Help Quintrex paint pitting around non standard items

timmy180883

Hi Raiders,

I purchased a 2006 quintrex coast runner with a 60hp 4 stroke, I am very happy with the boat.

The only downside is the paint is pitting around non standard items.

I'm sure the screws are stainless steel that they used (the previous owner said he had a marine shop fit the products).

I have attached some pics of the boat and affected areas, All the items that were fitted from quintrex are in perfect condition so I cant blame them lol.

I would appreciate any advice on how to fix the issue, I understand that getting the paint from telwater is impossible. Do I need to apply a primer? Please help me !!!!!!!!!! Thanks

post-34255-0-72013400-1406070938_thumb.jpgpost-34255-0-87158700-1406070955_thumb.jpgpost-34255-0-29839900-1406070991_thumb.jpgpost-34255-0-64723500-1406071004_thumb.jpgpost-34255-0-53422900-1406071015_thumb.jpgpost-34255-0-39108200-1406071026_thumb.jpg

Getting the paint from Telwater is very simple and comes in handy spray cans-you can even buy the primer from them. We do an order and have the paint here in a few days-can not simpler than that.. The way to fix it is elbow grease and time to rub back, clean and re-paint. Refit with alloy rivets too.

What your experiencing is galvanic corrosion. it is caused by two dissimilar metals (aluminium and stainless steel) in the presence of an electrolite (sea water/non pure fresh water). This causes an electrical potential which will errode the less noble metal or anode (aluminium). Its the same theory behind a lead acid battery.

Insulating dissimilar metals from comming in contact with one another will eleviate this issue, as well as using alloy rivets as already pointed out.

G'day mate,

common problem from poor preparation during fitment of parts.

To prevent problem re-occuring you need to clean all components down and insulate the disimilar metals.

On my 2004 Seajay i removed all the fittings and applied Tefgel which is a teflon/silicon insulator to the threads and mating surfaces.

This product is one of many available to do this job and it is well worth the few time taken.

What your experiencing is galvanic corrosion. it is caused by two dissimilar metals (aluminium and stainless steel) in the presence of an electrolite (sea water/non pure fresh water). This causes an electrical potential which will errode the less noble metal or anode (aluminium). Its the same theory behind a lead acid battery.

Insulating dissimilar metals from comming in contact with one another will eleviate this issue, as well as using alloy rivets as already pointed out.

Hey Timmy,

That was my 12 month Quintrex report ... yours is a clear case of galvanic corrosion as mentioned by OutdoorDan. The advice given here is spot on and the sooner you do it the better.

Cheers

Jim

I placed a post on how to prevent corrosion some time ago. I used stepped plastic insulating washers that separate the SS from the aluminium. 100 % effective.

If you search the topic you should be able to find that post.

Cheers

Paikea

• 9 years later...

Sorry that I am a bit late to comment ,but Just think Why do they Paint Aroplanes ,to make look Nice Yes but more importantly to protect the Aluminum Qantas paint there Plane every 10 years and Wash their planes Regulaly Some Air Line polish  their planes topside but paint the under size Grey  ( Souurce Google )

Now the the Bottom line is You must Wash Your Boat like You wash your Dinner Plate if your Boat is  not Painted and you happen to leave some salt spay on it the salt will promote corrozion and pitting ,now if your boat is Painted You Still have wash the same way but it is Heaps easier and the Boat looks Good especially when You sell It

I use use one of the salt Removers and detergent 

So Good Luck Twistyo

That’s not corrosion from lack of washing or anything like that, it’s poor prep when it was new, and dissimilar metals in contact with each other. Bare aluminium if the correct grade does not need to be painted.

• Like 1