Hawkesbury after recent rain

cowandave

Hi

Ive been surprised how fishless the Hawkesbury has been (at least for me) recently. I thought the rain might have stirred things up a bit.

Ive tried the deepwater close to shore around the entrance to smiths creek in both daytime and night time sessions with very poor results. As discoloured water sits on the top of the water column I thought there might be some action below in these deepish waters - not to be.

Having failed in the tinnie I then tried land based around flint and steel to see if closer to the entrance might be firing. Flicked half pilli's around for hours. Couldn't even attract pickers.

Anybody got any comments, or similar/different experiences over recent days?

cheers

Hey mate, I've had similar experiences in the hawkesbo over many year but in recent times I've always managed a feed. In winter, other than hairtail, I don't bother as there are a lot more productive areas especially after a big rain! That's my experience!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I honesty wouldn't bother fishing the hawkesbury for a few weeks at least. Very very rarely does it produce in the colder months. Some people might disagree but it's certainly an overwhelming occurance. Our boat is moored in Brooklyn so we are restricted to the hawkesbury area. We ALWAYS go to the inshore reefs out from barrenjoey now. Waste of fuel and time otherwise. Probably out of the question if you're in a tinny. Big jewies is probably the only thing id try and target if I was fishing the river. Weathers starting to warm up so things will hopefully start improving

Only good for hairtail and that's my target this weekend

Incorrect.

The river right now is fishing very well for black fish, whiting, school jew, pan size snapper in Pittwater, gar fish, leather jacket, salmon and tailor.

In fact I get more species in winter in the hawkesbury them summer.

Incorrect.

The river right now is fishing very well for black fish, whiting, school jew, pan size snapper in Pittwater, gar fish, leather jacket, salmon and tailor.

In fact I get more species in winter in the hawkesbury them summer.

im heading up this weekend jamestown, are you just fishing in pittwater?? or more up in the hawkesbury??

I honesty wouldn't bother fishing the hawkesbury for a few weeks at least. Very very rarely does it produce in the colder months. Some people might disagree but it's certainly an overwhelming occurance. Our boat is moored in Brooklyn so we are restricted to the hawkesbury area. We ALWAYS go to the inshore reefs out from barrenjoey now. Waste of fuel and time otherwise. Probably out of the question if you're in a tinny. Big jewies is probably the only thing id try and target if I was fishing the river. Weathers starting to warm up so things will hopefully start improving

I respectfully disagree mate, i've been fishing the hawkesbury since i was about 4 and we've always pulled the bigger and better fish in the winter. The freshwater in this volume destroys the hakwebury though, yes there is is some clear water underneath but the amount of rubbish that runs through the river after these rains keeps most fish in hiding. I agree you want to wait a few weeks to fish there to let the rubbish settle. And dont forget an important part of the hawksebury is, if you want to catch fish, fish the small tides. Big tides in the hawkesbury are bad news.

I respectfully disagree mate, i've been fishing the hawkesbury since i was about 4 and we've always pulled the bigger and better fish in the winter. The freshwater in this volume destroys the hakwebury though, yes there is is some clear water underneath but the amount of rubbish that runs through the river after these rains keeps most fish in hiding. I agree you want to wait a few weeks to fish there to let the rubbish settle. And dont forget an important part of the hawksebury is, if you want to catch fish, fish the small tides. Big tides in the hawkesbury are bad news.

Spot on