Soft plastics for flathead

GoingFishing

Hi All

My favourite eating fish is the humble flathead, though in an ironic and evil twist Mother Nature seems to give me other species.

The question is, are there any soft plastics that the flathead prefer and consistently perform better than other soft plastics ?

I currently target them with some 100mm paddle tails in mullet/sardine type colors and the gulp nuclear chicken 100mm.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Sam

Hey man, I'm a complete novice flattie fisher so not sure how much this is worth, but all of my little lizards recently have come on 80 mm wrigglers (pro range seems to produce more than the normal ones)- either wasabi or bloodworm- on a 1/8th jighead in fairly shallow water (1-2 metres).

From what other people tell me, it's not so much the lure profile as the weight that's important when flathead fishing. As long as you're making contact with the bottom, you should get something.

Most of the time I use zman 2.5" grub in motor oil.

Interestingly on Tuesday arvo I went out for a flick and only had one touch on the zman. Tried a few different spots then about an hour later changed to a berkley gulp 2.5" minnow in pumpkin seed.

First cast tap tap tap. Then constant taps and nibbles apart every cast. Small whiting I'm pretty sure. Had a couple if hookups and drops on most likely small flathead and landed a flattie about 30cm.

The only thing is that in less than an hour of using gulps I used 5 of them due to loosing the tails to fish.

Where as the zmans I can used for 4 - 5 sessions without them being damaged.

Almost felt like changing to bait when I used the gulps

Me and my son are only new to SPs and he has had good success with flatheads using the Zman MinnowZ 4" in 'Morning Glory' colour.

He has scored at least one flathead in the last 3 outings with this SP from 34cm to 57cm.

So he is beating me as I use a blade, looks like I need to change to an SP.

Flathead will take different lures on different days, don't ask me why! I use a 1/8 jig with either a 100mm bloodworm wriggler, 100mm silver fox or 5in shad in pearl or pilchard. Most of my good fish are caught in 2-3m of water! And high tide especially in the arvo!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I use any of the berkely gulp jerk shads, though my favourite colour would have to be satay chicken then camo. The squidgie whipbaits in black/gold and pilchard. 1/8 to 1/6 jig head with a 2/0 hook. I agree with scratchie that most of my better sizes have come from shallower water. Lately while targeting jews I have landed some nice size flatties on soft vibes, the only drama I have then is the trebles.