Quick Hacking Session

Krispy !

I headed down to the hacking at around 0830 this morning to kill abit of time with the runout tide. Didnt take any bait, just a squidjig, some lures and some hooks just incase. It was raining when I arrived and only 1 other person there so I was optimistic about getting something worthwhile. Plenty of baitfish around so I thought there would probably be some squid lurking around, and I was right. First 3 casts resulted in 3 nice sized arrow squid. Then I tried flicking lures around, I matched the hatch with the baitfish that were around and I hooked something which I thought was a tailor but as it came closer I realised it was a whiting, the first time id ever hooked one on a metal lure. He was only just hooked in the lip and as I tried lifting him over he found his freedom with a couple of headshakes. I also managed to hook a small baitfish in one of the trebles so I set it out on my other rod and continued flicking the metal. About 10 minutes later my other rod buckled over and a nice trevally of 40 cm surfaced. Managed to lift him over without a problem and sashimi was sorted. Called it a day soon after.

post-11865-0-34992300-1406254971_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krispy !

You caught a feed Krispy, that's what matters.

Any size on the whiting? Caught a couple, years ago now and just legal, on a metal tailor lure when I bounced it on the bottom in shallow water on a couple of occasions. Have even caught a couple of larger squid bouncing a metal lure on the bottom in deeper water.

You caught a feed Krispy, that's what matters.

Any size on the whiting? Caught a couple, years ago now and just legal, on a metal tailor lure when I bounced it on the bottom in shallow water on a couple of occasions. Have even caught a couple of larger squid bouncing a metal lure on the bottom in deeper water.

It would have been legal, maybe around 31-32 cms.

anyone that eats raw fish should read up on parasites that may/can be transmitted , i personally have caught many trevally that had flesh eating parasites in them , you will not see them but when you fillet a fish you will find flesh missing along the backbone near the gut cavity , i also find that trevally that have them usually don't fight as hard and generally are 35cm +

anyone that eats raw fish should read up on parasites that may/can be transmitted , i personally have caught many trevally that had flesh eating parasites in them , you will not see them but when you fillet a fish you will find flesh missing along the backbone near the gut cavity , i also find that trevally that have them usually don't fight as hard and generally are 35cm +

Thanks mate personally ive never had a problem but will keep a lookout