not too far away from Clifton Gardens where I know they do get them sometimes.

i'll give it a go at some stage and let you know how I go

The hole of the end of the wharf at Clifton Gardens is one of the more prodcutive spots for hairtail but as Reubs says its

all pretty random.

no probs, yeah that spot is forty baskets, I go fishing near there with my dad and the kids sometimes, might start archoring the boat in amongst the moorings next time, its worth a shot

Cowan Creek is more consistent, but it can be pretty random there as well, I wonder if the moon phases make a difference

• 4 weeks later...

My boat is out too and I just started Uni through an online course...SO MUCH RAGE!! Busted boat and less time to have fun :(

Hopefully the social produces for those heading to it :)

Reubs

Hair tail are one of those amazing creatures that randomly come and go at the drop of a hat, i come across one at Balmoral off the jetty in January this year, another mate got one off Gladesville.

They have apparently been on in Newcastle for the last month but according to a pro fisho mate the numbers are down on the last couple of seasons.

Cheers

Andy

Hair tail are one of those amazing creatures that randomly come and go at the drop of a hat, i come across one at Balmoral off the jetty in January this year, another mate got one off Gladesville.

They have apparently been on in Newcastle for the last month but according to a pro fisho mate the numbers are down on the last couple of seasons.

Cheers

Andy

yeah true, right place right time scenario, the coal and candle creek is way more consistent for them than Sydney Harbour, but what the hell I will give 40 baskets another go

yeah that's the spot, I don't know if you can view it somewhere, but Al Macglahson has 30 minute show on it, they caught heaps of them in between the boat moorings and they got them during the day

if you view the show, you can see where they fished

I gave it a crack there about 4 weeks ago, got not hairies, but we got few decent trevally, a big flattie and some big tailer, so even if they are not there, there is some fun bi-catch

worth a shot, you need ganged pilies on very a light sinker on light spinning gear and drop it about half way down, its only 8m deep

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Thanks for that, might give it a shot on Saturday and see if anything is about, I'll shout out if there are any around.

You should come join the social chasing hairtail in the hawkesbury if you can! Happy to provide you with some places to try!

Cheers scratchie!!!

You should come join the social chasing hairtail in the hawkesbury if you can! Happy to provide you with some places to try!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Would love to Jeff but timing is not ideal, still hoping I can get out for a few hours saturday locally.