Canal lizards and bream

thefisherman6784

G'day raiders

Today we couldn't get out on the boat so we went to the the canal and decided to invite adamski and witha. Witha couldn't make it unfortunalty but Adam came.
Headed down there at 6:30am to fish till 11:30 and when Adam got there we headed for Le' montage cause the canal was very low at dead low tide.
Spent about two hours there and Seamus caught I small flattie
post-33634-14105956363329_thumb.jpg
34 cm

And a tiny bream
41c01b0d4e096a222664fedcb82e5977.jpg

Then we were off to the canal and before you know it, I was on, and it was BIG!! I called it for a Sophie and it turned out to be an amazing 57cm flattie
9c2e6f37d3e534c0aac84e35ff301fdc.jpg
badd9960d7f21fe72dab7cb01215705e.jpg
17796ccee00a0b29b29fd0d492390246.jpg
Then next I got another nice 41cm flattie
d16b713f6aaaf244bef697ee79397374.jpg
And then yet again another 41cm by me
1852ab2adc067c2d98a2cfc439f2a524.jpg
Then Seamus got a great bream of 30cm on a wriggler
fe3d7866e32dd6c0905b97ee5481b831.jpg
2c835c64fcc4c822eb4e996d27bbd554.jpg
Which had a false eye
1f0a61232766cd733a57d1cdb7df46a4.jpg
And then about 20mins later I hooked another monster
Turned out to be a beast of salmon easily 70cm+ but chafed the leader and was gone
I was devastated and in the canal to
Then I ran into some other kid fisherman and he got a approx. 45kg monster
a1294016e808626f7f20abc7d553a115.jpg
Ouch!!!!
After that we got nothing but Adam will put up some pics of me fighting the salmon
What a great day and hoping witha can come next time

Cheers thefisherman6784

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

what a great day out one of the best we have had in the canal

we all got too many hits to count and lots of pulled hooks

that salmon was very big and there was heaps of bait and some bust ups so there was bound to be one hanging around

hopefully we can get together soon and adam can get some FISH

cheers sydneyfisher12

Well done champion. There's some great fish there and that 45kg monster looked pretty well hooked! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Haha

Well funnily enough, he was freaking out saying don't touch it, don't pull it out, at one point he wanted to call 000 but no one had the guts to try get it out so after having 4 experiences with hook in me, I new what I was doing. He was willing to pull it through, then cut the barb off but that didn't work so I decided to pull it out and I just slipped out, he didn't even know and I was past the barb to

Such a fine gauge hook to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by thefisherman6784

Hey guys,

What a great day's fishing, you two pulled out some absolute crackers!!! It was nice to meet you both and cheers for all the tips about SPs, you guys are a treasure trove of useful fishing info (that sharp pull on the line to get you out of snags has already saved me about 5 times).

Here are my pics, I'm really sorry that there aren't any of the salmon jumping :(

Seamus draws first blood:

post-33473-0-76724100-1410597600_thumb.jpg

Gianni's 57 cm flattie:

post-33473-0-00127600-1410597629_thumb.jpg

Gianni releasing his lizard:

post-33473-0-65898200-1410597650_thumb.jpg

Seamus' bream:

post-33473-0-00401700-1410597695_thumb.jpg

Another flattie (can't remember whose this was- lost count of you guys after a while ;) ):

post-33473-0-10210000-1410597678_thumb.jpg

Gianni fighting the salmon:

post-33473-0-44409300-1410597710_thumb.jpg

Cheers again,

Adam

Far out! You guys had everything happening there didn't you!

Great fishing and another great report, it had everything, good fish, excitement, disappointment and an ear piercing!

What else could you ask for!.

One of these days I am going to have to visit this amazing canal that seems to produce so often for you guys.

Cheers

Jim

Haha

Well funnily enough, he was freaking out saying don't touch it, don't pull it out, at one point he wanted to call 000 but no one had the guts to try get it out so after having 4 experiences with hook in me, I new what I was doing. He was willing to pull it through, then cut the barb off but that didn't work so I decided to pull it out and I just slipped out, he didn't even know and I was past the barb to

Such a fine gauge hook to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gianni you better go to Uni and do Medicine at that rate!

Very good report and you get extra stars for wearing your Fishraider hat :)

Donna

So the young bloke went & got his ear pierced even when you told him not to:)

That canal fishing looks like fun!

haha

i saw him trying to flick his lure out of the tree and i thought to my self this aint gonna end well or the leader will break and i thought the leader was going to break cause it was 4lb.

he walks back with his line slack saying we got a problem and im saying to myself, oh no he lost his $20 yo zuri lure and he turns to the side with it in his ear

and yes that canal is awesome fun getting those great fish

cheers thefisherman6784

It is quite amazing what can turn up in that particular canal. I have fished it over the past 15 or so years. Huge bream, 90cm flathead, large stingrays, big whiting, mudcrabs, decent jews, big mullet and even caught a long necked turtle one day. Have fished it with bait very rarely, mainly used small hard bodies, poppers, plastics and of late fly. Congrats on your efforts and good to see catch and release.

Matcho.

It is quite amazing what can turn up in that particular canal. I have fished it over the past 15 or so years. Huge bream, 90cm flathead, large stingrays, big whiting, mudcrabs, decent jews, big mullet and even caught a long necked turtle one day. Have fished it with bait very rarely, mainly used small hard bodies, poppers, plastics and of late fly. Congrats on your efforts and good to see catch and release.

Matcho.

wow there some great fish mate

What fly do you use in there and what do you chase with it

wow there some great fish mate

What fly do you use in there and what do you chase with it

Olive and dark olive fuzzel and woolly buggers, crazy charlies, and any small shrimp/squid imitations. There really isn't any limitations. Have caught bream on a dry fly as well when the flying ants are out. Mullet will take bread flies but you need to burley them up with bread and bream will take them as well. It is pretty hard to target specific species down there except for the mullet, it's a lucky dip really. Just be careful with the backcasts though because of "Doggie Park", and trees on the eastern side although its not too bad up at the boat ramp casting up to the pylons of both bridges. There are some spots near the tennis courts on the western side which have a bit of space, mainly use a roll cast but in all reality you dont need to cast that far because at best the canal is less than 10 metres wide.

Good luck.

Ken.

Adam,

As I said, the canal has a load of different fish, I have caught kings on blades not far from the mouth and seen salmon not too far away at Callan Park, but salmon in the canal, not so sure. I would say that you have got tied up with one of the massive mullet that are often there. Have foul hooked one myself and the end result was the same. I hope you can prove me wrong on the future. They look very similar to salmon and I reckon go even harder! Anyhow great effort, it is so funny that people walk past locations like this and areas nearby and have no idea what potential there is. When I first started flyfishing in Iron Cove over near the Aquatic Club the walkers on the bay run would look on with the old "no trout in there" comment. When they see the rod bent and good whiting, bream, flathead and small snapper some stop and chew their words. Anyhow water is starting to warm, have tied some new flies over winter, I'll be there soon.

Ken.

Adam,

As I said, the canal has a load of different fish, I have caught kings on blades not far from the mouth and seen salmon not too far away at Callan Park, but salmon in the canal, not so sure. I would say that you have got tied up with one of the massive mullet that are often there. Have foul hooked one myself and the end result was the same. I hope you can prove me wrong on the future. They look very similar to salmon and I reckon go even harder! Anyhow great effort, it is so funny that people walk past locations like this and areas nearby and have no idea what potential there is. When I first started flyfishing in Iron Cove over near the Aquatic Club the walkers on the bay run would look on with the old "no trout in there" comment. When they see the rod bent and good whiting, bream, flathead and small snapper some stop and chew their words. Anyhow water is starting to warm, have tied some new flies over winter, I'll be there soon.

Ken.

i have foul hooked many mullet in there me and thefisherman6784 have fished the system for about 3 years now i know what a salmon looks like i have caught plenty before and i have caught many mullet too i 100% know that it was a salmon there was tonnes of bait and there were a lot of bust ups happening. we also spoke to those other kids who were fishing the other canal an they had hooked a few salmon on poppers but they were also busting them off just because of there size and the light gear we were using the one thefisherman674 hooked was easily 70cm+ it was huge and jumped over 30 times we had it right near the net but it chafed the 6lb leader right a the net. i have also seen salmon busting up there before. the mullet usually just jump clean out of the water or just make a bow wave.

100% salmon

cheers sydneyfisher12