WATER IN THE HULL QUESTION

Guest stephanb79

Guest stephanb79

Hey guys

I have a question I have a brand new stacer 489 fitted with live bait tank the last couple of outings I've notice when we get to the ramp and undo the bung plug there is heaps of water runs out maybe 10 to 20 litters is this normal I been on a few boat and I've never seen that much water come out !!!

Even Saturday night fishing in the cowan after about 3 hours the bilge pump turn on and pump the water out so it must be a leak some where ????

just would like to know if its normal to take on that much water its my first boat so not to sure

thanks

Guest stephanb79

Definitely sounds like something wrong there...my Quintrex is 10 years old and I hardly ever have even a drop come out from the bungs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah I know ive been on boat and every time I take the bungs out there's never really any water comes out

Guest stephanb79

Did you turn your live bait tank on? Could be fittings not done up properly or I know there was a faulty batch of livewell pumps a while back that leaked badly I had one in my boat and it was replaced free of charge by the dealer

I didnt have the pump on bit the tank was filled by the scoop and when we got to our location I turned off the water inlet so really nothing was on only had water in the livewell , which livewell had the problem ??? I rang my dealer and they told me to fill the boat up with water and see if water come out under the boat or from the fittings I did that but the bilge pump come on and pumps it back out so I guess I will have to take it back to them dam

Guest stephanb79

Just disconnect the pump and it wasn't raining was it ???

i was going to do that but i didnt just in case something happen its still under warranty . it rain a bit on Saturday but even when i went out the other day there was still heaps of water in the hull do other members boat get water in there hull????

Guest stephanb79

Why are u assuming coming from bait tank?

I have had a new boat leak thru the motor bolt holes that were not sealed properly

When out on water laid down under back deck and watched till I saw the source of drip building the water there

True that's what I thought it might be ill have to have a good look next time I'm out in the water

i was going to do that but i didnt just in case something happen its still under warranty . it rain a bit on Saturday but even when i went out the other day there was still heaps of water in the hull do other members boat get water in there hull????

No, you shouldn't be getting that much water in there. It's coming in from a leak in the boat somewhere, bait pump set up, rain, water splashing in or kids secretly filling it up when you are not looking hahaha.

You can disconnect the battery then fill the hull with water and check. Check hoses and fittings as well.

With these sorts of situations , it's generally a matter of trial & error checking the areas others have mentioned , LBT both inlet & outlet / drain , Bungs , motor mounting bolts etc .

It's unlikely there is a split in the hull but needs to be checked as described previously.

Check the areas under different conditions , when at rest , on the plane , LBT pump on & off.

An initional check of the LBT can be done at home. Hook the hose up to the bracket pick up tube , hose on , pump on & see what happens.

Once identified ,I think you will find it will be quite easy to fix.

Geoff

Guest stephanb79

The live well could have possibly totally filled and over flowed into the boat.

I dont think so I have the overflow 50mm under

I dont think so I have the overflow 50mm under

Sounds OK in theory but if you have a big pump , say 500 or 750gph & the std outlet then there is a good chance it will overflow.

Don't discount this aspect.

Geoff

Guest stephanb79

Sounds OK in theory but if you have a big pump , say 500 or 750gph & the std outlet then there is a good chance it will overflow.

Don't discount this aspect.

Geoff

yeah true I dont know what pump is on it I think ill take it back and let them sort the problem out there has to be a problem some where I think

Guest stephanb79

thanks for all your input guys im going to take it back to the dealer and they can sort the problem out i dont think i should me chasing it as its a brand new boat and , as it might be easy to fix it my self ,if down the line something else happens then it might not covered under warranty

its a brand new boat take it back.

do not do anything yourself as its under warranty for what both the manufacturer and the dealer did in fitting it out.

ive seen people bugger their boats by literally filling it with water and buckling the bottom hull with the weight.

What you will find is the tank leaks at the top, underneath the hull. I had the exact problem because the tank was not fitted flush with the hull. What you can do is run a bead of silicone under your hull at the top of you tank. This is where your tank is mounted to the underside of you hull. You won't have any leaks after this I can assure you. Cheers

yeah true I dont know what pump is on it I think ill take it back and let them sort the problem out there has to be a problem some where I think

Good move.

If its a new boat its not your problem. You might spend hours finding the issue and then you may still not have the resources to fix it.

Perhaps give the boat a good going over first to make sure you can report any other concerns to them at the same time to save having to get the boat here and back which detracts from fishing time!

Edited by fragmeister

Guest stephanb79

Hey guys I took the boat back and they found two problems

1st one was a leak in the live bait pump

2nd one was there was a split in the oring on the bung which I didnt see but when I ok the oring it was really hard so the new oring I out grease around it

so ill take it out on Saturday and lets see what happens

thanks for all your advice appreciate it