A funny thing happened.....

Ryder

It seems like the rain has been following me on the landscape maintenance route.

We started late today, and got washed out on our first job in Strathfield, so we headed back to East Ryde to finish a job that has been rained out twice.

We took a break for lunch at a park in the street. My mate says 'hey there's a big chicken'.

I recognised it was a rooster, it had a bit of a tail. Probably released from a school egg raising project, because you can't keep roosters in Sydney.

Anyway, we were sitting in the ute just watching him scrounge around and he started coming towards us. I was about to throw him a few crumbs, when a Magpie swoops down out of nowhere and attacks him.

The rooster must have struck back because the next thing we know, the Magpie flies into the cab of the ute in a panic.

My mate jumps out laughing, and I'm trying to catch this thing while its trying to fly out thru the windscreen,

whilst poohing all over me.

I gently got hold of of it and passed it out the drivers window.

It flew across the street and landed on the nature strip where it was promptly attacked by 6 angry noisey minas.

It all took place in about 10 seconds, me and my mate were both going 'what just happened?'.

No kidding, this happened in Bird St East Ryde.

The rooster is still there, the Magpie flew away and we got to the job and it started pouring.

....I'm trying to catch this thing while its trying to fly out thru the windscreen,

whilst poohing all over me...

Hahaha, unfortunately that's what birds do when they are scared. Had this happen to me on a number of occasions when I've tried to catch birds.

Edited by nbdshroom

Try catching a pelican !!

Usually have a pelican or 2 turn up when I motor back home to clean the fish, plus the usual seagulls.

A few years back, a pelican swam in and walked up the ramp, but he had trouble walking, as there was a fish hook in one foot with some attached line and the line was wrapped around one wing. Every time I stood up, the pelican waddled away but to too fast for me to catch him. He could swim and waddle along, but could not fly.

I found the biggest landing net in the boatshed, placed it beside me, and threw little bits of fish scraps towards him, so that he walked closer to me. When he was very close, I picked up the landing net and dropped it over his head, jumped up and grabbed him before he could fly away. It was like holding onto a set of bagpipes that wouldn't stop moving, one hand around the beak and the body tucked in under my arm, with the legs kicking away as well.

As soon as I grabbed him, all the seagulls started squawking like mad, they must have thought I was taking the pelican home for the cooking pot. When the pelican stopped moving, I unwrapped the fishing line and pulled out the hook. Put him on the ground and he started flapping his wings about, then he slowed down and flew off.

When you try and untangle a bloody seagull, all the obnoxious little bastards want to do is bite you.

I caught an Albatross once whilst throwing metal lures into a school of salmon. Got the poor thing on board the boat and calmed it down to get the lure out of its beak, and once we had it free it went nuts running around the boat pecking everything.

Somewhere in the resultant confusion my rod and reel fell overboard before the bird eventually took off

I caught an Albatross once whilst throwing metal lures into a school of salmon. Got the poor thing on board the boat and calmed it down to get the lure out of its beak, and once we had it free it went nuts running around the boat pecking everything.

Somewhere in the resultant confusion my rod and reel fell overboard before the bird eventually took off

Never allow an albatross to land on your boat, old sailors tale is that it will bring you bad luck (your rod and reel fell overboard :mad3: )

I've hooked up into mutton birds on more than one occasion when trolling. Pecked and bitten to pieces when trying to free them.

I can't imagine how tough it would be dealing with something as big as a pelican or albatross!

Next time, throw a towel over their head, quietens them straight down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yowie you take the cake with the following comment:

"It was like holding onto a set of bagpipes that wouldn't stop moving, one hand around the beak and the body tucked in under my arm, with the legs kicking away as well."

Love it, so descriptive.

Cheers

Paikea